Rules for War of the Pacific 1879-84

Started by Trebian, 04 January 2020, 10:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebian

04 January 2020, 10:44:56 AM Last Edit: 04 January 2020, 11:07:47 AM by Trebian
For all of you who own armies from Pendraken's excellent range for this War there's a new set of rules out, specifically for the 10 Cent War. They can be ordered directly from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1797560409?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860. There's more about them over on this page linked to my blog: https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/p/wargaming-for-grownups-rules.html.

Most people's reaction is "isn't that a bit obscure?", but there are figure ranges in 10mm, 15mm and 28mm and you can even use 6mm if you want, as Franco Prussian War figures in that scale are close enough. Perhaps the Perry brother's foray into the War of the Triple Alliance will raise the profile of all things South American, which would be a good thing. The military history of 19th century South america is rich and fascinating, and the War of the Pacific is really interesting and it had an impact that resonates even today.

Anyway, go and give them a look. There's quite a few pages you can "Look Inside" on the Amazon link.

Trebian

Steve J

Looks good and nice to have something covering this little known period.

Trebian

Glad you approve. Can I rely upon you becoming an early adopter, and posting a review, perhaps?  ;)

Trebian

I'll take maybe. But just remember, you don't want to be jumping on the bandwagon when everyone has already driven off.

Dr Dave

Quote from: Trebian on 04 January 2020, 10:44:56 AM
For all of you who own armies from Pendraken's excellent range for this War there's a new set of rules out, specifically for the 10 Cent War. They can be ordered directly from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1797560409?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860. There's more about them over on this page linked to my blog: https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/p/wargaming-for-grownups-rules.html.

Looks intriguing. You are the author right?

Can't you tell us what they're like?

Trebian

I am the author. Publicity blurb is here: https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/p/wargaming-for-grownups-rules.html .

The rules are typically for games with a couple of Divisions aside, that's anything from 6 to 12 battalions. You can use them for more, depending on how long you've got. The rules are written to be played on a square grid, with battalions consisting of 4 "elements". My troops are 15mm on 30mm frontages, and I use 3" squares. You can substitute, movement trays for squares and use a tape measure, if you want, and there's a section in the rules that explain that.

These were written specifically for the 1879 War. I didn't start writing an FPW or ACW set and then bolt things on. I read the accounts of battles and tried to work out what stood out from them, and capture that in the game (I did play originally with a commercial generic set, but everything just ended up looking really bland. The troops could have been Russians, Turks, French or Italians for all it mattered) . Troop formations determine how units fight and how resilient they are to coming under fire or being attacked. The hand to hand and firing systems use the same mechanism. You roll a die per base and total them up for the unit. That's then divided by a hit multiple to determine how many Disorder markers you take (eg you roll 4 d6, - 1,6,4,3 totalling 14. Hit multiple might be 4, so you inflict 3 hits). The hit multiple changes due to the target's formation, if it is in cover and so on. Disorder degrades unit performance. You start off rolling d8s, and this drops to d6 then d4 as Disorder mounts. Some formations allow you to absorb/ignore Disorder. When Disorder gets too much the unit will start to retire then retreat then rout.

Commanders are central to the game. Each commander has unique abilities, and they can help to rally off Disorder, re-roll dice and improve combat effectiveness. The main page of the blog has numerous AARs and other comments on how the rules developed.

I think that they are original and unique in many of the mechanisms used. I've even done something with moving through terrain that I haven't seen elsewhere. I reckon that they are quite simple to play and pick up, as I've based the whole thing round one or two central concepts that apply to the game across all aspects. I've gone to some trouble to include examples with clear diagrams so you can see how it plays.

Otherwise I've included sample orbats, a painting guide, sample flags to scan and use (ditto Disorder markers), historical background, a Bibliography and (hem, hem) a list of figure manufacturers. Oh, and if you find the maths bit hard, there's a ready reckoner for number of hits. And a QRS on the back cover. If you find the rules on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1797560409?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860 there's a few pages yo ucan read through the "Look Inside" function.

How does that sound?

Trebian

Dr Dave

Sounds very interesting - I might get a set. Thanks for posting.

Trebian

No worries. I'm committed to supporting both the rule sets through the blog or through forums, where ever the questions are raised.

Steve J

I ordered myself a copy today as a bit of a treat :).

Trebian

QuoteI ordered myself a copy today as a bit of a treat Smiley.
"

Well done that man. Be keen to hear what you think.

Dave Fielder

I also have a set but myself and Steve have been busy up and down the Shenandoah Valley during the ACW. We may get an opportunity to get a bit Chile once Colonel Wayne has taken his Horse Soldiers around the enemy lines and destroyed his railroads. The historical information is a great resource and very interesting read, I'd recommend these rules just on that aspect. I also bought the Osprey uniform book at the same time so may have a paint up a few 10mm figures ...
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Steve J

QuoteThe historical information is a great resource and very interesting read, I'd recommend these rules just on that aspect.

I completely agree.

Leon

We've been quite surprised at the amount of interest these new rules have generated, sales of our South Pacific range have gone from 1 or 2 every few months to about 10 so far this year!  I'll have to get some pics of them up on the site now...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

The rules and the fact that the Perry's have done a range may have also sparked interest. Certainly very colourful looking units which is a great attraction.