What have you got planned for 2020?

Started by fsn, 08 January 2020, 07:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

08 January 2020, 07:59:19 AM Last Edit: 08 January 2020, 08:22:19 AM by fsn
As the final year of the decade opens*, and with 2019 being somewhat of an eventful year for me I was wondering if you chaps had any plans for 2020?** I shall pose this as some questions:

1) What unfinished projects from 2019 do you plan to finish in 2020?

2) What new projects are you planning?

3) Which Pendraken releases are you most looking forward to?

4) Are there any new rulesets you're looking to play?

5) Are there any new painting/modelling/gaming aids you're planning to try?

6) Have you set yourself any targets?

* Yes it is. We didn't start on year 0, so the first decade was years 1-10, which means this decade is 2011-2020
**It can be taken as a given that any plans may survive only until the next Pendraken release
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

08 January 2020, 08:20:37 AM #1 Last Edit: 08 January 2020, 08:25:40 AM by fsn
I suppose I ought to answer ...

Definitely Flodden English  :( and Arabs to go up against Normans in Sicily ... trying not to get distracted by Lombards.    

I've also got two carriers worth of tiny 1944 Pacific aircraft to paint (Corsairs and the like), and from a few years ago some 1:600 ships and I'm part way through buying bits and pieces for a Byzantine force.

Well ... sort of ... the Napoleonics. this will be the main focus of 2020. I'd like to get the Bavarians, Wurttembergers, Brits, and Prussians purchased. I've got the Brunswickers (insert lewd comment here), and I plan on painting at least 2 of these armies in 2020.

I'm trying not to look forward to Pendraken releases ... they just appear and derail my carefully laid plans.

The Greeks will be of interest. I shall probably buy a small number of Samurai, paint them, be disappointed, and go off the whole idea. If anyone does have a simple but effective way of painting Samurai, please keep it to yourself.

WWII Italian artillery - definitely.

If Yom Kippur gets squeezed into 2020 that would be of huge interest ... if only for the opportunity to fields some more of the best tanks ever. 

I'm lacking a suitable set of air war rules. I've tried writing some, but they're not quite right yet.

Posca pens. I bought the white and black ones, and was quite impressed.

To field two sizeable Napoleonic armies by the end of 2020.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

I have a range of Indian Ocean / Age of Exploration contingents for Dragon Rampant (Osprey).
2020 is the year of painting to get these finished.
This involves painting:
2 traditional Japanese Factions.
One faction of Japanese Yokai.
Three Indian factions.
A few extras to allow a Colonial Portuguese force to morph into an Italian Wars or Colonial Venetian faction.

If I finish that lot, I have a pile of 6mm French Napoleonic that I'd like to get painted.

Nothing that involves purchasing lead, however I'd like to:
Improve my terrain collection.
Assemble the various buildings and hedges that I have purchased
Improve my tree situation

No plans yet, but I usually succumb to the siren voices by the time Carronade comes around.

Not new, but I'm keen to try out Irregular Wars (Nicholas Wright).  http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/p/irregular-wars-conflict-at-worlds-end.html

10mm seems ideal for this set of rules.
Being a set of rules that concentrates on the lesser known world, figure availability is a bit of a challenge.
I'm confident I can improvise something from renaissance and colonial ranges.

6) Have you set yourself any targets?[/b]

Paint the three Indian factions mentioned above.
Attend a couple of shows.
Play more games with Westmarcher.

Chad

1) 15mm French Revolution- British, Hanoverian and Hessian.
2) Probably none.
3) None of any interest to me at the moment
4) Bataille Empire, FOB3 when it appears and my own rules for the French Revolution.
5) No
6) At my age not much point in setting targets other than to still be alive at the end of 2020

FierceKitty

1) What unfinished projects from 2019 do you plan to finish in 2020? Flocking and envegetating bases as needful; Napoleonic naval and marine forces.

