Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kustenjaeger

Greetings

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Cruel Seas
2) What armies were confronted? - German Kriegsmarine vs. British Royal Navy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not yet
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo. First scenario to try out the rules
6) What went well? - entertaining
7) What could have been improved? - A number of things - some may be addressed by advanced rules, others may need some modification once I am used to it and use different vessels etc. 

Edward

FierceKitty

04 August 2020, 01:13:05 AM #166 Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 01:19:31 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Oda vs Takeda
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I do.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two.
6) What went well? - Got in some effective coordinated actions with ashigaru shooting 'em silly, then samurai charging and finishing the job. Enemy made a critical error in putting four units of missile troops to one of melee troops on one side of a significant river; despite adverse dice, I couldn't fail to overwhelm him. Enemy also kept his pikemen in reserve, against a cavalry army (!); hostile artillery did no damage at all this week.
7) What didn't? - Twice superior cavalry forces (two to one in one case) led by a general got badly bogged down in a cavalry scrap that I expected to win easily.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Crusaders and Turks at Dorylaeum
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Somewhat, though a little rusty.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No. Though it's been about a year and a half since my last game with them.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The custom scenario that I set up worked out well and proved to be reasonably balanced, though I might throw in another unit of Turkish heavy cavalry next time or reduce the number of special abilities the knights have to get it just right. Was nice to have enough terrain to do what I wanted too.
7) What didn't? - Took a few turns into the game before I started remembering all the rules and special rules correctly. Don't think it would have changed the outcome overall as most of the rules I forgot were ones that would have benefitted the eventual victors!

Battle report (and hopefully historical report too) in due course.

Scorpio_Rocks

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - SAGA - The Crescent & The Cross (with 6mm)
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders (Milites Christi) and Moors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, mostly (see below)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No. Though it's been a while
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - We had a fun romp and reignited our passions for the period
7) What didn't? - A couple of badly worded rules / battle board abilities had us scratching out heads and searching for online FAQs

We have now obtained "Version 2" - Saga 2 Age of Crusades and hope that the rules questions are resolved. We are worried, however, on a quick look at the battle boards, that some of the "flavour" of the forces has been lost.

Anyone have experience of the 2 sets and can give me their thoughts?
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

pierre the shy

12 August 2020, 09:44:42 AM #169 Last Edit: 12 August 2020, 09:48:51 AM by pierre the shy
We played a couple of games over the weekend at Call to Arms, the local club's annual convention here in Wellington (fortunately before the NZ COVID-19 alert level was raised again).

Saturday:

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - Spearhead (with 6mm)
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans vs Russians at Kursk July 1943
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No. Though it's been a while since our last game......
5) How many players were in the game? - 3
6) What went well? - The Russians managed to mostly contain the German armoured advance.....
7) What didn't? - not much actually....put a lot of effort into designing the scenario which proved pretty evenly balanced.

Rhys has written a battle report on his blog from the German standpoint: http://badlyleadmen.blogspot.com/2020/08/back-to-normality.html

Sunday:

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - General Quarters 1 & 2
2) What armies were confronted? - Kreigsmarine v Royal Navy April 1942 in the Arctic Ocean
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, played a lot of GQ 1/2 games
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - I managed to sink HMS Duke of York with torpedoes... .A minor miricle since we use the torpedo rules as written and I managed to slow the flagship down through a combination of several well aimed 15" salvoes from Tripitz and the sacrifice of most of my Luftwaffe He-111 torpedo bombers (which meant that she couldn't fire her secondaries at the attacking destroyers that turn) before successfully guessing where she would manuvere to.  
7) What didn't? - Paul managed to inflict significant damage on Tirpitz, Scharnhorst and Admiral Scheer, all of which could eventually only crawl back to base at around 8 knots. The German victory conditions meant that they lost one level of victory if they took enough heavy damage (which they did) so the RN gained a slim tactical victory dispite the loss of Duke of York (who the heck comes up with these victory conditions??  ;D ).  

