Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Great report, Steve !

I liked the idea of putting a big number on the table..... :)
To aid you when writing the report, and matching up the piccies for each turn ?..Not noticed those before.

Excellent !

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

A trewly interesting battle which left me panting with excitement.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

Thanks chaps and good reply Bill ;D. Phil, we always have the Turn number so we can keep track of things but it does help loads when writing up the AAR.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Good report, Steve.   :-bd

You mentioned that 12 odd units a side worked perfectly for a mid-week game and that this size of force is making you re-think your future gaming requirements, being just about perfect for my gaming needs these days. Roughly speaking, how much time would that play on average? And how long did this battle with 8 on one side, 10 on the other, last?

I've been enjoying the shorter lasting games myself lately when playing games from the Dan Mersey stable of rules. These games have been lasting about 2 hours on average - ideal for setting up and putting away, having a good chat and a relaxing game - and I don't think I'd be happy playing a game longer than 3 hours nowadays (unless it was something really special like a large, multi-player, historical re-fight).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

@ Westmarcher: this last game lasted less than 2 hours, some of the others pushing towards 2 1/2. This gives time for a chat before and after the game, which is as important as the game itself. Certainly for as I get older, around 2 hours ticks all the boxes for a game, plus I'm leaning towards simpler, more elegant game mechanics than lots of detail, so I can concentrate on the game, rather than reading through loads of rules, add ons etc.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.