BKC-IV Errata!

Started by Leon, 14 November 2019, 10:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

14 November 2019, 10:46:05 PM Last Edit: 27 March 2023, 10:34:09 PM by Leon

After many months of discussion and tweaks behind the scenes, the Blitzkrieg Commander IV Errata sheets are finally here!  We've split the corrections into 2 separate pdf files, one for the rules themselves and one for the army lists.  With the rules errata, we've made sure to give the page number of the correction along with the sentence, paragragh or table that is being amended, to avoid any confusion over which word or number should be altered!  The lists errata is fairly self-explanatory although we're sure there will still be some areas which might be up for debate!

We've managed to address around 95% of the feedback and comments we've had since the launch, with the remaining 5% requiring a bit more thought and some playtests to see if a change is needed.  We'll continue to monitor the feedback as people play the game more and we can respond to any other queries as they come in. 

No doubt there will be some queries on this, but please make sure to give the file a good read-through, along with the wider context in the rules document as well.  There has been a lot of back and forth on some of the points raised and in some cases there will be folks who like the fix that we've implemented while others prefer the original version.  As always with any set of rules, if you prefer to play a particular rule a certain way, and your friends/group/club are on board with that, then go for it!  The bottom line is to enjoy your games!

BKC-IV Rules Errata: HERE
BKC-IV Army List Errata: HERE

Previous Errata: HERE
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Norm

Thanks for all the work going into the BKC stuff.

petercooman

T-Square

Steve J

QuoteNo doubt there will be some queries on this, but please make sure to give the file a good read-through, along with the wider context in the rules document as well.  There has been a lot of back and forth on some of the points raised and in some cases there will be folks who like the fix that we've implemented while others prefer the original version.  As always with any set of rules, if you prefer to play a particular rule a certain way, and your friends/group/club are on board with that, then go for it!  The bottom line is to enjoy your games!

Well said Leon. I've always tweaked BKC to suit my view of things and it works for me, but not necessarily for others. Given the scale of this conflict, the various theatres, troops, weapons used etc, you cannot cover every possible situation. So a good dose of common sense will invariably resolve any 'issues' IMHO.

Dr Dave

I notice now that, regardless of doctrine, for all it says: "When using (optional) Fixed Formations, HQs can only issue orders to units within their own formation."

In BKCIV it used to be:
Rigid: no orders from HQs across formations
Normal: orders from HQs across formations but with a -1 penalty
Flexible: orders from HQs across formations have no penalty.

Is the errata right?

Big Insect

No - not an Errata, it is a Change.

In a Fixed Formation Game HQ's cannot order units outside their own formations regardless of their Tac.Doc.
CO's can, but subject to their Tac.Doc. may be subject to penalties (see below):

Tactical Doctrine - Page 74 Adjust table to read:

Normal Tac.Doc. •  When using (optional) Fixed Formations, HQs can only issue orders to units within their own formation. 
The CO may issue orders to units in other formations, but will be subject to a -1CV command penalty when doing so.

Rigid Tac.Doc. •  When using (optional) Fixed Formations, HQs can only issue orders to units in their own formation. 
The CO may issue orders to units in other formations, but will be subject to a -1CV command penalty when doing so.

Flexible Tac.Doc. •   When using (optional) Fixed Formations, HQs can only issue orders to units in their own formation. 
The CO may issue orders to units in other formations without penalty when doing so.

Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

I didn't see that change coming. It doesn't seem to be all that reflective of German (flexible) as opposed to Russian (rigid) doctrine. Not much real difference bar what the CO can do. Seems to be an unnecessary change. Ho hum.

Prophaniti

Well.  I've had a good read and I like what I see.  Got to give the changes a go on the tabletop of course.

Big Insect

Quote from: Dr Dave on 15 November 2019, 04:45:11 PM
I didn't see that change coming. It doesn't seem to be all that reflective of German (flexible) as opposed to Russian (rigid) doctrine. Not much real difference bar what the CO can do. Seems to be an unnecessary change. Ho hum.

Then, I would suggest that the answer would be to NOT use Fixed Formations, if you want your HQs to be able to order units in other formations.

Flexible Tac.Doc. has other benefits. Rigid has its own specific restrictions and advantages. There is a very subtle balance between CV and Tac.Doc. and a higher CV HQ in a Flexible.Tac.Doc. army already has significant advantages.

I'd also suggest that it was rare for even German formation commanders to order units in other formations, if the commander(s) of those other formations were still alive or in communication with their forces.

Thanks

Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Matt1tibby

I've had chance to look at the BKC IV errata, and there are a few things that seem to be wrong in them, or is it just me? 

1.   Page 1 - the reference to page 20, in the line above Profile Page 8, I think should be page 78 when it discusses Low Profile?

2.   Page 2 – Terrain, Target Unit Table-Page 15, that should be Page 13?

3.   Page 6 – Field defences table. I like the changes in this, but doesn't it disagree with the Saves Table on page 36, and the Fortifications table at the bottom of page 11?

There are also a few typos which I haven't detailed.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

As its your first post Matt - goad moaning !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

Vehicle scrape has a save of "15" - Should say "5" right?

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 23 November 2019, 08:26:28 AM
As its your first post Matt - goad moaning !

Same from me, Matt....Welcome to the forum. :)

Cheers - Phil