2) What new projects are you planning?  The naval one is a pretty big project already. But if my professional life expands a bit, perhaps a super-quick-play WOTR collection to go with Kingmaker. This will be on the small side, however, as the WOTR were, after all. A few more WWII tanks to allow a bit of variety. Perhaps a few more Swiss and Landsknechts.

3) Which Pendraken releases are you most looking forward to?Japanese. I need a few more ashigaru. Like every player of Japanese battles, I've got a disproportionately large number of samurai.

4) Are there any new rulesets you're looking to play? I'll be trying GW's Trafalgar, and probably my own WIP Rum, Buggery, and the Lash.

Mousepad rubber printed gaming mat, assuming I'm still alive by the time it gets here from Moscow.

6) Have you set yourself any targets? Do a bit every day, and try not to fret at incomplete projects.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Nothing major carrying over, more a case of stuff that's been on the go for years.

WWII Germans and ImagiNations.

Peninsula range and WWII Italian artillery.

Nope, trying to keep to a few core rulesets. We will give Age of Hannibal a go though.

Nope.

ACW and WWII campaigns, with WWII Germans for France 1940 and ImagiNations forces.

Chris Pringle

I am focused on publishing scholarly military history translations - should have three coming out this year, with a couple more in the works already. The Hungary 1848 book relates to my ongoing project to wargame the war.
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/hungary-1848-the-winter-campaign.php?sid=1120fbae5faaaa46756d161be883eaae&fbclid=IwAR27p6I9UcYMfMzC0V5T1PyBaaEiQOGJlh2PjzCVTv899hbpug9OBGhfIFM

Hungary 1848 campaign scenarios. All these have been written and playtested at least once. However, they need revision on the basis of further research. My 2020 project is therefore to refight all the revised scenarios, then publish a BBB campaign book. That won't be finished in 2020; hopefully 2021. We've been using Dave's 10mm Pendraken armies but I really ought to get my own Hungarian army. That will entail me deciding what troops to get and specifying the uniforms etc for whoever paints the army for me. (Sorry but it will be 6mm to fight my existing 6mm Austrians and Russians - wouldn't be fair to make them face enemies 67% taller than them.)

I'm not much of a customer for Pendraken or anyone else these days, I have plenty of armies and like to get maximum use out of those I already have.

Last year I discovered Frank Chadwick's operational-level WWII ruleset, 'Breakthrough!', which is still in playtest. I hope to get more games in using that.

Nope

2019 was a bit too intense on the translation and publication front - this year the idea is actually to ease off a bit. No targets.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles/topics
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What unfinished projects from 2019 do you plan to finish in 2020? Hausa 15mm, Armada, Mortal Gods

2) What new projects are you planning? Dacians, German Imperialists and South Koreans

3) Which Pendraken releases are you most looking forward to? Greeks

4) Are there any new rulesets you're looking to play? nope, but sure there will be by 11 months time.

5) Are there any new painting/modelling/gaming aids you're planning to try? no

6) Have you set yourself any targets? Finish Hausa, Mortal God's, mares cavalry and another mates Mortal God's...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 08 January 2020, 07:59:19 AM
As the final year of the decade opens*, and with 2019 being somewhat of an eventful year for me I was wondering if you chaps had any plans for 2020?** I shall pose this as some questions:

Nobby  This is a very dangerous question for three reasons.

1  I will realise how big my lead/resin/Plastic Mountain is, and have to agree (in principle)with Mrs Orcs that I should paint what I have before buying more
2  This list of things on my plan will be very long, although  I will only achieve half of it
3  As I am unlikely to resist buying more stuff in 2020 - (I have an 15mm Babylonian order planned , a 20mm resin church due next week, and no doubt other purchases I don't know about yet) I could be stretching Mrs Orcs very flexible patience too far.

Rebase 1200 + 10 mm ACW - This was on last Years list
Finish 10mm WW2 Polish This was on last years list
Paint large 10mm Parthian army - This was on last years list
Finish 10 mm French Foriegn Legion and Arabs (Blame Sunjester for this )
20mm WW2 Germans and British.

