hits??

Started by glenbrooks, 05 January 2020, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenbrooks

Hi Lads what do most of you play and pros cons for hits??? As the book says take them off at the end of the turn ?? or use the optional rules and keep them on and build them up? thanks glen

Ithoriel

We do neither!

In our games elites remove up to two hits, average troops remove up to one and green or fanatic troops remove none. Once a unit has taken damage it cannot recover it's final hit, it will always be at least one hit short of it's starting total.

Leaving hits on saw units eliminated too quickly for our tastes but removing all damage from a unit that was only one hit from annihilation was too far in the other direction.

It takes time for sergeants to rally shocked troops, for corpsmen to get the lightly wounded back in action or for lunatics like Mariya Oktyabrskaya to jump out of an otherwise intact tank to fix the tracks of "Fighting Girlfriend" while under fire.

All that said, removing all hits speeds up end of turn clear up and hits left on speeds up the game overall.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

We always play take hits off. The 'pure-play' version.
It's just the way we as a club have always played BKC, CWC and FWC.

For a fast decisive game we have used hits stay on - it greatly speeds up the game.
Also ideal for larger point games or multi-player games or limited time - so a quick evening game for example.
The more units/points you play with the more helpful the hits stay on rules can be (IMHO).

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

toxicpixie

For "A Very British Civil War" stuff with rickety tanks and home made IFVs etc I liked removing hits from infantry as normal, and keeping them on for vehicles.

It encouraged lots of infantry and their supports instead of looking like Kursk ;)  
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

I play hits stay on, which works for me, for similar reasons others have already outlined above.

Raider4

Quote from: toxicpixie on 05 January 2020, 11:39:43 AM
For "A Very British Civil War" stuff with rickety tanks and home made IFVs etc I liked removing hits from infantry as normal, and keeping them on for vehicles.

It encouraged lots of infantry and their supports instead of looking like Kursk ;)  

Ooh, I like that idea! Nice one.

toxicpixie

There's a dearth of useful, mobile anti-tank assets in our AVBCW games so it works well - the armour ends up limited in both numbers and longevity, but whilst it lasts it's bloody dangerous and you need to put some faff into dealing with it :)

I suspect if you did that in "proper" mid to late war WW2 it would make armour pretty rubbish. Maybe. Now I think about it, it might work nicely as well :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Big Insect

Could work very well in WW1 games with early tanks and armoured cars.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

toxicpixie

I do feel it replicates part of the reliability and breakdown and terrain issues early armour suffered, as well as things like fuel and the disintegration of crew coherence due to fatigue and battle stress. Much like the SCW where armour rampaged around for a bit, out ran its supports and logistics and sort of fizzled out...