What was the last rules set you played 2020

Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Quote from: paulr on 15 March 2020, 11:59:44 PM
Having two different stacking limits to keep track of must have been a pain

This sort of thing is one of the reasons that I don't play many board games
Not really - 2 counters, with a total of 5 dots between them.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - AVBCW Army of the Severn Valley vs The Loyal Army of the South
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, been playing them since they were published.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The scenario went well, considering I first thought about it over a year ago! The Char St Chamond shooting was awesome and the cavalry arrived in the nick of time to save the day. The Police units had a field day.
7) What could have been improved? - The BUF shooting and both sides rolled a fair few Blunders.

AAR report to follow with plenty of pics.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST
2) What armies were confronted? - Indian vs Scythian
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, been playing them since they were published.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Umm...first time the Sakae have won in this match up, I suppose.
7) What could have been improved? - An atheist army that wasn't crippled by bad omens and consequent poor control and combat would have been an improvement.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Cavaliers and NMA
6) What went well? - Byron's horse survived a frontal encounter with a pike and shot tercio, and then repelled a relief attack by the lobsters. Other horse cleared the opposite flank and won the day.
7) What could have been improved? - We were brutally outshot by the Roundhead centre. Oh, and Black's Regiment of Foot rolled a 1 for movement on FOUR successive rounds.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Neil Thomas One Hour Wargames (Medieval edition)
2) What armies were confronted? - Two generic medieval forces - one with 2 knights and 2 men at arms, one with 2 archers, 1 knights and 1 men at arms.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably, they're very simple
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yep, quick lunchtime test game.
5) How many players were in the game? - One
6) What went well? - Rules were quick and easy to grasp. The action was hit pretty quickly with the archers doing some serious damage to the charging knights and the final couple of turns were pretty violent. Went down to the last dice roll.
7) What could have been improved? - The midgame was a bit of a grind. Defenders on a hill take half damage, which meant my archers were able to hold the knights there for most of the game, only gradually getting ground down. The half damage rule applies to men at arms too, and I couldn't see anything that changed that for a hill (taking half of the half damage would seem a bit silly) so was in an odd situation where it benefitted the defending men at arms to charge down the hill at the attackers, while the defending knights just hung out on the hill letting the attacking men at arms charge them. They are a decent set of very basic rules that could be fun for a quick game with a little modification.

It would also have been good if work hadn't been pestering me every 10 mins making me forget whose turn it was.

Was reading through the sample of the book last night trying to decide if it was worthwhile. The sample doesn't include any of the scenarios so I made my own king of the hill style scenario with attackers and defenders.

The view from the defenders position.

The charging knights weather a storm of arrows only to grind to a halt on the slopes of the hill.

Encirclement denied.

The archers on one flank collapse letting the attacking knights charge into the rear of the defenders. The archers on the other flank, however, manage to drive off the other attacking knights. With some fancy footwork they were able to take the victorious attackers in the rear while they gloated over the defeat of the defending knights and wipe them from the field. The attacking men at arms managed to eliminate the defending archers, but not without taking some damage. The defending men at arms drove their opponents off and turned to face the last of the attackers. In an epic struggle it was the defending men at arms who were the last standing on the field of battle this day.

King of the hill.

I'll have to have another, less distracted game in the future and try again.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ancient & Medieval Wargaming by Neil Thomas
2) What armies were confronted? - Greeks vs Trojans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Sort of ...
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but a while since I last played them.
6) What went well? - The rules flowed nicely and very easy and quick to pick up. Anything not immediately clear was resolved by a good dose of common sense.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really. I used my wooden blocks and no terrain just for a getting to know you game. Also I used a DBA style PIP activation die roll to see how many units could move, which worked well, but needs tweaking.

