What was the last rules set you played 2020

Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Another possibility was from "Google translate" which settled on, "The Germans stuck their heads out of the wheat fields" and yet another using the verb "quitter" instead of "sortir(?)" ... but it does not matter, you're own translations were perfectly understandable and it was definitely appreciated that you had gone to the trouble of making life easy for us English speakers.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder II with the Glory Hallelujah supplement.
2) What armies were confronted? - Union v Confederate ACW, the Battle of New Market 1864.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - The Union shooting which stopped the Confederates in very short order.
7) What could have been improved? - The Confederate shooting and movement. Failed orders caused the Rebs to rush forward, only to be shot to pieces.

An AAR to follow once I can bring myself to record the less than glorious battle from the Confederate point of view. Oh and I can't sit down for a few days as I got my **** well and truly kicked!

Ace of Spades

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -             Team Yankee
2) What armies were confronted? -                               Soviets vs. NATO
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -               No... first time we tried these.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -   Yes
5) How many players were in the game? -                     Three
6) What went well? -                                                   Game mechanics are okay.
7) What could have been improved? -                           Firing distances, CC ranges and Morale checks.
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Scorpio_Rocks

A very enjoyable day on Thursday refighting the Battle of Killiecrankie with Pendraken's lovely LoA range

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -             Pike & Shotte
2) What armies were confronted? -                              Jacobite / Highlanders Vs Williamite / English / Lowlanders
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -               Mostly (all players had previously played Black Powder and only one of us P&S)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -   No & Yes (x2)
5) How many players were in the game? -                     Three
6) What went well? -                                                 Game was great fun and a lovely learning experience for the new guys
7) What could have been improved? -                          Darn sassanachs refused to repeat the errors of their forebears and attacked lengthwise down the field, the highland charge was stymied
                                                                              and few of my brave lads escaped the carnage!

(excuse poor photo)
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Midway (boardgame)
2) What armies were confronted? - United States Navy v Imperial Japanese Navy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I do now, but it took a couple of reads and a play test game to get there.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes, other than a test game as I went through the rules
6) What went well? - As with carrier battle games, playing double blind brings game tension and surprises as each side sends in airstrikes against enemy carriers
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing really, the narrative went really well, though Victory Point circumstances brought the battle to an end after the first day, we want to get as far as  the secondday to see the Midway nvasion landings in action.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Norm on 22 February 2020, 06:33:25 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Midway (boardgame)
2) What armies were confronted? - United States Navy v Imperial Japanese Navy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I do now, but it took a couple of reads and a play test game to get there.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes, other than a test game as I went through the rules
6) What went well? - As with carrier battle games, playing double blind brings game tension and surprises as each side sends in airstrikes against enemy carriers
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing really, the narrative went really well, though Victory Point circumstances brought the battle to an end after the first day, we want to get as far as  the secondday to see the Midway nvasion landings in action.

Which game?  BGG lists over 20; I am interested in the new Bonsai version.  Bonsai seem to do small, innovative but effective games.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 21 February 2020, 10:38:32 PM
A very enjoyable day on Thursday refighting the Battle of Killiecrankie with Pendraken's lovely LoA range

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -             Pike & Shotte
2) What armies were confronted? -                              Jacobite / Highlanders Vs Williamite / English / Lowlanders
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -               Mostly (all players had previously played Black Powder and only one of us P&S)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -   No & Yes (x2)
5) How many players were in the game? -                     Three
6) What went well? -                                                 Game was great fun and a lovely learning experience for the new guys
7) What could have been improved? -                          Darn sassanachs refused to repeat the errors of their forebears and attacked lengthwise down the field, the highland charge was stymied
                                                                              and few of my brave lads escaped the carnage!

Looks very interesting Scorpio......any chance of providing a breakdown of the units that you used in the game please?

Killiecrankie is a battle that I would love to refight at some stage and have enough 10mm sassanach units, just need a few more readcoat units....hmmm  ;)

Thanks
Peter
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Scorpio_Rocks

23 February 2020, 04:40:52 AM #53 Last Edit: 23 February 2020, 04:45:42 AM by Scorpio_Rocks
Quote from: pierre the shy on 22 February 2020, 11:20:42 PM
Looks very interesting Scorpio......any chance of providing a breakdown of the units that you used in the game please?