Overall a pretty good weekend of gaming was had by all.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Thanks for organising two really good games Pierre the Shy :-bd =D> :-bd =D>
We were indeed very fortunate to be able to attend the event

The Saturday game was fascinating and as Rhys' report mentions I spent most of the morning suppressing the Russian defenses enough so I could commit my engineers to clearing the minefields :!!
Only to find that there were no minefields to my front :o ;D
This delay allowed the Russian reserves time to arrive and cover the exposed flank of their second line ~X(

Sunday was another fascinating scenario

Pierre the Shy has kindly not mentioned the state of Renown, King George V (who arrived later in support), my two heavy cruisers and half my destroyers :-SS
Pierre the Shy worked his destroyers into a great attack position on Duke of York using a snow squall to screen my 'covering' destroyers and a Luftwaffe attack to divert my secondary guns  X_X

A careful reading of the victory conditions gave the Germans a slim tactical defeat and the British only a win in the 'battle of the memoirs', which in GQ terms is just above a draw
We had battered each other almost to a standstill and were both withdrawing before suffering any more damage
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs Italians, Greece 1941
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long way
6) What went well? - For a quickly set up game, not bad.
7) What could have been improved? - The Recce rules. Even BKCIV doesn't work for me on this front.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Japanese and Chinese
6) What went well? - Desperately little.
7) What didn't? - Twice ambushed, and lost a senior commander each time.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - Fallschirmjager vs Somerset LDV, England 1940
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - The Fallschirmjager got going from the off and never let the LDV into the game.
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing really.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Never  Mind The Billhooks
2) What armies were confronted? - York vs Lancaster
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - For afirst quick trial game, not bad.
6) What went well? - For a first run out the game flowed well and all seemed logical. The card activation was nice, giving a good command friction.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really as it was my first go and I'm still learning.

GridGame

1) What ruleset do you use in your last 5 games, this weekend? – One Hour Wargames, scenarios: 7, 14, 24, 25, 29
2) What armies were confronted? – Viking, Anglo-Saxon, Pre Feudal Scottish.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? In part.......... See 7)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No. I've played most of the scenarios many times with many eras of armies.
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo (no arguing, no rule-set lawyers and I always win!)
6) What went well? – all very close games & rule adaptions worked well.
7) What could have been improved?
I have recently started using 'Johns wargaming blog' 'D6 multiples of 3' scoring method: this results in a hit/miss scoring rather than always some degradation of the opposition.
Don't like, never have liked, the force fitting of unit types in OHW: particularly when it has distorted army composition to having no resemblance to history. So for Dark Ages (some) units have integral archer units.

P.S. currently the armies are card counters

Raider4

Quote from: GridGame on 07 September 2020, 12:49:22 PM
. . . and I always win!

And you always lose . . .

(Yes, I am feeling a little glass half-empty at the mo)

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - British paras vs German Kampfgruppe, Normandy 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Thanks to my opponent knowing the rules, yes - the game rocked along quickly and easily.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Lovely layout, and great to have my first face-to-face game since March. Early dice were kind to me, and my KG's attack went in efficiently after that.
7) What could have been improved? - The Brit paras seemed a bit outgunned - maybe that was the kind dice, maybe I had a good plan well executed, or maybe Matt was just being a good host!

AAR is on my BBBBlog. Check it out for the venue more than the game:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2020/09/wargames-holiday-hotel-mayenne.html
(And yes, I did donate a copy of BBB, so I hope Matt will find my Le Mans scenario useful.)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Late NKE vs Midianite alliance
6) What went well? - Some excellent shooting rolls paralysed the more advanced enemy units, while their others were too slow in reaching the action.
7) What didn't? - An off-table flank march got a hopeless control result and refused to charge the exposed, unshielded flank of the Amalekites, who thus had time to turn and charge my lads -low-quality Lybyan allies.
Much more seriously, the air-con is on the blink.

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - General Quarters I/II with per-dreadnought mods
2) What armies navies were confronted? - Italian v Austro-Hungarian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, but we hadn't played with the per-dreadnought mods for a 3 years :o
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, third game with the per-dreadnought mods
5) How many players were in the game? - Five
6) What went well? - It was so engrossing that we lost track of time
7) What didn't? - Torpedoes

A small battle report can be found here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20074.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!