Painting detail with Acrylic markers?

Started by GridGame, 24 November 2019, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GridGame

I am having some difficulty with my paintwork quality having come to the conclusion that my eyesight and manual dexterity is not what is was in my late teens! The principle issue is webbing, horse harness and other fine detail. I had wondered about using metallic Sharpies for bayonet & spear points – but these are comparatively easy to paint. Recently I saw Fb post about using POSKA acrylic markers.

Any advice, comments etc?

Glorfindel

At a slight tangent - some advice ref painting horse harnessing.   How much effort you put into this I think depends on the figure size.   For 6 & 10mm figures, I undercoat the whole figure black and then just block in the areas of horse flesh between the harness.   Leave the reins / harness black - it looks fine.   I must admit that I don't paint larger figures anymore so this works for me.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with comments about the markers !

Phil

FierceKitty

I use sharpies quite a lot; they make life much easier.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dr Dave

Pens - it's the future and can save a huge amount of time as well. I've been using them for years. My daughter uses poska pens for her art work so I just nick hers. White for straps is bloody marvellous.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 November 2019, 12:48:39 PM
I use sharpies quite a lot; they make life much easier.

Hi G,G.....

I keep banging on about them, but......
If you're struggling with close work....Perhaps think about investing in a pair of 'Optivisors'....Or equivalent.

I truly couldn't manage without mine....and I believe a number of our esteemed colleagues, on the forum, also find them invaluable.

Cheers - Phil :)

Ithoriel

I'll second " 'Optivisors'....Or equivalent"

I'd be lost without mine when painting, converting or making terrain.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sunjester

I must admit, since Last Hussar lent me his old "equivalents" it has made a huge difference. Now I wouldn't attempt fine detail like straps etc without them

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 24 November 2019, 01:47:28 PM
. . . Perhaps think about investing in a pair of 'Optivisors'

I know it's a pair of glasses, but that sounds . . . wrong. Like you're buying two, one for each head, maybe?

The oddities of the English language.

Ithoriel

To be fair, my Rolson "not-an-optivisor" has pairs of lenses, like a pair of glasses so a pair of Optivisors isn't too outlandish.  Though I still think of it as AN optivisor.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

I use a cheap pair of 5.0 reading glasses picked up via the net.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

My painting looks so much better since my sight got worse.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mollinary on 24 November 2019, 08:32:37 PM
I use a cheap pair of 5.0 reading glasses picked up via the net.

My solution was laser eye surgery and +3 reading glasses. Has worked for the last ten years but my optician now tells me I am developing cataracts.
My Ego forbids a signature.

GridGame

All

Thanks for all the replies

1] so use of acrylic markers is a 'yes'

2] I have an optivisor

3] I also have a special pair of prescription 'modelling spectacles' as well

4] Overall I suspect the issue is lack of practice over the last 40 years of painting such fine detail. The right light also appears key for my success: previously I used a 100W bulb lamp but this is too bright for long painting sessions. (I already pace myself to about 20 mins and then a rest before starting again). Also I am hoping the ink feed system of the pens is better than my control of the quantity of paint on the brush.

5] I tried painting a horse base black but had great problems in painting 'horse brown' in the gaps leaving the harness black. Perhaps more practice: I do have a lot of ECW cavalry to paint............. (Obviously 10mm Pendraken).

Regards GridGame

Westmarcher

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 24 November 2019, 09:53:24 PM
My solution was laser eye surgery and +3 reading glasses. Has worked for the last ten years but my optician now tells me I am developing cataracts.

"+3 reading glasses?" That's some modifier, Jim. Is that with a D6?  ;)

Me, too, with the cataracts, btw. Getting older is getting less fun than it used to be.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Westmarcher on 24 November 2019, 11:21:24 PM

"+3 reading glasses?" That's some modifier, Jim. Is that with a D6?  ;)

Definitely a d6, I'm old school.

Quote from: Westmarcher on 24 November 2019, 11:21:24 PM

Me, too, with the cataracts, btw. Getting older is getting less fun than it used to be.

I've heard that 70 is the new 21 so I live in hope.
My Ego forbids a signature.