Finishing the Korean War range

Started by sultanbev, 04 November 2019, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

I notice that anti-tank teams first that are missing from the range, and holding back sales perhaps. Not much point in a customer starting a new army if you can't get the basic company & battalion TOE weapons. I am sure they were put in the original list that was compiled when the range was started, but as a reminder:
Chinese PTRD41 team
Chinese 57mm Type 36 RCL team (M18 copy)
Chinese Type 51 3.5" Bazooka teams (from 1951, copy of US M20)
Some Chinese cavalry would be nice for the recce units too.

North Korean PTRD41 team
North Korean 12.7mm AAHMG team

South Korean 57mm M18 RCL team
South Korean 3.5" M20 bazooka team
South Korean 2.36" bazooka team

Also, their most common heavy weapon, the 60mm mortar, appears to be missing from both Chinese and North Korean armies. Although I guess people can request subsitutions on ordering 82mm mortars, using the WW2 French or South Korean 60mm mortar.
It is because of these omissions I never started making 1950s North Korean and Chinese armies.  :(

Mark

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I used Soviet at rifles, okay, they're wearing skid lids, but that's fine...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Quote from: mad lemmey on 04 November 2019, 07:59:42 PM
I used Soviet at rifles, okay, they're wearing skid lids, but that's fine...

Or,you saw off the Soviet A/T from SVF6,  saw cut the rifle from KNK8 and add the A/T rifle with a dob of superglue. 

I use WW2 range marines for Bazooka.  MC18 is a very useful figure. He is wearing a field cap and with a paint job can provide a range of Proxy.  I have also done headswaps with Brit helmet. 

For the type 36 RCL use the US one as ask Leon to supply with Chinese crew.

The 12.7 Dshkm in AA mount  is available in Vietnam range (VC5) just a Korean crew.

We do need the M/C sidecar units.  But these will come in the fullness of time. :)

Sunray

A bigger handicap to playing Korea, is a set of BKC rules that work for the era.

The kit is still 95% WW2, the Sherman values need revised - with a regular crew it matched the T34/85

Leon and I had discussed a download supplement.  Is this still a viable option?

sultanbev

" with a regular crew it matched the T34/85 "
mainly because 76mm HVAP ammunition was pretty much standard by then. Even without, the standard 76mm APCBC round could penetrate a T-34/85 at most battlefield ranges.
Looking at the BKC-IV stats, both are A/T 4/80, both on 5s to save, the Sherman having 4 hits, the T-34/85 having 5. Given that on average CV8 or Cv9 Americans are going to shoot more often than your CV7 North Koreans, I'd judge that equally matched.
Any WW2 rules should be able to cope with the Korean war. The highest tech you're having to fit in is the 20pdr on the Centurion, and some jet fighters.

Your main issue is replicating the terrain, just looking at google earth shows sighting ranges of 900m or less being common between ridges, which were often steep and difficult to access. This is more a wargames tabletop layout problem than a rules problem.

Mark

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Sunray on 05 November 2019, 08:38:53 AM
A bigger handicap to playing Korea, is a set of BKC rules that work for the era.

The kit is still 95% WW2, the Sherman values need revised - with a regular crew it matched the T34/85

Leon and I had discussed a download supplement.  Is this still a viable option?

I certainly hope so !! Watch this space.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Cold Steel

We also need Chinese summer and winter:
Maxim w/ Crew
Sappers with satchel charges and pole charges

Mako

Would love to see the 3.5" Bazooka with a US M-1 helmet, in both kneeling and prone poses, for the USA and other Korean era and Cold War nations - Danish and West German armies, plus many others, I suspect, including those in South America, and the various African conflicts.

Same goes for the kneeling WWII US Marine in cap, firing a bazooka - would like to see a head swap with M-1 helmet for him, so he can be used for the US Army, Danes, and others, who no doubt used the smaller 2.36" bazookas too, after WWII and throughout the 1950s and beyond. 

I doubt I have the skills to do head swaps in this small scale.