Killiecrankie is a battle that I would love to refight at some stage and have enough 10mm sassanach units, just need a few more readcoat units....hmmm  ;)

Thanks
Peter
Not a totally historically accurate rendition,
We used (Pike and Shotte stats):
Jacobites
5 units of "Highlanders" Warband - ferocious charge, Clansmen, Militia, Swordsmen
1 unit Regular Infantry  Line foot - Pike company, plug bayonet, flintlocks
1 unit Freshly raised      Line foot - Pike company, Militia, plug bayonet, matchlocks
1 unit dragoons            Dragoons - flintlocks, marauder - representing the very small amount of horse troops available (as few as 50!)

Government
2 units of Horse  Line Cavalry - Swords and Pistols
2 units Dutch Line foot - pike company, first fire, plug bayonets, flintlocks, Crack
2 Units Fusiliers Line foot - first fire, plug bayonets, flintlocks
3 units Lowland infantry Line foot - pike company, first fire, plug bayonets, flintlocks
1 small cannon - Light artillery

The battle field was as accurate as we could make it. Both armies entered in column. The Highlanders had awful command rolls and moved slowly along the highground. The Government troops fanned out almost immediately across the valley rather than deploying along the road as historically. The Highlanders refused to charge for most of the battle and were cut to pieces by sustained volleys by the "english"

Right click "view image" above to see pic properly
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

pierre the shy

Thanks very much Scorpio (and Kitty for the readcoat picture :) )

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Norm

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 22 February 2020, 11:37:51 AM
Which game?  BGG lists over 20; I am interested in the new Bonsai version.  Bonsai seem to do small, innovative but effective games.

This is the Revolution Games update of the Bonsai game.

BGG Link

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/297702/fury-midway

FierceKitty

23 February 2020, 09:59:19 AM #56 Last Edit: 23 February 2020, 10:10:31 AM by FierceKitty
) What ruleset didst use in thy last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Skythians vs Thracians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I do.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Of course not.
6) What went well? - One good cavalry charge routed a unit of Sakae off. And the sandy side of the new mat is also very smart (a bit greener in reality than in Mike's picture below).
7) What could have been improved? - Everything else. My ambush was accidentally detected when the Massagetae nobles blundered into it - and wiped it out. Time after time the remaining Sakae shot and evaded, shot and evaded.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

) What ruleset didst use in thy last game? - Soldiers of God
2) What armies were confronted? - First Crusade Christians vs Sultanate of Rum Turks
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes mostly, though a little rusty.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Nope
5) How many players were in the game? - One
6) What went well? - With a much higher proportion of cavalry in the OOBs than my previous runs with it, the game moved faster and turned into a bloody massacre and mutual destruction very quickly.
7) What could have been improved? - I had to do a fair bit of rule flipping at the start due to my rustiness, plus I probably didn't give enough plains space on the board meaning the knights got stalled against the ridgeline for a few turns (the cards that would enable them to turn around or pull back just did not come up for the Crusaders!) but overall it went pretty well, and it just meant the infantry actually got to play a role in the battle and when the knights did finally get turned around, things got violent very quickly!

You can read a full report here:

https://mmcvhistory.home.blog/2020/02/23/the-battle-of-nicaea-may-1097/

hammurabi70

Quote from: Norm on 23 February 2020, 08:45:52 AM
This is the Revolution Games update of the Bonsai game.

BGG Link

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/297702/fury-midway

So if that was the game you played were you impressed?

mmcv

1) What ruleset didst use in thy last game? - Hordes of the Things
2) What armies were confronted? Cromwell's Roundheads vs Undead Horde
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Not initially, a lot of page flipping and head-scratching at odd terms and scattered rules at first but got into the swing of things after a few rounds.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yep
5) How many players were in the game? - One
6) What went well? - The roundheads'  movement rolls, they fairly zipped across the table, which gave them the manoeuvrability to take the victory.
7) What could have been improved? The shambling forces of the undead lived up to their name and moved very slowly all game, though made up for it with their combat rolls for a while. The hordes of zombies repeatedly pushed back the stout pikemen and the skeleton archers obliterated two units of Ironsides before the Roundhead artillery and shooters cleared the way and the rest of the Ironsides took their vengeance.

This was mostly a test game using stand-in armies to see if I want to add another project to my growing list. I'll probably play another test game to see how I like things now I have a better grip and see...