Leonardo period troops

Started by Wulf, 05 November 2019, 08:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

05 November 2019, 08:53:40 PM Last Edit: 05 November 2019, 08:58:17 PM by Wulf
Can anyone advise which Pendraken range would be contemporary with Leonardo da Vinci's armoured car? It's a period I'm almost entirely ignorant of... I've 3d printed one, and want to display it with a couple of figures. Hopefully there's a command pack or something with both foot and mounted figures.

I have no idea of the intended size of this thing, I printed it with 10mm long cannons, which sounded decent for compatibility with PD minis, but on looking at it, there's barely room in there for a handful of crew, with 12 cannon and the cranks to move it...

steve_holmes_11

Have a look at soldiers from the Italian Wars until around 1526.

As for the size of the thing, Westmarcher and I were discussing that very subject last week.

We concluded that DaVinci's sketches were there to illustrate mechanism and function - but not practical implementation.
This can be supported by the incorrectly oriented cranks in the exploded view of the "tank".

There are various other impracticalities: The cannon being located in the lower deck, the place where the wheels, cranks and cranksmen would be located.

A practical implementation would likely require 2 or 3 decks.
The bigger it gets, the heavier it gets, but the internal volume increases faster than the weight.
It certainly appears almost impossible to move - if the walls are thick enough to offer some protection.

I have one which I'm attempting to integrate into my Italian armies.
I may ever organise a loan to the Knights of St John.
In my case, it is powered by magic, and Leonardo can also be fielded as a minor wizard, with great mechanical repair ability.

Wulf

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 05 November 2019, 09:50:52 PM
Have a look at soldiers from the Italian Wars until around 1526.
I don't see an 'Italian wars' range on the PD website, which minis are those?

Ithoriel

I'd go with "Early 16th C. English/Scots" in the Renaissance section, Wulf, particularly the English. Some of the Landsknechts might do too but with no pics yet it's hard to be sure which.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Hi Wulf

Just looked this up and found "The machine was designed while Leonardo da Vinci was under the patronage of Ludovico Sforza in 1487"

The Italian wars were started in 1494 (Early Ones) and continues on and off until 1520's and possibly later.

So a few typical Italian Renaissance figures would work with it. You don't say what scale the tank is.

If its 10mm the best I can see

ER6
ER10
ER11
ER12
ER29 - You really need Italian armoured mounted figures, but nothing I can see in Pendraken range
ER30 - You really need Italian armoured mounted figures, but nothing I can see in Pendraken range

The Landsknecht range would do as well
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Wulf

Quote from: Orcs on 05 November 2019, 10:43:28 PM
So a few typical Italian Renaissance figures would work with it. You don't say what scale the tank is.

I intend to use a few Pendraken figures, so I'll call it 10mm scale & figure out what size it should be later...  :)
QuoteER6
ER10
ER11
ER12
ER29 - You really need Italian armoured mounted figures, but nothing I can see in Pendraken range
ER30 - You really need Italian armoured mounted figures, but nothing I can see in Pendraken range

Nice, thanks. I thought the Landsknechts were the right period, but have no idea if they look like Italians of the same period, and I still don't as there are no pics...

That's a good selection, thanks!

Wulf

Quote from: Ithoriel on 05 November 2019, 10:26:19 PM
I'd go with "Early 16th C. English/Scots" in the Renaissance section, Wulf, particularly the English. Some of the Landsknechts might do too but with no pics yet it's hard to be sure which.
Thanks!

Orcs

Just had a further nose around.

A good source of what Italian renaissance figure pictures is the Perry websites . I have copied some of the pictures

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_64&osCsid=sgaasnd86lndcgcv502630a513

The plastic Mercenaries box is also similar period figures

Hope this helps
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Wulf

Nice, that'll be my painting guide  :D

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 05 November 2019, 10:43:28 PM
Hi Wulf

Just looked this up and found "The machine was designed while Leonardo da Vinci was under the patronage of Ludovico Sforza in 1487"

The Italian wars were started in 1494 (Early Ones) and continues on and off until 1520's and possibly later.

ER6
ER10
ER11
ER12

Sorry for missing this.

Alternative Armies make a resin Leonardo tank in 15mm as part of their Altuos renaissance range.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-renaissance-altuos-range/products/hot101-da-vinci-tank

I expressed some doubts about its intended size in an earlier post.

The reconstruction here (2 mins 50)  seems impractically small (Cranks at ankle height with the guns crowded into the power plant space.

If you prefer a lumbering land galleass scaled tank, then I think the 15mm tank would work well with 10mm figures.