Two Dioramas Started

Started by Terry37, 05 November 2019, 04:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

I have been sort of commissioned, for lack of a better term, to do two dioramas, but there is no fee involved as it is a project of true friendship. Both are for my author friend Nick, with scenes taken from his very popular Extinction Cycle series. One I am doing, a smaller one than the first I did. The second is a joint effort with a very dear friend of Nick's. On this one I will be doing the actual model, and Nathan will be doing the electronics - this one takes place aboard a naval vessel, and is set in an autopsy/lab. The fun part of this one is that in the story one of the researchers is Nathan by name, and he is about to be melted by the acid from inside the Variant (post apocalyptic creature). Yeah a bit yucky, but I'm depicting it prior to the actual melt down, or really just as it started with smoke rising from the point of contact. Not one for doing gory stuff at all. Anyway, in the book a siren sounds and a warning light starts flashing, so we'll have those features as working devices, but don't ask me how because my expertise with electricity starts with being able to operate most light switches and ends with a general knowledge of changing a light bulb!!!! That is Nathan's area of expertise! he's already started building the control board and sent me a picture, and it looks like very high techy type stuff to me with little do-dads here and there and some wires????? Oh, and the variant in the Nathan dio is a Pendraken alien that is working perfectly as the specimen they were doing the autopsy on is a juvenile and only 4 feet tall. Don't be put off about it being a juvenile as they are more advanced than the first wave of Variants and are extremely deadly!

So far I have cleaned the figures, made the necessary conversions and just primed them a few minutes ago. I'll take a picture in the AM and will also start painting them. I'll try to keep a running progress report as it advances, and again, Nick is not aware of these, so it will be fun  to surprise him.

More soon,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

FierceKitty

Lotsa pix are implicitly promised here, am I right?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Sounds interesting, really looking forward to seeing these develop :) :) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Here are the pictures of the figures for the two dioramas. The first two are for Nick and will depict the two main characters facing a horde of Variants coming at them after crashing through a store front window. The Alpha/leader is called The Bone  Collector due to his wearing skeleton bones. they look pretty rough right now, but hopefully they'll look better after they are painted.

These figures are for the joint effort diorama with Nathan. The figure for Nathan is not shown as I cannot pose him until I get Lucy placed on hte autopsy table, so he'll be done later.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Techno

Looking forward to watching these progress, Terry. :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Quote from: Techno on 06 November 2019, 08:07:40 AM
Looking forward to watching these progress, Terry. :)

Cheers - Phil

Ditto!
Sleep with clean hands ...

Terry37

Have made some progress. Not overly pleased with the Variants, but am not sure fiddling with them further will add anything, so for now, I am taking a break from them.

Sorry this one is a bit blurred, better one next time.

No shading or detailing done on these yet.

More to follow,

Terry

paulr

Shading and detailing will lift the Variants, taking a break from them makes a lot of sense :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Coming along nicely, Terry. :)

It's always great to see how figures progress, 'Stage by stage'.

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

Terry37

Sorry I've not been posting, and can only say that my time is not my own of late, being busy closing out the TN State Cowboy Shooting Match - which I finally put to bed Yesterday. And also, the HOTT International tournament I run, which is still active. And, being honest wanted to wait until my new prescription glasses came in so I could do a better job modeling and painting. They are here so am hoping to get back to spreading some paint again!!!

Terry

paulr

Sounds like you have been keeping pretty busy ;)