Google question.

Started by Techno, 07 December 2019, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

As I've mentioned before, I don't bookmark 'stuff', so I use the opening Google page every time. (And I clear everything, every time I log off the 'net)

Up until a few days ago, Google seemed to like predicting what I might be looking for.....

SO, by the time I'd typed in P E N D R A K.........I'd get a drop down list of a lot of Pendraken possibilities.
Simply typing in a G....usually gave me Gmail  as first choice.

Doesn't seem to predict anymore.
Have Google 'changed things', or have I pressed a button I shouldn't have ?

I'm not that fussed.....Just interested if anyone has noticed the same thing.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Have you cleared out your cache? Cleared out you history?

That would do it.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

No changes to Google that I've seen.  It still 'suggests' stuff based, it seems, on my Google history.  Have you deleted your Google history?

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 07 December 2019, 08:45:21 AM
Have you cleared out your cache? Cleared out you history?
That would do it.

I clear out absolutely EVERYTHING each time I finish on the net, Nobby/John...and this hasn't happened before.

But....Thinking about it...I might have an idea of 'something that's changed'.
I use 'Firefox' rather than Google Chrome.......and Firefox had an 'update' this week.....probably around the time the 'predictions' went awol.

No such thing as a coincidence ?  ;)

Cheers - Phil....Back to the boiler.....That's playing silly sods as well, this morning.... >:( X_X

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Any update will "fix" things which aint broke, so that is the most likley cause. I have firefox but dont use it. Just looked though and it dosnt have the "settings " page that chrome has. Have a look at the third symbol from the right, at top of page, should have a "history" tab.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Firefox "settings page" is Tools > Options - top left by default.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Naaaah.  ;)

(But thanks, Ian & Mike)

It's working well enough for me not to bother....

If I start messing around with 'Tools' or 'Options' I usually intercourse things up completely. :D

I'm more peed off with the boiler playing very silly sods.....But I can 'fudge that' (hopefully...I know enough to be dangerous) until 'the boilerman' comes round.

Cheers - Phil

Fetch a bigaaar 'amer eh Phil !

Techno

No...Ian. ;)

It's a case of knowing which 'knob' to turn..having taken the wretched thing apart......once I'd taken all the housing away from the boiler.
I'm far, Far too old for all this poop.

Phil

Heedless Horseman

We had an old boiler...which we liked 'cos it was just On/Off. Needed a new heat exchanger...HUGE part came in but when Gas lads started to fit...a hole was made in old casing by accident. 'Rules' meant a whole new boiler required and new law, (Thank You Mr. Brown! >:()...meant a condenser boiler...with thermostats/timers and such which we don't use...and an outfall pipe which froze until a heater element was fitted...dunno if THAT is working as light doesn't come of when it is freezing...(but has not froze again...yet)... and not covered in cover plan! Ma was paying for that 'repair' for 6 years!
As the things cost 'an arm and a leg' ..suggest leaving well alone given injury record!!!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

Believe it or not, we're at that time of year when it's a relief to have hot shower in the morning, and aircon isn't needed. If we're lucky it lasts about six weeks.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 08 December 2019, 02:03:52 AM
..meant a condenser boiler...with thermostats/timers and such which we don't use..
As the things cost 'an arm and a leg' ..suggest leaving well alone given injury record!!!  ;)

Our 'old' boiler repair man told us to keep our current boiler going for as long as poss...(There can't be many things in there that haven't already been replaced)....He said that all the other 'repairers' he knew, thought the new condenser boilers were complete pants.

They worked well in 'test conditions'....But 'in the field' they started playing up far sooner than the older models...and one part (I think the actual condenser) corrodes very quickly and needs replacing.

The only thing I'm having to do to it, at the mo'....is keep bleeding it.....And I know which bit does that. (Quickly)
For some reason it keeps pulling water into the central heating 'tank'....and the pressure goes up way beyond what it should be.
It SHOULD stay at around one and a half bar(s)....But keeps creeping up to three and a half.....at that point it lets water out of the overflow pipe....in drips

It's weird....It usually looses pressure.....incredibly slowly.....

It did the same thing a few months ago.....and then settled down after a couple of days.

Both times the day after the washing machine had been used......But it doesn't throw a hissy fit every time the washing machine is used....Very odd. :-\

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Quote from: Techno on 08 December 2019, 07:47:39 AM
Our 'old' boiler repair man told us to keep our current boiler going for as long as poss...(There can't be many things in there that haven't already been replaced)....He said that all the other 'repairers' he knew, thought the new condenser boilers were complete pants.

That's exactly what our boiler "service engineer" told us for years before the house refurb. At one point he cobbled together a temporary repair using a bit of metal and cable ties because he knew someone who had the part he needed but couldn't get it for 1 week or so. Probably against all the rules, but kept our hot water going until he got the part.

When the house was refurbed a couple of years ago, the old boiler had to go, but our new one has been fine so far. We didn't get one of those "combi bollocks" (the actual words the plumber used) but a more traditional system.

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 December 2019, 09:05:47 AM
Obviuously haunted !  :D

Hmmmm...Sometimes I wonder whether the collie, that we lost recently, is still around.

Sounds of her coming down the stairs into the 'study'.....and scratching at the back door, when the four 'labs' are all inside.
She was the only one that ever scratched at the door.....Two of the labs simply reach up to the handle, and either pull or push the door open.....Missy couldn't reach the handle....She was too small !  :)

Cheers - Phil