Napolionic Russian

Started by YORSTONS, 03 November 2019, 09:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YORSTONS

Good evening,
Are there any plans to re model and increase the Russian range.
Thanks
Steve.

Leon

No plans at the moment I'm afraid, next up on the Naps schedule will be the Peninsular ranges.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

MooseDontBounce

Leon:
Very happy for the Penninsular range.  Been wanting to do that theater plus I can use those British for some of my Prussian reserve regiments.  Add my second vote my Russians too.

Dale

Not Drowning, Waving

Another vote for Nap Russians. Should be easy to do as there are very few uniform differences with infantry, basic variables are plume/no plume greatcoat/no greatcoat.

Leon are you sure you couldn't sneak in 4 sculpts in between some of those other projects? Happy to supply the artwork if that assists.

Leon

Quote from: LetsPartyWithCossacks on 04 November 2019, 10:04:53 PM
Another vote for Nap Russians. Should be easy to do as there are very few uniform differences with infantry, basic variables are plume/no plume greatcoat/no greatcoat.

Leon are you sure you couldn't sneak in 4 sculpts in between some of those other projects? Happy to supply the artwork if that assists.

I don't think 4 sculpts would be quite enough!  If we're going to do Russians then we'd want to do them properly and devote a few months of sculpting to it.  Once the Peninsular is done, it seems that Russians will be the next thing to look at!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Zippee

Not forgetting that asking for "Russians" without further definition is misleading.

Not everyone wants vulgar post 1811 scuttle wearing infantry and razorcut-plumeless cavalry. Some of us prefer the more splendorously equipped gentlemen with bush plumes and a full head of hair on the helmet. Still others will want some kind of Potemkin nonsense.

So when asking for Russians be clear what you you're asking for

That siad they're not huge ranges - Jager, Grenadier, Musketeer; Hussar, Uhlan, Dragoon, Cuirassier; Horse & Foot artillery; Cossack & Opalchenie

Not Drowning, Waving

If by scuttle wearing infantry you mean the kiewer, then there is considerable doubt as to whether it was ever worn by Russian infantry 1812-14.  The shako was certainly worn at that time and was worn earlier still, thus having the advantage of spanning a wide time period  (in 10mm the shako variations of earlier shakos are not that obvious).  As everyone in other scales does them in Kiewer, the dreaded thing should probably be added.  Oh and infantry in formal headdress, formal headdress in oilskin, forage cap, and bear headed, each with greatcoat variation.

You are of course right that the Grenadier plumes do change significantly.  If the shako is kept, then the change is only the plume size.  A similar issue for Dragoons and Cuirassier with their caterpillar combs being reduced to brushes.  Pavlov Grenadiers are essential.

Zippee I think the Guard Cossacks would be a must - you can use them for Ukranian Cossacks (possibly even the St Petersberg Opolchenie cavalry which had fur caps with cords) and more spectacularly for the later Prussian Guard Cossacks.  Hussars would need front rank lancers and second rank sabres. 

Ideally Opolochenie would be foot with pike, musket and some with spear head fastened to muskets without barrels.  There are however more than 10 regional variations, but perhaps 4 might do initially.  Oh and horse.  Cossacks should span the three basic types Don, Bug and Ural, and ideally some irregular as well. 

A good range of staff is essential too. A seated portly Kutuzov would be nice.  Command should be both in shako and in bicorne (worn late, especially for Opolochenie command, when retired officers were pressed into service).

Lastly Bashkir, Tartar and Kalmuk.  Spear and bow.

Leon is that really more than 4 already?

mollinary

Quote from: LetsPartyWithCossacks on 11 November 2019, 09:16:31 AM

1812-14.  Oh and infantry in formal headdress, formal headdress in oilskin, forage cap, and bear headed, each with greatcoat variation.

I too would love to see 'bear headed' Russians, even if they could be described as a bit stereotypical!    ;) ;)
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

And Muscovite militia pikemen. And a few extras from Tolstoy.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mollinary

11 November 2019, 12:40:39 PM #9 Last Edit: 11 November 2019, 02:05:50 PM by mollinary
Quote from: FierceKitty on 11 November 2019, 12:23:06 PM
And Muscovite militia pikemen. And a few extras from Tolstoy.

Aren't those the same as Opolchenie?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Dunno. Russkies aren't my strong suit.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Not Drowning, Waving

Russian Bear headed!  Almost a Freudian slit, to quote the great John Cleese...

dimmy

Another vote too for Nap Russians. The new range could be funded as it has been done for the "Not-Kickstarter" 1809 range.
And it could be use for 1812-1813 campaign.

sultanbev

"I don't think 4 sculpts would be quite enough!  "

Indeed, on another thread somewhere I worked out you'd need three different musketeer figures alone (variations in hats and packs) just for the 1809 era.

But yes, another vote for Russians!