Painting detail with Acrylic markers?

Started by GridGame, 24 November 2019, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Dr Dave on 24 November 2019, 01:26:24 PM
Pens - it's the future and can save a huge amount of time as well. I've been using them for years. My daughter uses poska pens for her art work so I just nick hers. White for straps is bloody marvellous.

I 'borrowed' a Posca' pen from one of my daughters. The colour was quite vivid (light blue) but was susceptible to scratching. Not sure I'll change my method.
My Ego forbids a signature.

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 November 2019, 12:48:39 PM
I use sharpies quite a lot; they make life much easier.

I hadn't heard of these pens before.  Thanks for the tip.

FierceKitty

I hope you can get them. Remember I live in Bangkok.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Sharpies ?  :)

I use a fine tip one for marking brass rod to the length I need for 'whatever'.

Certainly available here in the UK.

Cheers - Phil

Dr Dave

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 24 November 2019, 11:56:47 PM
I 'borrowed' a Posca' pen from one of my daughters. The colour was quite vivid (light blue) but was susceptible to scratching. Not sure I'll change my method.

I'm not sure about the robustness of them. I certainly use the white for straps etc.. but it's often "protected" from contact with the figure's arms and weapons plus I always matt varnish anyway.

Orcs

Ordered a Posca white and a brown, on the basis of the comments here. I will see how I get on 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Bunny

The POSKA Pens are there different nib sizes?  If so what is good for 10mm detail?

Techno

Though I'm not familiar with this particular brand, Bunny.....I'd guess that the finest nib size would be the one you'd require for '10mm' detail.
Having had a quick 'Google', that size would appear to be 0.7mm.

Though I don't use them for painting, (I use them to 'mark' brass rod etc) the uniPIN brand of markers would be even better for ultra fine detail, as they go down to 0.05mm nibs.

The 'disadvantage' is that I believe they only do the basic black, blue, green & red.......and the nibs being so fine, these tend to 'dry' very quickly while you're using them.....and you have to go and make a few 'squiggles' on a piece of paper before they 'flow' again.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

I'm a little late to the party.

I tried using permanent markers about a decade back.
Added abbreviated named to tabs on naval mini bases.

Despite a covering clear varnish layer, the ink faded rather quickly.

Dr Dave

Inks are either suspensions of particles - carbon in the case of black, or dyes and so prone to fading. All permenant markers use dyes I think, and so will fade. Carbon is much more robust - like most black paints.