2019 Wargaming in review

Started by paulr, 31 December 2019, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

2019 was another good wargaming year for me with 36 games and 158 playing hours

I was involved in:

• 5 DBMM 20/28mm games with Marian Romans, Ancient British and Leidang
  • 1 Big Battle DBA 10mm game with my First Crusade forces
  • 9 FK&P games; 8 with 10mm Royalist, Parliament and/or Covenant forces and 1 with 28mm Royalist and Parliament forces
  • 6 home grown Napoleonic games with 20mm French, British and/or Prussians forces
  • 1 ITLSU 1914 WWI 10mm game with British and Germans forces
  • 3 GQ I/II WWII naval games; 2 short American & Japanese games, 1 British & German game
  • 6 home grown WWII 20mm games; 2 1940 British/French/German, 2 1941 British/German in the desert and 2 1943/44 British/German in Europe
  • 1 Target for Tonight Bomber Command raid over Germany
  • 1 FoW 15mm British/German 1944 game with my son
  • 3 Fast Play Fleets - Star Trek games with my son

We didn't get to play the following this year:
V&B 10mm AWI, home grown Napoleonic naval, V&B 6mm Napoleonic, GQ I/II Pre-dreadnought naval, GQ I/II WWI naval, Spearhead 6mm WWII, Modern Spearhead 6mm 1980s

The feature of the year was definitely 'For King & Parliament'.
These rules provide an entertaining smooth flowing game full of period flavour. They have enabled me to finally play ECW games, a period I first started looking at about three decades ago.

I've completed painting Pierre the Shy's Scottish forces and painting and basing my English forces.
Thanks to all the forum members who took the time and trouble to encourage us to use a flexible sabot basing system rather than the diorama style bases I had originally intended.

The highlight of the year was the three successful refights of the Battle of Cheriton 1644 at the NZ Nationals at Easter.
Thanks to Andrew and Simon for their assistance with preparing the scenario.

As the end of the game approaches tension mounts and the draw of every chit matters...

Cheriton 2019 - Game 1 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18482.0.html
Cheriton 2019 - Game 2 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18500.0.html
Cheriton 2019 - Game 3 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18505.0.html

We also played Pierre the Shy's very enjoyable FK&P Advance on Leith scenario twice at the Call to Arms show in Wellington in August. http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18928.0.html

Next year will get off to a great start with an air game on 2nd and a Napoleonic game on 4th January.

Pierre the Shy's Dunbar 1650 refight will happen in late January. Later in the year I'm looking to stage Cropredy Bridge 1644 and First Newbury 1643.

Our regular group has started a 20mm Napoleonic campaign which will provide a number of games spread through 2020.

While finishing the ECW figures I've been considering my next project. It will be 10 DBA armies for the Punic wars and will start once the new Greeks are released.

Over the Christmas break I've painted and based the WWII cargo ships Aksu kindly 3D printed for me 'some' time ago.

My other aim for next year is to play at least some of the periods and rule sets we have and didn't quite get around to this year.

My thanks to all the forum members for the interest, support, information, entertainment and confusion they have contributed over the year.

Happy New Year to all
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Happy New Year to you too Paul :). An interesting overview of your year and what stands out for me is the mix of rules and periods you guys play. Looking forward to seeing what 2020 brings forth.

paulr

Thanks Steve

I think we have reached 'peak rules', we just don't have time to play them all and take a while to come back up to speed when we do get back to them
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 31 December 2019, 06:44:27 AM
Happy New Year to you too Paul :). An interesting overview of your year and what stands out for me is the mix of rules and periods you guys play. Looking forward to seeing what 2020 brings forth.

I'll second that !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Happy New Year chap, great review.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Well done, Paul. You and your pals are a credit to the hobby. As I write, I understand it is the new year in NZ - it's still last year, here - so, Happy New Year to you, too.  <:-P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Happy New Year!  A great review, and I am really looking forward to hearing your reports regarding your 2020 ECW games. Both Dunbar nd Cropredy Bridge are on my own list of games to do, so I will be taking notes!  I walked a 9 mile circuit of Cropredy Bridge a couple of years back, and have vivd memories of the awful hill Waller's horse had to try and get up to get into the Royalist rear. Bon chance!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Norm

Thanks for a year of great posts and blog support. best wishes for 2020 (the line-up is already looking interesting)