Fort Cappuzzo in 10mm

Started by Sunray, 11 December 2019, 11:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I was inspired by the 15mm version Flames of War "Desert Fort" - a simplified version of Fort Cappuzzo. The main gate is different.

A shift around 10mm suppliers would suggest it is not available off the shelf.  I do note Old Glory has released a French Foreign Legion fort in 10mm.

So could I scratch build?   The gatehouse is not unlike a Roman fort and two corner towers were round.  (see image on Wills wargame blog. )

Has anyone tried this project in 10mm?   I am looking at material in both 10mm and other larger scales.  Even round towers in plastic.

Any suggestions ?

Sunray

Thanks for this !  Lasercraft in an option and good bang for the buck. A lot of my bridges/damaged buildings are from this source.

If it were possible, I would still opt for round towers (round houses?).   Happy to look at other scales and blodge down to 10mm.  :)

Dr Dave

I have two of the laser craft forts for my desert games - one for normal and another for demolished. It's a nice model with plenty of interior detail in the accommodation areas and doors etc.

The only issues are:
1. It's a tight fit model - be ready to sand some surfaces down;
2. Cappuzzo had round towers - not square. I'm going to use the card inner roll for the kitchen foil when the wife's not looking!

Also, the fort was part of a much wider complex - tents, outbuildings, walls, wire fences etc... The Fort itself makes up only about a 1/4 of the entire site.

Orcs

Quote from: Shedman on 12 December 2019, 09:21:42 AM
What about the one by my mate Shaun

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-10mm-scale-North-African-Fort-colonial-desert-North-Africa/372477776049?hash=item56b967d0b1:g:AI8AAOSwwxFbdA7J

I have this one for French Foreign Legion and its lovely.  paints up reallyy well. Can fit a 20x20mm base in each turret and 80mm frontahe of base on each wall facing.  Sunjester saw it and said OOOHHH! we might have to have one each.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunray

Quote from: Shedman on 12 December 2019, 09:21:42 AM
What about the one by my mate Shaun

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-10mm-scale-North-African-Fort-colonial-desert-North-Africa/372477776049?hash=item56b967d0b1:g:AI8AAOSwwxFbdA7J

https://twomarshals.blogspot.com/p/fort-laperrine-in-10mm.html

Shaun's FFL style fort arrived this morning. I do recommend it as an off the shelf 19th/early 20th century fort.  I will do nicely as "run down east African fortification'  commanding a harbour.
Add a few AA guns to those towers..  And DUN-FUR 26 double doors from Fantasy range.  This will allow the illusion that jeeps and vehicles can use gateway.

I also decided to scratch build an Italian style fort inspired by Cappuzzo -  so ordered FoW walls and a 28mm scale tower.   The Tower also arrived today.  My logic was that it comes in four 50mm sections = four towers in 10mm.  On inspection the height is OK, but they are too wide to be scale accurate for Cappuzzo style round towers. 15mm might work.

If it doesn't work aesthetically, I might use them as Martello type single towers.

Dave is correct when he refers to the 1940s Italian base extending beyond the walls. 

Sunray

That Flames of War "Desert Walls" in 15mm I was going to use for scratch building still has not arrived from The Outpost -  looks like I will have to report it missing in the post.  :(

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Update -  Craig from Outpost informed me that with the Christmas chaos its in the backorder, and I will get an email on dispatch . :) +1

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 07 January 2020, 11:20:21 AM
Update -  Craig from Outpost informed me that with the Christmas chaos its in the backorder, and I will get an email on dispatch . :) +1

Backorder from Outpost arrived today!  :)

And - yes! ! the 15mm Desert Walls are about the right height for a 10mm Fort (35mm high).  Nice scratch build project.

Shaun's fort has been modified with a file cut to widen the inside entry to the gateway, and a new gate( FUR 26) has been added.

The 20x20mm towers are really good.   :)

Sunray

20 January 2020, 09:24:06 AM #11 Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 10:23:45 AM by Sunray
PAINTING!   The Fort.

I am torn between (a) a faded sandstone,  (b) much weathered off white/grey  or (c) the grimy finish that Escenograf  gets on their models.

Any advice from seasoned fort painters??

I suppose this colouring will be determined by (1) the natural materials available such as sandstone and (2) national traditions - did the French favour bleached white?

Orcs

Quote from: Sunray on 20 January 2020, 09:24:06 AM
PAINTING!   The Fort.

I am torn between (a) a faded sandstone,  (b) much weathered off white/grey  or (c) the grimy finish that Escenograf  gets on their models.

Any advice from seasoned fort painters??

I suppose this colouring will be determined by (1) the natural materials available such as sandstone and (2) national traditions - did the French favour bleached white?

As I understand it, most things ended up the colour of the surrounding sand/ soil. However  I went with ivory, a sepia wash then a drybrush,
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunray

Quote from: Orcs on 20 January 2020, 04:40:33 PM
As I understand it, most things ended up the colour of the surrounding sand/ soil. However  I went with ivory, a sepia wash then a drybrush,

Sounds cool.  Do you have an image?

Sunray

Mark, just a wee note of thanks for taking the time to send images to my email.  The ivory paint really works.   Inspiring stuff.