Ambushes and Field Defences

Started by Zypheria, 29 November 2019, 07:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zypheria

I'm going to play a big battle (4000 points vs 6000) and I'm planning to use some ambushes against my enemies to delay the advance of their troops. The question is, Can I once revealed the 3 troops per Ambush deploy them inside Hasty Field Defences like trenches?

petercooman

I would say yes, as long as it makes sense in the terrain they deploy in.

Big Insect

I'd agree that Trenches could be included in the Ambush but only if the Trenches are deployed in cover.

You'd need to have bought the Trenches at the outset of the game. The points for the Trenches must fall into the % points allocated for hasty defense.
You can only have enough field defenses for the troops in the Ambush - no more.
No other types of defenses can be used in Ambush - that includes barbed-wire or minefields or gun pits or vehicle scrapes etc.

There might be an argument for a force like the Japanese (specifically) hiding dug-outs and maybe even pill-boxes in an Ambush but only in dense jungle.
Maybe even allowing something similar in the areas of rubble inside a large BUA of damaged buildings (such as Stalingrad or Berlin - for example). But these would need to be specifically agreed by all players at the start of a game or in a campaign or scenario setting. Also be careful of the visibility and proximity rules that trigger Ambushes in cover.

The way Ambushes work in the rules allows an appropriate degree of flexibility around their deployment and allocating field defenses into an Ambush might make what is already a very powerful games mechanism (especially with the attached artillery barrage rule) even more powerful. So I'd suggest you give it a go, and if you'd report back on how it worked, good or bad, and any unforeseen consequences, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.