Elizabethan Irish expansion released!

Started by Leon, 03 November 2019, 11:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

04 November 2019, 02:54:57 PM #15 Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 02:58:14 PM by FierceKitty
I was in Bayeux at last a few months ago; distinctly heard several visitors in the obvious display room say "That's fantastic". So late dark ages IS a fantasy range. QED.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Raider4

Yeah, well, I'll accept the tapestry as a primary source, not so much the cosplayer . . .

d_Guy

The Bonnacht with ax is based on a circa 1590 woodcut. The hafts seemed to have typically been 6' to 7'. The ax-head is more robust than the prototypes. Likely they can be trimmed a bit during cleanup (not that I'll do that  :) )
I recently read that English brown bills were hafted at 10'   :o !  F=MA. Billmen, working in combination, could apparently take down a knight in full plate harness with three or four powerful swings.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 November 2019, 03:25:29 PM
Yeah, well, I'll accept the tapestry as a primary source, not so much the cosplayer . . .

Re-enactors, as a group, tend to be pretty good on details of kit, in my experience.

Considerably better than some supposed experts, I'd say.

That said, like many wargamers, they do like to focus on the spectacular rather than the mundane, at times.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Cool, great to see these.

I was just painting a few kerns and demi-lancers over the weekend.

Really like the Gallowglass figures - unfortunately I have loads of bases of these painted already, but I might be able to squeeze in a couple more. The Irish pike and shot figures will be very useful and more kerns and bonachts are always good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 November 2019, 01:14:07 PM
Close, it's Martyn.
Yes, I get that. It's just the length of the shaft, not the size of the head that's troubling me. Wouldn't a shorter shaft make it easier to cast?
Cheers, M.--

It certainly would, Martyn. :)

But, from memory, (PAH !  X_X).....The image Bill (d_Guy) sent me for this particular chap had a very long shafted axe......Very much like the images Mike (Ithoriel) has posted.

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

If you have a wood fire / wood burner and split your own logs you quickly learn to appreciate a long shaft on your axe.  Yes its more unwieldy, but the more practice you have the more accurate you become with it.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

Ordered! Managed to add some gallowglass to the order.  ;)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 04 November 2019, 08:06:41 PM
If you have a wood fire / wood burner and split your own logs you quickly learn to appreciate a long shaft on your axe.  Yes its more unwieldy, but the more practice you have the more accurate you become with it.

Even me ?  :o

I can't use one of the long shafted axes anymore. It hurts my shoulders trying to split ash logs....Just about OK on pine...But ash....Forget it.
We've got a small pneumatic log splitter now....Though that's thrown logs at me.

There was a feature on the news, a couple of days ago....Something along the lines of 'The world log splitting championships'.

Stroll on, they were SO quick....standing on the logs to hack at a point between their feet, until they were all but through.....I'd split one of my shin bones if I tried that. X_X

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Dammit! They look like they could fit into a Scottish army ... couldn't they?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

06 November 2019, 03:42:44 AM #26 Last Edit: 06 November 2019, 03:48:24 AM by Heedless Horseman
As a thought:
Kerns and, with some work, Bonnachts, (axe to club, sword to ??? maybe spear with drilling?)...would be  very good pieces for N European Bronze Age/Late Neolithic.  :)
I bought some fantasy range figs...(years ago, now!)...but have never got round to attempting to convert anything...as usual! :(  Think the fantasy figs will be larger, though, but These might be more realistic!  8)

For skirmish scenarios...defend your crannog/hunting grounds/Henge...this could be very enjoyable...tactical but with 1 to 1 combat as the 'forces' would be small.

Archers/slingers/command from other periods...esp. Picts/Scots...fair bit of choice!

My IMAGINARY take on this period would be a definitely non-pastoral mix of Border Reiver/American Indian/(Celtic) Ireland...with feuds/cattle or slave raids/religious disputes...or just for the hell of it! Whateveer takes your fancy...no-one 'Knows'...there was a LOT of time for events to occur...and people haven't changed much!  :( ;) :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

d_Guy

I wonder, has any one here played the skirmish rules, "Tribal"? I have played a few games based on the "Cattle Raid of Cooley" and "Prince Valiant  vs  the Skraeling.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Guy, I have "Tribal" and "Primeval" and a pile of part painted or entirely unpainted Early Homo Sapiens, Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Denisova, Homo Heidelbergensis and assorted fauna.

A short campaign pitting my Homo Heidelbergensis tribe against a tribe of Neanderthals and one of early Homo Sapiens was lots of fun ... and showed why Heidelbergensis are extinct :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

06 November 2019, 04:07:47 PM #29 Last Edit: 06 November 2019, 04:16:15 PM by FierceKitty
Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 November 2019, 03:30:24 PM
Guy, I have "Tribal" and "Primeval" and a pile of part painted or entirely unpainted Early Homo Sapiens, Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Denisova, Homo Heidelbergensis and assorted fauna.

A short campaign pitting my Homo Heidelbergensis tribe against a tribe of Neanderthals and one of early Homo Sapiens was lots of fun ... and showed why Heidelbergensis are extinct :D

"Ogg forget bring dice again? Gorak eat all wine gums herself? Naknak not read rulebook after go home early on Friday to learn how read? Fil make hole in own foot with spear? Why I turn down job offer in Gondwanaland and stay chief this tribe losers?"
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.