What was the last rules set you played 2020

Started by paulr, 01 January 2020, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder II with a bit of the Glory Hallelujah supplement
2) What armies were confronted? - Union v Confederate ACW
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - solo
6) What went well? - A few local tactical surprises, which is the thing that BP does well
7) What could have been improved? - nothing really, it all went rather well.

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder II ( using some of the Glory Hallelujah supplement)
2) What armies were confronted? - 1859 Austrians vs French and Italians
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 - Last Hussar and myself
6) What went well? - Happy with the rules, especially with the Glory Hallelujah add-ons
7) What could have been improved? - Everything - Last Hussar won :o........WITH AUSTRIANS :o........AGAINST THE FRENCH!!! :o 8-} X_X

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder II with the Glory Hallelujah supplement.
2) What armies were confronted? - Union v Confederate ACW.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Shirley Wayne whizzing across the table and the Union (Dave) command rolls. The Confederate shooting was pretty good.
7) What could have been improved? - Not rolling a Blunder at a critical point could have helped my cause, plus Butler's cavalry not moving far enough away from Wayne's cavalry, which didn't end well.

Dave Fielder

It was Wayne's World last night indeed. And still don't call him Shirley.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Hwiccee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Twilight of the Sun King
2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Allies - War of the League of Augsburg
5) How many players were in the game? - 1 vs 1
6) What went well? - The game was an ad hoc affair after the planned game fell through. It pitted 2 large armies and was great fun.
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing except the French players morale dice rolls

mollinary

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - My playtest 18th century version of FK&P, Pro Gloria
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians v Saxons Kesselsdorv 1745 2nd Silesian War
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, the second with the variant, but a couple of new ideas
5) How many players were in the game? - 6, plus 1 umpire
6) What went well? - Players picked up things very quickly, and required very little umpiring. Good natured and great fun
7) What could have been improved? - My umpiring, as I kept forgetting the basic FK&P rules!  Prussians won 60 medals to 39, which made it hard fought.  Heresy alert, the armies used were my old 15mm figures. My new Pendraken 10mm armies await the first playtest of the regimental version of the rules, Leuthen.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

I do not need another period, I do not need another period, I do not need another period, I do not need another period...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Big Battle DBA
2) What armies were confronted? - Fatamid Egyptian, Seljuq Turkish, Syrian v Komnenan Byzantine, Cilician Armenian, Early Crusader
5) How many players were in the game? - 2, the other members of our usual group were distracted by unimportant things like birthdays or sons going to university =)
6) What went well? - The charges by the Crusader Knights and survival of the out numbered Byzantine Light Horse
7) What could have been improved? - The Christian deployment, the Cilician Armenians never got into combat, they did provide an overlap in that last combat of the game - shooting by the Crusader & Byzantine Bow and Crossbows, 3 elements died in shoot outs

Ace of Spades

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?             What a Tanker
2) What armies were confronted?                               1944 US Tanks and TD's vs German Tanks and TD's
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?               Yep!
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?   Nope!
5) How many players were in the game?                      8
6) What went well?                                                    The new ones quickly got the hang of it and in the end the US tankers found out how to defeat the heavier German tanks.
7) What could have been improved?                            With more experience the game will speed up. We need that!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rum, Buggery, and the Lash
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs Allies
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No. Unfamiliar, and problems emerged at every turn.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? Nuttin'; saving rolls for ships under the right circumstances are a good feature to retain.
7) What could have been improved? -Gales shouldn't blow up easily; the outscouted fleet shouldn't be in an upwind position; fleets should begin on the table; faster movement and longer ranges (a bit) should be possible. Above all, the rules must not allow endless jockeying for position (captains might try that, but these rules are aiming at having the players take admirals' decisions).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quoteaiming at having the players take admirals' decisions
I'm interested in seeing how these rules evolve

steve_holmes_11

What happened between Feb 1st and today?
Stuff's missing...

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 06 February 2020, 07:44:14 PM
What happened between Feb 1st and today?
Stuff's missing...

My mistake entirely - some chump has been posting in "What was the last ... 2019".  =)  =)  =)

Last Hussar

Quote7) What could have been improved? - Everything - Last Hussar won ........WITH AUSTRIANS ........AGAINST THE FRENCH!!!   

I still think this thread should have been locked after this.  Nothing else matters.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder II with the Glory Hallelujah supplement.
2) What armies were confronted? - Union v Confederate ACW.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Shirley Wayne and his cavalry played a starring roll as always. The scenario was the best so far, but still a tough one for the Rebs. The 'Whipped' rule worked well.
7) What could have been improved? - Gump's Brigade rolling two Blunders, one of which took them off the table. Shooting wise it was lots of Disorder and not many hits until towards the end.