Pendraken vs the World

Started by fsn, 30 December 2019, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

I have been trying to reduce my lead mountain. Digging into the very substrata, I discovered some non-Pendraken figures. I'm not going to mention who the manufacturer is, but I thught I'd paint 'em up and see how we go.

Well. Some of the figures had "pinheads" ... far too small, and some looked as if they had prosthetic limbs. The metal they were made out of was soooo soft and yet brittle that bending a weapon back into shape was enough for it to snap off. The amount of flash and bits of sprue remaining meant quite a lot of cleaning before they could be undercoated.

I mention this, not to denigrate the other manufacturer, but to compare with Pendraken. Their figures are generally of excellent quality, robust, and the only bit of cleaning is usually a bit of grot on the odd base or two.

I think we sometimes take this quality and service for granted, and it takes something like digging up some figures from another manufacturer to make one realise the excellence of our favourite manufacturer.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Were they 10mm? How old do you think they are?

Oh, and I agree with you about the general excellence of Pendraken figures.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I have no favorites - just ones I wont buy. (Primarily GHQ, too much detail, FAR FAR to expensive)

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Thanks for the kind words fsn, it's certainly something we try to keep an eye on.  Anything that starts to get too much flash on it is swiftly pulled and remoulded!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!