Von Ritchofen

Started by MartinKnight1333, 13 November 2019, 09:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hi Martin.

Knowing next to nothing about this....I had a quick 'google' and found this......

http://www.priory.com/history_of_medicine/richthofen.htm

How 'official' this is, I have no idea..and as to its accuracy.  :-\

If it IS the genuine article....The conclusions drawn, here, to seem to be that the 'kill shot' came from the ground. See the inferences and deductions and conclusions 'bit' towards to bottom of the page.

Have a quick gander and see if it throws any light on this.

Cheers - Phil  :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I suspect we will never know the real cause - but seems that the modern consensus seems to be ground fire. However the pilots in the fight were responsible for pushing him down to a level were the ground fire could hit, so can take considerable credit.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 November 2019, 10:19:00 AM
I suspect we will never know the real cause - IanS

Although, as I said....I really know bog all about Von R.....apart from the fact that he was called the Red Baron.....I totally agree with Ian.
It makes me think of high profile legal cases, where the defence and prosecution call 'conflicting' medical experts...To 'prove' the relevant, opposing, points of view.

You pays your money, and takes your choice as to which you believe, I guess.

Cheers - Phil  :)

FierceKitty

Apparently it was quite widely believed that the dreaded Red Baron's powers were beyond those of any man - and that "he" was therefore a "she". Manfred was not amused when a prisoner told him about this.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

There is an examination of the evidence here https://net.lib.byu.edu/~rdh7/wwi/comment/richt.htm.  See the conclusions.  It rules out Brown and Gunner Buie and concludes that it could only have been Popkin or some other unidentified Australian soldier firing a .303 weapon.

The PBS documentary 'Who Killed the Red Baron' came to the same conclusion.

MartinKnight1333

Well I believe this first habd account and the conclusions therein.

We all know over time copiest get things wrong and also tend tp make things fit their idea of what the data should.