What was the last rules set you played 2020

Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - Fallschirmjager vs British Army Regulars, England 1940
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The British artillery and tanks. As always the FJ command was excellent.
7) What could have been improved? - The British were slow, due to their lower CV, so struggled to get going.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset DID you use in your last game? - ALAMEIN TO ZEM ZEM
2) What armies were involved? - 8th Army vs Afrika Korps
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - New random tables; the Jerries had three seasoned Mk IVs, not a brace of veteran Tigers. Having even weaker armour myself, I mixed my Crusaders in with the South African elite force, and we swept all before us. The enemy had more and better aircraft, but we rolled some lucky dice. AT guns did well too,
7) What could have been improved? - I got rather poor support forces, but my opponent didn't realise that, so we did well.

Victory, but Lee wasn't commanding the Germans.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Scorpio_Rocks

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Saga 2 (Age of Crusades)
2) What armies were confronted? - Mutatawwi'a Vs Milites Christi
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - although first time with Saga 2 it is much clearer and easier than first version
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Loved the new version of the rules and we got used to the slight changes and battle boards quickly.
                               (Special shoutout to the "Book of battles" for a great fast way of setting up a random scenario)

7) What could have been improved? - Not much - we played in 6mmm (as is our want) without any changes - 1 base = 1 figure in rules, to give a greater spectacle

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - To the Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Imperial Romans v Gauls
5) How many players were in the game? - Two, first TtS! game since March
6) What went well? - Just had a great game, these rules seem to consistently give an entertaining and enjoyable game.
7) What could have been improved? - My dice throwing was appalling, yeah, yeah, blah. blah.......

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

T13A

Hi

2) What armies were confronted? - Early Imperial Romans v Parthians
5) How many players were in the game? - Two,
6) What went well? - Tried out some minor house rules, they seemed to work very well and did away with an aspect of the rules that at times felt a bit 'gamey' to us. game was extremely close at the end and could have gone either way
7) What could have been improved? - Sadly it did not go my way!  :(
T13A Out!

Dave Fielder

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - 1914 by Great Escape Games (GEG).
2) What armies were confronted? - WW1 Germans v The Royal Naval Division (it was Trafalgar Night and I had Royal Marines under my command  ;))
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Somewhat
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes, first time.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two, face to face in COVID mitigated conditions.
6) What went well? - Two experienced gamers who had a flexible approach to agreed to use this as a learning curve.
7) What could have been improved? - Having a GEG forum to discuss some of the understanding of the rules. 1914 has some elegant designs and interesting action/reaction rules, but we struggled with the Assault - there doesn't seem to be a bit where the troops actually do 'hand to hand'. Have sent a message via Messenger to GEG to see if we can get some feedback.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

hammurabi70

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 22 October 2020, 10:37:52 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - 1914 by Great Escape Games (GEG).

Never heard of these rules?  Can you comment briefly about them?

Dave Fielder

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 22 October 2020, 12:43:25 PM
Never heard of these rules?  Can you comment briefly about them?

https://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/online-store/1914
Aimed at Brigade level actions set in 1914 Western Theatre of operations. Each base is a company or squadron making units of 2-4 bases with supporting artillery and machine guns. Key concept is the Action/Reaction with Command points for each side being spent to carry out actions. The more actions on each unit, the harder it is to keep it going. Typically rifle range is up to 12", artillery - everything is in range (direct and indirect options). Set of 12mm figure ranges available, similar to Kallistra, although all my forces are 10mm Pendraken.

Steve J

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out the HtH combat bit!

fred.

I've got the 1914 rules, not played them yet. Struggled a bit with understanding them at first. But have now played Iron Cross which is the WWII version, though at a lower level which is a good game, so wanting to try 1914 now.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

hammurabi70

Quote from: fred. on 22 October 2020, 06:24:50 PM
I've got the 1914 rules, not played them yet. Struggled a bit with understanding them at first. But have now played Iron Cross which is the WWII version, though at a lower level which is a good game, so wanting to try 1914 now.

And how was Iron Cross? What are they like?  I have no knowledge of Great Escape rules, are they a neglected quality resource or yet-another-rule system? 

Dave Fielder

Spoke to the 1914 author via FB Messenger and he kindly explained the rationale. The HtH is actually an abstraction with cavalry coming to within 2"/5cm and the number of dice being increased, the assumption is their action hasn't been reacted to and hence they get the jump on the enemy. For infantry it is similar but somewhat less effective due to less shock factor. From what I understand this means that careful planning and preparation is needed to get into close quarters and enough damage needs to be dished out to force enemy troops back out of position. The 'reaction' available means that troops can attempt to Fall Back if they are getting hit hard.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hachiman (working title for homemade Feudal Japanese rules)
2) What armies were confronted? - Oda vs Asai Clans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yep
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - On the table yes, had previously done a few pencil and paper games.
5) How many players were in the game? - One
6) What went well? - First proper shake out of the rules and overall went pretty well. Most of the mechanics worked as I'd hoped and the "narrative" of the battle flowed well as did some of the new rules I'd added.
7) What could have been improved? - Melee did end up becoming a bit of a grind, though that was partly because I'd set a fordable river the entire width of the battlefield so naturally, after a bit of back and forth the battle bogged down there a fair bit, which is not entirely unhistorical. Need some more battles to test out and see if it flows better on more open and versatile terrain.

Generally pretty happy though with how it's progressing. Definitely motivation to look at doing some actual figures in the near future (this was fought with printout ones I made).

Battle report to follow in due course.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset DID you use in your two last games? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Republican Romans vs Gauls; Imperial Romans vs Dacians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, I suppose so.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Why keep asking this question? The answer's not going to change.
5) How many players were in each game? - Two; Lee vs me in the first, Mike vs me in the second
6) What went well? - Good coffee.
7) What could have been improved? - Inflicting a single casualty on the enemy forces in either case.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

T13A

Hi

2) What armies were confronted? - Thracians v Macedonian Successors
5) How many players were in the game? - Two,
6) What went well? - Well, we were ready to start within half an hour after arriving at my friends house, then it went rather downhill from then on for me at least, starting with having to deploy my entire army first after rolling a one on a D10 for scouting.
7) What could have been improved? - Just about everything from my point of view!

My Macedonians advancing on the Thracian host.

View from the Thracian right flank.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!