Hello from Manchester

Started by Morty, 13 December 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morty

Thanks for the add. I have recently retired and am getting stuck in to a new project - European wars of 1848 to 1878. I have never used 10mm before but am finding it perfect for this period.

Steve J

Welcome on board and you've chosen a great period to game. Looking forward to see what rules you plan to use, what armies you choose etc.

mollinary

Welcome indeed! 10mm is a great choice for this period, as the Pendraken ranges are second go none.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Welcome, Morty, to the warm, wonderful, if occasionally weird world of the Pendraken forum.

Lots of supportive and knowledgeable people here so feel free to ask questions.

Thread derailment is a common phenomenon here, if it happens before you receive a sensible answer cough politely and draw attention back to the OP :)

Cheers!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well I suppose some 'as to live in Manchester !! Hi and enjoy.  :D ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Morty

Thank you for your kind welcome. In terms of rules I've looked at

Age of Valor
Bloody Big Battles
Black Powder

Any recommendations?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Hi Morty, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

Quote from: Morty on 13 December 2019, 04:30:37 PM
Thank you for your kind welcome. In terms of rules I've looked at

Age of Valor
Bloody Big Battles
Black Powder

Any recommendations?

A good collection there. As is so often the case, it depends what exactly you are looking for from a set of rules, and what size actions you wish to play. Two other sets which might be worth considering, if you like simple and elegant mechanisms, for big battles, are the old, but still good, 'Volley and Bayonet' by the great Frank Chadwick, and 'To the Last Gaiter Button' by one of our esteemed forum members, Bernie Ganley. 
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

...and a very warm welcome from me, too !  :-h

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Welcome :-h

I'm also a fan of Volley & Bayonet :)

Bloody Big Battles seems to be very popular and the author is also an esteemed forum member ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Welcome Morty of Manchester, pull up a chair.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

Bloody Big Battles gets my vote. Elegant rules that allow you to fight big battles in 2-3 hours. Plenty of online support as well with loads of free scenarios.

Orcs

Welcome to the Fold. Retired - I am jealous, but good luck to you

Mind you some would say I am semi retired now due to the time off I get by working shifts :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

14 December 2019, 12:16:59 AM #14 Last Edit: 14 December 2019, 12:19:16 AM by FierceKitty
New members are a cheering sight. Wilkommen, bienvenue, hello.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.