Project 2020 - Punic Wars

Started by paulr, 14 December 2019, 08:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: d_Guy on 15 December 2019, 07:33:14 PM
Sorry, a Game of Thrones reference from season 8, which is now a popular theme amongst GoT fans. Queen Cersei, she really wanted elephants in her army.

Point taken on anachronistic reference. Let's go with Elephanti delenda est  :D

A very interesting period - look forward to following your painting diary for same.

ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!! Flippin spoilers I am about to watch season 6.  Any m,ore of then d_Guy and I will send Nobby to stay with you for a few weeks. :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

d_Guy

Quote from: Orcs on 15 December 2019, 07:51:14 PM
ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!! Flippin spoilers I am about to watch season 6.  Any m,ore of then d_Guy and I will send Nobby to stay with you for a few weeks. :)

Who's to say he's not here already! (Enjoy 6, 7, 8 and mum's the word.  :) )
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

I'm looking for Pendraken proxies rather than using another manufacturer for some of the troops for 4 of the armies.

II/8a Bruttian or Lucanian 420-203BC and  II/8c Apulian 420-206BC

I need quite a few Warriors (Auxilia) I'm thinking of using ARR9 Italian Allies and/or ARL6 Unarmoured, attacking, mixed weapons. As there are only 2 poses in ARR9.
Perhaps the warriors should look more Greek, unarmoured Hoplites...

ARR9 ARL6

Would ARL10 Militia be suitable for Peasants (Horde), or are they too well equipped?

ARL10

And I not sure about either ACR2 Javelinmen, shield / ARL1 Unarmoured, standing, spear for the Javelinmen (Psiloi).

ACR2 ARL1
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

II/9a Syracuse in Sicily 410-210BC

Is the ADA6 Ballista with crew appropriate for a Syracuse bolt-shooter or is the design totally wrong?
Any suggestions for more Greek looking crew for the bolt shooter?

II/32a Later Carthaginian 275-202BC
Any suggestions for figures for non-Numidian Carthaginian light horse?

II/33 Polybian Roman 275-105BC
Any other suggestions for the Italian Allies? (There are only 2 poses in ARR9 as mentioned above). Would ARL6 Unarmoured, attacking, mixed weapons or  ARL1 Unarmoured, standing, spear mentioned above be suitable?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions

Ithoriel

For peasant hordes I've two suggestions

1. Anglo-Saxon AS5 Levy / peasant foot painted as if in tunic and boots

2. Colonial SC5 Mahdists shaven head with the swordsman converted to wielding a club

The former are a bit too hairy, the latter a bit too bald .... maybe a mix of the two? :)

For Psiloi I'd use GRE10 Javelinmen

GRE9 Light hoplite with spear or the ACR5 Iberian Auxiliaries, spear/sword figure with spear might do for Italians - moreso than Late Romans IMHO.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Thanks Ithoriel, some useful suggestions

I'm going to wait until Leon releases the new Greeks  :-w :!! :-w

I suspect two of the previewed 'Psiloi Skirmiishers x 3' will be the new equivalent of GRE10
and the previewed 'Unarmoured Hoplites x 2' will be the equivalent of GRE9
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18228.msg272448.html#msg272448

One of the things I'm trying avoid is using the same figures in too many armies, ACR5 is a useful option as I'm not using those in the Carthaginian army
I'm using ASP2 Scutarii with sword and spear for the Spanish troops in the Carthaginian army even though they are also in the II/39a Iberian, II/39b Celtiberian armies as they are 'imports' from those armies

paulr

I've pretty much settled on my order for the armies :) :-B @-)

I now need to turn my attention to the camps, each camp will be on a 80x40mm base

There will be one for each army:

• Siciliot
  • Bruttian or Lucanian / Apulian
  • Syracuse in Sicily
  • Gallic
  • Later Carthaginian x2
  • Polybian Roman x2
  • Iberian x2

I'm open to suggestions

I was wondering about these:

SCN-NML15 Horses, baggage

SCN-TNT4 Command tents (x2)

SCN-TNT2 Medieval tents (2)

DAX1 Dark Age civilian group (5)

Maybe remove the latern from the figure on the left and have him leading a pack horse :-\

All suggestions welcome

fred.

The various 'farm' animals are good for camps,I  particularly like the geese and cats

There are civilians in the Sudan range and the Mongol range - would be worth a look to see if any fit clothing wise.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

MUT24 Indian civilians (30) might provide some suitable figures ... though the guy with the turban might need a head swap :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

As I start to do my painting research for the Punic wars project I'm thinking about skin tone and hair colours

I typically use Vallejo 955 Flat Flesh highlighted with 845 Sunny Skin Tone and stereo-typically would use 867 Dark Blue Grey for hair for 'Mediterranean types'

I'm interested in any feedback on 'nationalities' that would vary significantly from this

The 'nationalities' included in the armies I'm doing:

Romans
Carthaginian
   Poeni
   Libyan
Numidians
Iberian / Celtiberian
Siciliot
Gauls
Bruttian, Lucanian, Apulian
Syracuse
Tarentines