Romans and Seleucids slugging it out today.

Started by FierceKitty, 20 November 2019, 07:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

FierceKitty

Thanks.

It was a long, hard fight, as the pictures will show, but the constricted frontage let the Romans use all their fancy tricks.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Although outscouted, the Romans were fortunate enough to get a battlefield of half the normal frontage; they (we) attacked during a light rain, intending to reduce the effect of the Seleucid artillery, which was painfully effective last week. A bonus was that the stream you see here was in spate, and very difficult to ford (Seleucids attempting it suffered significant casualties from drowning). But the great advantage was that the limited frontage reduced the effect of the enemy cavalry superiority. In fact, both sides had trouble with cavalry caught in sticky mud when they were required elsewhere.

The architecture is meant to reflect the Hellenic-Asian hybrid culture of the defenders.

FierceKitty

25 November 2019, 07:01:13 AM #18 Last Edit: 25 November 2019, 07:02:58 AM by FierceKitty
The Hellenes sprang a burning pig ambush early on. Too early, in fact, since it disordered our elephants but left them time to rally (the Romans were trying to get better omens, and so were held back, delaying contact). Moral: spring an ambush when you can support any success it has.

FierceKitty

The Indians in the centre caused unexpectedly heavy casualties with their shooting when the rain stopped. My legionaries were significantly reduced in melee effect. Indian cavalry crossing the river, however, fell foul of massed Balearic slingers, and were wiped out entirely. The wheels also started falling off the defense when their Arab troops began asking whether the time was right for total Arab commitment to Hellenisation, and went home upon deciding it wasn't.

FierceKitty

An alarming elephant charge did little; our front opened ranks in classic style, then turned and hit them in rear while the second rank joined in. Attalus of Pergamon, our second-in-command, also came to the party, since the Pergamene cavalry had been able to contribute little to the battle so far. A few legionaries were flattened by the routing elephants, but professional soldiers accept that there will be some casualties even in victory.

FierceKitty

25 November 2019, 07:15:36 AM #21 Last Edit: 25 November 2019, 07:27:35 AM by FierceKitty
Thracian peltasts had a go too, and succeeded in crossing, but acchieved little but pinning my defensive wing for a few turns.  (Note to praetor: the consul needs a new fitness trainer!)

FierceKitty

25 November 2019, 07:18:41 AM #22 Last Edit: 25 November 2019, 07:27:56 AM by FierceKitty
The Italian allies did a fine job holding large numbers on our right, and our tiny elephant force, though the catapults got in one good salvo, kept our left free of cavalry interference. Thus a classic hastati-to-soften-them-up-and principes-to-break-them smashed the Seleucid left wing and sent the phalanx packing.

Techno

Is 'ying tong' is a well known Roman victory chant ?

(I'll have that as an ear-worm for the rest of the day, now.....you swine.)  ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

FierceKitty

To their great humiliation, the argyraspids were unable to get out of square in the centre until the end, when they did and were terminally outflanked. Seleucid morale started to crack, and we were hungry, soan armistice followed.

Lee was a bit shy of joining in with Mike as the Seleucid commander, but after two moves was telling him what to do. I felt a bit sorry for him - he's a very mild-mannered Canadian - but he's married to a Thai as well, so he's probably used to it. He hasn't sent me his photos yet; if he does, I'll post a few, since his approach is interestingly different.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 25 November 2019, 07:21:25 AM
Is 'ying tong' is a well known Roman victory chant ?

(I'll have that as an ear-worm for the rest of the day, now.....you swine.)  ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

I was using that as a place-holder while sorting out an oversized photograph. I am sorry, my capitain. (salutes, knocking cardboard helmet over eyes)

FierceKitty

Mike's pix.

FierceKitty

More Canadian versions.

FierceKitty