What was the last rules set you played 2020

Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Thanks all- They are the 1:200 little wooden men (by Commission Figurines) in action.  Units in Blucher (I'm using the Grand Scale size, so 3,000-5,000 infantry per unit) have a number of attributes, and I try to represent them with appropriate bases, so those with Skirmish advantage get a base of skirmishers, attached artillery has a gun base, and 'Mixed' (those with a squadron of cavalry to chase off skirmishers) get a spare cavalry base.  This does mean some Austrian Avant Guard units have just one base of infantry!

Not seen in this picture: Horse artillery has a limber instead of a 3rd gun, and Heavy artillery has a wagon.  Other traits - Shock, Steady, Conscript - are written on the die frame (using waterslide transfer so I can print a nice typeface).  If you look at the cuirassiers in the centre- facing right - you may be able to see the black smudge that says 'shock' just past the die. The left hand tile at the back contains the Corp ID.

Green dice are the elan of the unit. Because artillery has ammunition that doesn't get spent evenly they have a white die so I can find them. The faces are altered to read 5-4-4-3-2-2; red dots show you are on the 2nd of a repeated number. After that you've use all the ammo so they bugger off.

I like this presentation, it keeps the info on the unit, but unobtrusively. I try to put the attachments in the same place on every units to help us when refreshment has been partaken (Rule Number 1). Bases, green dice and movement trays by Pendragon.

One problem I didn't anticipate was how much the frames for the dice swelled up on painting, and I've ended up filing many of them to make sure the dice comes out! If I had realised I would have asked Adele to note that I wanted the die space as a cut out in the corner.  The frames are standard 40x20. but a few fewer in the pack to account for the extra cutting.

I've suggested to SJ that once we can meet up with others (I'm in his bubble) I umpire a game with him against Orcs being the Austrians. I would of course make sure Orcs knew the rules, but the lack of experience compared to SJ would make a good proxy for the Napoleon v others dynamic!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Norm

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - The Bulge, boardgame by Compass Games
2) What armies were confronted? - Allied (US / British) Vs German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -Yes, this was my third playing
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - Just that thing of repeated play that allows a gamer to get more from the system and better appreciate the nuances of play.
7) What could have been improved? - Before play, I should have read a couple of the rule section closely - particularly the Victory Conditions :-[

flamingpig0

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Dragon Rampant
2) What armies were confronted? - Empire vs Orcs
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -By the second turn
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? -Ease of pay I am used to much more complex rules such as DBM
7) What could have been improved? -slightly confused in that it uses the word points in two different contexts 9(well it confused my opponent)
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BPII with GH! supplement tweaks
2) What armies were confronted? - Blue vs Red circa 1850's
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
6) What went well? - The rules came back to me despite not having played for a week or so and any queries very easy to find in the rulebook. The scenario worked well, based upon one from CS Grant's The War Game. The morale saves by Blue kept them in the game early on.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot, which is good, other than the usual poor die rolls when shooting.

sunjester

Quote from: Last Hussar on 01 December 2020, 06:13:28 PM
Thanks all- They are the 1:200 little wooden men (by Commission Figurines) in action.  Units in Blucher (I'm using the Grand Scale size, so 3,000-5,000 infantry per unit) have a number of attributes, and I try to represent them with appropriate bases, so those with Skirmish advantage get a base of skirmishers, attached artillery has a gun base, and 'Mixed' (those with a squadron of cavalry to chase off skirmishers) get a spare cavalry base.  This does mean some Austrian Avant Guard units have just one base of infantry!

I hadn't visited the site for a few days so I've only just seen this. The little wooden men look really effective in the photo.

paulr

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BBDBA
2) What armies were confronted? - two Polybian Roman & one Syracuse in Sicily v two Later Carthaginian & one Celtiberian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Oh yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long way, our fifth game this year
5) How many players were in the game? - Five, three on the Carthaginian side and two on the Roman
6) What went well? - It was a closer game than last week and I remembered to take pictures so an AAR should follow in due course
7) What could have been improved? - The survival rate of generals, a 67% casualty rate was pretty drastic (the surviving generals didn't get into combat)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 06 December 2020, 12:51:51 AM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BBDBA
2) What armies were confronted? - two Polybian Roman & one Syracuse in Sicily v two Later Carthaginian & one Celtiberian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Oh yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long way, our fifth game this year
5) How many players were in the game? - Five, three on the Carthaginian side and two on the Roman
6) What went well? - It was a closer game than last week and I remembered to take pictures so an AAR should follow in due course
7) What could have been improved? - The survival rate of generals, a 67% casualty rate was pretty drastic (the surviving generals didn't get into combat)

This was a fun game.....the Carthaginian plan did not go to plan but at least the Romans were not able to kill off either the Carthaginian C in C or our elephant corps, despite their artillery's best efforts. I will leave it up to Paul to outline how events unfolded, though he is a little bit busy these days.   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Rum, Buggery, and the Lash
2) What armies were confronted? - Allied vs British Napoleonic
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -Getting there; this was our third time.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two. Lee wasn't one of them.
6) What went well? - Wind behind us, and a opponent who really has no idea about concentrating force (and thus doesn't defend against my doing it)
7) What could have been improved? - I had some dismal shooting dice at the start, and a Tyrollean rifleman hit Collingwood (Nelson survived this one).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BPII with GH! supplement tweaks
2) What armies were confronted? - Red vs Blue circa 1850's
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
6) What went well? - The game was a cracker with both sides having a chance to win, with it going down to the final Turn. The scenario worked well too.
7) What could have been improved? - Only some shooting at what might have been a critical point in the game.

Pic heavy AAR to follow tomorrow all being well.

Last Hussar

QuoteThe little wooden men look really effective in the photo.

But not in real life?   ;D   :- 
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Last Hussar on 20 December 2020, 01:37:31 PM
But not in real life?   ;D   :- 

You obviouly aint met the bulk of the British population  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

1) What ruleset....Avian biosecurity.
2) Armies.....Me & Von versus ALL the chickens.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the rules ?....No...but we'll do it as per spec.(being doing this for days!)
4) First time you've played this ?.......Yes
5) How many players....Too many to count.
6) What went well ?.....All the brain dead Muppets haven't escaped....yet!
7) What could be improved ?......I should be allowed to have a sawn off shotgun.....and turn the (afore-mentioned Muppets into chicken pate.)

Cheers - Phil. >:(

Under the firearms acts yiu must have a barrel of at least 24" Phil (got a hack saw  :P)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

=O =O =O

Go away !

I hate the bloody things.

I genuinely wish some of you lived closer....  So we could give away an awful lot of eggs that we have to get rid of.

I am genuinely sick of scrambled/fried/poached/boiled eggs for lunch.
That's a really awful thing to say, when there's SO much hunger in the World. X_X

Phil.

mmcv

Phil you can freeze eggs (not in shell but if you beat them together or separated) in usable portions, e.g. in ice cube trays and store in bags then defrost to use for scramble, omlette, etc. Alternatively just use them to make a lot of cakes...