Master bedroom redecoration and fitted cupboards etc.
28mm Dwarf Warband for Frostgrave , for the next campaign. (We field a new Warband each campaign)
15mm Babylonian army.
Build and paint 28mm Hobbit Village From TTC  (Blame Sunjester for that one)
Try Mortem et Gloriam rules and possibly reorganise armies to fit

Trying to avoid looking at the Greek and Persian ranges

Mortem et Gloriam

Yes , using silly putty as a mask when using airbrush to do camo on 20mm tanks

Should this not read "have you set yourself any realistic targets that you are likely to achieve? "

The only target I have is not getting into trouble with Mrs Orcs ( but see above)   :D

* Yes it is. We didn't start on year 0, so the first decade was years 1-10, which means this decade is 2011-2020
**It can be taken as a given that any plans may survive only until the next Pendraken release

[/quote]
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

petercooman

Napoleonic armies for sharpe practise, a d&d adventure system title and my walking dead stuff.

Nothing special, i am awaiting delivery of the lion rampant and dragon rampant rulebooks, so we will see what that brings us!

Hoplites!

See nr 2!

Ordered myself a lasercut measuring tool to see if i like it better than using a tapemeasure, nothing really different otherwise.

yes on my 2020 painting thread: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19309.0.html

Westmarcher

Plans?    :-\

Plans!?    ;D =O =O ;D

.... suspect my new grandson will have something to say about that in the forthcoming year ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

1/3,000th cargo ships, finished :D

10 DBA armies for the Punic Wars

New Ancient Greeks, required for the above :-w

No, we've reached peak rules @-)

None as yet

1. Try and play some of these that we didn't get a chance to in 2019:
    V&B 10mm AWI, home grown Napoleonic naval, V&B 6mm Napoleonic, GQ I/II Pre-dreadnought naval, GQ I/II WWI naval, Spearhead 6mm WWII, Modern Spearhead 6mm 1980s
2. 10 DBA armies for the Punic wars
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 08 January 2020, 06:07:06 PM
Plans?    :-

Plans!?    ;D =O =O ;D

.... suspect my new grandson will have something to say about that in the forthcoming year ....

Plans are good, Baldrick always has one - unfailingly cunning.

Kiwidave

09 January 2020, 09:47:10 AM #13 Last Edit: 09 January 2020, 10:55:25 AM by Kiwidave
28mm late Republican Romans for LadG
15mm late Imperial Romans for LadG
28mm Rus for SAGA
10mm Winter Eastern Front Germans and Russians (these are actually from about 5 years ago!)

None so far, although I did impulse-buy some 15mm Eastern European medieval figures last year, so maybe them.

None at the moment

No. I have settled on the rules that I like, so unlikely to get anything new. Plus my memory is appalling, so trying to remember more new stuff is not ideal.

No

Not really, as I invariably never meet them. Maybe actually finishing a project this year?

pierre the shy

1) What unfinished projects from 2019 past years ;) do you plan to finish in 2020?
Run a refight of the Battle of Dunbar
Run the Buffaloes over Singapore campaign proper - only played 3 test games so far but it works well
Progress 28mm Burgundians

Paint up the mechant ships that I got from Aksu printed a while ago - like Paul doesn't have enough already.
Find the Navwar 1/3000 Italians I know I hid well somewhere some years ago and finish them....could there be a Malta convoy game on the cards sometime in 2020??  ;)   
Rebase a whole lot of WW2 6mm stuff

Rest of the TB range medievals 
more 10mm modern AFV's - Chieftains/T-64's and corresponding APC's
just looking.....

Might play around with solo Crossfire since I have a copy but our group is at rules saturation point.     
Keen to try TtS this year as an alternative to DBM/DBMM.

Not really

No impulse buyng in 2020 - yeah right  O:-) 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.