So tomorrow a more considered game with terrain and unit labels, so I can take a few pics and write a report.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ancient & Medieval Wargaming by Neil Thomas
2) What armies were confronted? - Condottieri vs Holy Roman Empire
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Getting there
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - The rules are very easy to pick up the basics and flow nicely. Using an Average Die for unit activation worked well.
7) What could have been improved? - The second game threw up more questions than the first game. I need to have a good read of the intro sections in case I've missed anything.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What rulesets do you use in your last games? - King of Tokyo and Star Wars Destiny
2) What armies were confronted? - The King, Space Penguin, Pandakai and Mekadragon, then Rey and K2S0 vs Kylo Eek and Jango Fett
3) Did you feel comfortable with the rulesets? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used these rulesets? - hell no
5) How many players were in the games? - 4 then 2
6) What went well? - Imi squeaked a win in game 1, then decided she really wanted to play Destiny, She hasn't touched it in about a year. I was so happy.
7) What could have been improved? - my rolling, my destiny deck is too geared to Ren, when Imi mercilessly despatched him, I had nothing effective for Jango. Deck rebuild time! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Something I made up as we went along
2) What armies were confronted? - British v German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Made it up as I went along. What does a 5 on a d10 mean?
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? sort of
5) How many players were in the game? 1 plus an umpire
6) What went well? - Ask Sunjester
7) What could have been improved? - a better way to set the video feed, the men need refresher training in house clearance.

I ran the game over video, putting the camera (on my phone) only where Sj's Lieutenant was standing.  Terrain was only revealed as he became able to see it, or one of his men was able to describe it to him. Enemy forces were marked but only to show general location, not actual numbers.

The tanks were being hit by a 88 on a hill as part of the D-Day+12 push, so a platoon (which was already 4-5 men down from casualties) of the supporting infantry was tasked with knocking it out.  Tried to keep ground and vertical scale close.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - White Man's Burden
2) What armies were confronted? - Khedival Egyptians vs Mahdists
6) What went well? - What EVER goes well if you're leading that army?
7) What could have been improved? - Not having to come on in column, so my army were thumped before half of them even got onto the field.

fred.

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 April 2020, 04:31:09 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Something I made up as we went along
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Made it up as I went along. What does a 5 on a d10 mean?
7) What could have been improved? - a better way to set the video feed, the men need refresher training in house clearance.

I ran the game over video, putting the camera (on my phone) only where Sj's Lieutenant was standing.  Terrain was only revealed as he became able to see it, or one of his men was able to describe it to him. Enemy forces were marked but only to show general location, not actual numbers.

The tanks were being hit by a 88 on a hill as part of the D-Day+12 push, so a platoon (which was already 4-5 men down from casualties) of the supporting infantry was tasked with knocking it out.  Tried to keep ground and vertical scale close.

Sounds a really good idea to playing in lockdown - more RPG than wargame, but nothing wrong with that. Did it work, or was their too little info for the player?

We tried a few traditional wargames over video, and most have worked OK, but we haven't tried this reduced info style game, although we have talked about it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shedman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Five Kilometres From Leipzig - black powder solo skirmish
2) What armies were confronted? - French vs British (Napoleonic),  Abenaki vs Settlers (French & Indians Wars) and French Foreign Legion vs Mexican Guerrillas (French Intervention in Mexico)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - They are very simple
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
6) What went well? - Well I won all 3 games
7) What could have been improved? - the rules are only in beta but maybe a better Decision Tree and possibly objectives for the solo side

An AAR of the first two games is  on my blog https://twomarshals.blogspot.com/2020/04/five-kilometres-from-leipzig-solo-rules.html

DaveH

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - the Portable Napoleonic wargame with my own ACW modifications
2) What armies were confronted? - Union and Confederate
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - just me
6) What went well? - card based activation mechanism worked well, rules seem to work well for the period.
7) What could have been improved? - I needed to have thought about a couple of factors in the scenario to decide how it would work out.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Portable Wargame and Neil Thomas' Ancient & Medieval Wargames
2) What armies were confronted? - Two nominaly classical armies with basic troop types
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but a while since I played both.
6) What went well? - Both games played well and very easy to pick up again, but preferred the A&MW rules.
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing really other than some QRS' would have helped.

paulr

Quote from: fred. on 28 April 2020, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 April 2020, 04:31:09 PM

Sounds a really good idea to playing in lockdown - more RPG than wargame, but nothing wrong with that. Did it work, or was their too little info for the player?

We tried a few traditional wargames over video, and most have worked OK, but we haven't tried this reduced info style game, although we have talked about it.

We're currently playing a Spearhead game with an umpire moving all the troops on a table at his place. The Battalion commanders are providing orders for each of their companies based on reports back from the umpire and providing reports up to the Brigade Commander for each side. He then issues orders to the Battalion commanders.

The much more realistically limited information available is giving the game a very different feel. It is proving to be a fascinating experience.

I can't say too much about how it is going as there is at least one player on the 'other side' on this forum...  :-h
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!