bavarian uniform for Shleswig 1848

Started by Dave, 19 December 2019, 02:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hi
Can anybody help me? I've found a drawing saying 1850's, another for 1848, is the uniform the same as the Prussian/German states?

Cheers Dave

mollinary

19 December 2019, 02:38:35 PM #1 Last Edit: 19 December 2019, 02:51:25 PM by mollinary
Sorry Dave, not sure what you are asking here?  You make Bavarian infantry and Chevaulegers for 1848 already. If you have specific uniform questions, I'll try and help. I think the Bavarians contributed one brigade of 5 battalions, 6 squadrons and 16 guns. Ralph Weaver produced a nice little book, published by Partizan Press, on the Armies of the First Schleswig Holstein War, 1848-51. I think it is still available from Caliver at £16.99.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Dave

Cheers, just checking info and its a big help to know how many units were available.

Dave

Dave

mollinary

The Bavarians sent a brigade as a contribution to the Federal Army for the 1849 campaign. It was the 1st Brigade of the 1st Combined Division, and it wa commanded by MG von Schmalz. It contained:

2nd Jaeger Battalion
2nd Battalion, 4th IR
1st Battalion, 7th IR
1st Battalion, 8th IR
2nd Battalion, 13th IR

6th Chevaulegers

16 guns, 6pdrs and 12pdrs.

Uniform. Line infantry, mid blue (Cornflower) tunic and trousers. Red shoulder straps, and piping, including the seam of the trousers. Collar and cuffs were in regimental colours, as follows. 4th and 8th Yellow, 7th Pink, 13th Dark Green. Button colours 4th and 13th white metal, 7th and 8th yellow metal.  Badge on helmet front was yellow metal sunburst. Crossbelts white.

Jaegers. Same mid blue tunic and trousers, but collar, cuffs, shoulder straps, piping were all green. Crossbelts black.

Chevaulegers.  Same as infantry, but red collar and cuffs, and white metal shoulder scales instead of straps.

Artillery. Dark blue tunic and trousers, black collars and cuffs, piped red. White crossbelts, yellow metal shoulder scales.

Hope that helps!

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!