my painting challenge for 2020!

Started by petercooman, 31 December 2019, 01:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

31 December 2019, 01:04:46 PM Last Edit: 31 December 2019, 01:14:41 PM by petercooman
Going to start the new year and the new painting thread with a plan!

this is what i have open: (adjusted a bit to account for doubles-leftovers from boxes-sprues)

the tally : about 5753 models are painted and 2340 models are still waiting for love.

all the projects:

1) epic orcs
2)epic space marines
3) warhammer fantasy undead
4)warhammer fantasy orcs and goblins
5)  warhammer bretonnians
6)  D&D temple of elemental evil game (1/10th done)
7) D&D tomb of annihilation game
8 ) d&d mad mage game
9 ) mice and mystics/reaper mouselings (prepped and mounted to bases)
10) 40k dark angels (dark vengeance starter set)
11) 40k chaos (dark vengeance starter set)
12)40k imperial guard
13) LOTR high elves
14)LOTR goblins
15)napoleonic waterloo British/Hanoverians/prussians
16) napoleonic waterloo french
17)peninsular british (93 models)
18)peninsular french (77 models)
19)peninsular spanish guerrilla (53 models)
20)walking dead minis (84 models)

(for some reason i have no scenery left doing so this one can go, probably a miscount
21)various scenery (1model)

So i have 20 various projects open to work on, but there are specific models i want to get finished:

1) alll my walking dead minis so i can play through the entire campaign (84 models)
2) 1 to 3 complete d&d board games. (at least one to keep me going on them) (between50-150)
3) forces for the peninsula to play sharp practise (french 77, british 93, spanish 53). No problem if these are not all painted, as long as i have enough for a game!

And the overall tally should be 600+ models again, wich is about 50 per month.

Numbers have been dropping each year, but that is mainly through a shift from small scale stuff to 28mm models. As long as the painting rate is as good as the grow rate of the mountain, i can keep it in check  ;D

2017: 1001 models painted
2018: 767 models painted
2019: 654 models painted

Curious to see if i can pull off the napoleonic one, as that is a big chunk, and not an easy one!!!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Looks a good plan, I wonder how long it will last ;)

Quoteas long as i have enough for a game!
This I find a real motivator, do enough from both sides for a game. Then you want to add a few more units, then a few more, ...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: paulr on 31 December 2019, 06:38:53 PM
Looks a good plan, I wonder how long it will last ;)
This I find a real motivator, do enough from both sides for a game. Then you want to add a few more units, then a few more, ...

Yes, having games with them always makes you want more! Best motivator to get you going. Maybe that's why some projects remain 7nloved for do long, nobody to play them with!

Steve J

A good plan and as others have said, once you have enough painted to game both sides, then you can add to them as and when needed.

Techno

petercooman

andys

My painting challenge for this year is to tackle the 14,600 points worth of Warmaster figures I've not yet done. Considering I've done no painting at all for 2 full years, it's going to be interesting to try to get my mojo back!

Ithoriel

14,600 points worth of Warmaster figures .... Wow! ............ is that all? :)

Lots to paint then! As one who's mojo has been severely eroded over the past few years by "The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to" as Bill the Bard wrote, I'm finding little and often works better for me than trying to discipline myself to commit big chunks of time to completing things - YMMV!

"How do you eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time!" :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

andys

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 January 2020, 07:46:47 PM
14,600 points worth of Warmaster figures .... Wow! ............ is that all? :)

Lots to paint then! As one who's mojo has been severely eroded over the past few years by "The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to" as Bill the Bard wrote, I'm finding little and often works better for me than trying to discipline myself to commit big chunks of time to completing things - YMMV!

"How do you eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time!" :D
I "got stuck" 2 years ago painting 8 units of cavalry for my Albion army. I hate painting cavalry but equally don't like to skip over things.

Ithoriel

Quote from: andys on 02 January 2020, 10:25:10 PM
I "got stuck" 2 years ago painting 8 units of cavalry for my Albion army. I hate painting cavalry but equally don't like to skip over things.

My fault then ... I wrote the original Albion list :)

Still hoping the "Balori" see the light of day sometime, Leon!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Got the first finished model of the year,and a big one!

Made the 2d map of the prison (for the walking dead game) into a 3d layout, using cardboard, lolly and match sticks, plaster and lots of time!

after construction

painted

doors are all separate and can be opened

So adding 1 (but a big one out of multiple parts  :P) model, brings the total to 1 model painted!

Also received some stuff i bought with some more holiday money:

MDF houses that fit on the woodbury gaming mat for the walking dead, and farm animals to populate my table. I have been looking at this kit on crisis but ran out of money there  :P , but i added it this time to bring me up to free shipping ;)

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You really have been busy, top build
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner