2020 Show Dates!

Started by Leon, 05 January 2020, 01:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I think it highly unlikely any shows will take place this year.

Its very unfortunate, especially for the Traders.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DHautpol

Just seen that WARFARE is postponed this year, just to cap the non-year 2020 has been.  I had been counting on WARFARE to get my shopping done, as it were.

This year I've missed:

SALUTE;
A week in Boston visiting AWI sites in and near Boston;
Rugby Club tour to Romania;
A summer's county cricket;
COLOURS;
SELWG was already postponed this year ahead of its transfer to Ascot racecourse;
A trip to Silesia to visit the battlefields of Frederick the Great; and now
WARFARE.

Undoubtedly a very selfish list in the context of what others have lost in terms of family, friends and livelihoods, but frustrating nevertheless.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: DHautpol on 11 August 2020, 05:20:10 PM
SELWG was already postponed this year ahead of its transfer to Ascot racecourse;

It's Warfare who are moving to Ascot, I'm not sure where SELWG are going but we'd heard rumours of a venue in north London?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Leon on 11 August 2020, 06:32:50 PM
It's Warfare who are moving to Ascot, I'm not sure where SELWG are going but we'd heard rumours of a venue in north London?

How does that tie in With South East London Wargames Group?

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Quote from: Orcs on 11 August 2020, 08:52:41 PM
How does that tie in With South East London Wargames Group?

No idea!  I think they were struggling to find suitable venues south of the river and there was talk of something further north but still within the M25.  I can't remember where I heard that though!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Well it will be nearer for me to attend. I am from east London and was brought up with "there is nuffink saaf of the river" :D

Leon

If they can find somewhere a bit easier to get to than Crystal Palace we'd be tempted to go back again.  I think I went 4 years running and we took a different route each time, including the dreaded Blacwall tunnel on one occasion.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Leon on 12 August 2020, 01:30:23 AM
If they can find somewhere a bit easier to get to than Crystal Palace we'd be tempted to go back again.  I think I went 4 years running and we took a different route each time, including the dreaded Blacwall tunnel on one occasion.

There were two major issues: facilities no longer adequate and numbers dropping meant a new venue was needed.  The last I heard was Lea Valley was in the view finder but given current circumstances they could end up anywhere.

Leon

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 12 August 2020, 01:55:07 AM
The last I heard was Lea Valley was in the view finder but given current circumstances they could end up anywhere.

That rings a bell now.  SELWG was always a funny one for us, the sales were up and down quite drastically from year to year but it was the unload into the hall that really put us off attending. 

DHautpol

My mistake; it's WARFARE going to Ascot.  Only been there for the racing a couple of times (I only go 2-3 times a years max) and not keen on the new grandstand - a bit like arriving at Heathrow Terminal 5 and finding there's a race course outside. Still the facilities should be good with plenty of space.

The issue for SELWG to address is the show is probably too big for most town halls and larger venues are not so common.  The Lea Valley Leisure Centre (Picketts Lock) has been mentioned.  There's Alexandra Palace as well, although SELWG might impinge on their big darts event, but I went to a quite well supported Fantasy gaming/D&D show there one September; ended up buying a very nice, if somewhat pricey, dice tower.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: DHautpol on 12 August 2020, 02:28:36 PM
There's Alexandra Palace as well, although SELWG might impinge on their big darts event...

We went to the Tabletop Live event at Alexandra Palace and the venue is really nice for the visitors, loads of space inside and food kiosks built in.  Unfortunately the unloading process is an absolute nightmare to navigate.  There's booked time slots for arriving, the unload point is a long way from the trade stands, you only get 30 minutes to unload, etc.  And at the end of the show you've got to walk all the way down the hill, book a slot with the steward again and then sit in your van until they allow you to drive up to the building.

sultanbev

Leon, they probably need to make shows where the traders literally drive their truck in, fold down the specially built sides and rear, and hey presto instant sales stand. Fold up at the end of the day and drive off. Bit like taking the concept of a carboot sale up a notch.

Mark

toxicpixie

You could do that with a mildly converted catering van, I bet...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Quote from: sultanbev on 12 August 2020, 06:30:23 PM
Leon, they probably need to make shows where the traders literally drive their truck in, fold down the specially built sides and rear, and hey presto instant sales stand. Fold up at the end of the day and drive off. Bit like taking the concept of a carboot sale up a notch.

I have considered this!  I looked at some coach style vehicles where we could kit them out as a walk-in trade shop but it would only really be useful for Salute, we'd never get it into any of the other venues we go to.  I've wondered whether some kind of trailer could do the same job but I can't make it work yet.

sultanbev

It's useful where ever you have a free car park.
The idea is you make your own shows on a suitable piece of land, circle the wagons of the traders that join in and have an instant outdoor wargames show. Punters wanting to put games on can build similar "van-ready" fold out games in the middle.

Pre-pandemic wargames shows were stuck in harder and harder to get to places, with increasing rents, congestion times and in some cases, vastly increased show sizes. Do it the other way round. Rather than taking the gamers to the shows, take the shows to the gamers   ;D

You could like have a convoy going to different towns to meet at social media & internet pre-arranged places.