Saladin and Saracen released!

Started by Leon, 01 November 2019, 10:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Some new releases for the modern gamers now with the Saladin and Saracen armoured cars now available!   These were both in production from the early 1950's through to the 1990's and were used by a variety of countries across the world, with some of them still in active use today.  From Africa, Yom Kippur, Northern Ireland and the Gulf War, there's a whole list of games/conflicts that will find a home for these!

Modern
Vehicles - https://pendraken.co.uk/modern/vehicles/
MDV71   FV601 Saladin     £2.95
MDV72   FV603 Saracen     £2.95

And the usual pics:

MDV71 - Saladin

MDV72 - Saracen
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Not Drowning, Waving

For a moment I thought there might finally be some Mameluke proxies available. Then I took my Napoleonic blinkers of and saw the real world. I have quickly put them back on again...

FierceKitty

Quote from: LetsPartyWithCossacks on 02 November 2019, 12:08:44 AM
For a moment I thought there might finally be some Mameluke proxies available. Then I took my Napoleonic blinkers off and saw the real world. I have quickly put them back on again...

Not crusades, alas.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

fsn

Them's pretty!  =P~ =P~ =P~

If only there were a big, beautiful, hunk of armour that could go with them ... oh wait! There is!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

That makes my day!  :) :)

Order on its way today.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 02 November 2019, 08:45:13 AM
If only there were a big, beautiful, hunk of armour that could go with them ... oh wait! There is!

No there aint, there be an obsolete tank, cent something, WE WANT Chieftains 
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Heedless Horseman

Nice!  :) Always thought the Saladin was how a heavy armoured car 'should' look!  8) The Saracen...maybe not  ;D ...but I remember convoys of the things passing through en-route to Otterburn Ranges. Oh lord...also remember TA arty convoys with towed 25pdrs!  :'(
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Sunray

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 03 November 2019, 01:39:48 AM
Nice!  :) Always thought the Saladin was how a heavy armoured car 'should' look!  8) The Saracen...maybe not  ;D ...but I remember convoys of the things passing through en-route to Otterburn Ranges. Oh lord...also remember TA arty convoys with towed 25pdrs!  :'(

In terms of "heavy" AC, how effective was the 76mm gun?   Could it engage a Soviet T34 or T54 ?

The little Panhard packed a 90mm on a body not a lot larger than a ferret.

A version of the  76mm was retained in the Scorpion, yet on export both benefited  from retro fitting of a 90mm. 

Well when Syria invaded Jordan, many years ago a Saladin took out 2-3 T54/5. Hesh rounds are very nasty things. By the early 90's it was not much good, so the Scorpions were refited with Fox turrets.

In period the gun was good enough. There are some oddities - for instance the FGR border police used Saladin's with no MG's.

WE also need Ferrets - Mk 4 and Mk 4 with Vigilant, a "Saldin" troop had 2 heavys, 1 or 2 standard ferrets, or 1 ferret with a pair of Vigilants on the turret, and 2 more stowed in place of one of the spare wheels.

IanS

Techno

Was the Saracen around in the late 50's, early 60's ?

I vaguely remember having a Dinky Toy that resembled that one. (False memory syndrome ?)

Cheers - Phil

Mid 50's, as the Malayan emergency needed APC's - there are 4 vehicles in the family - the two released, the rather inflamable Stalwart (used as a limber for the artillery !!) and the Salamnder fire engine for the RAF. Saladin was considerably delayed by priority being given to Saracen. Also there are lots and  lots variants of Saracen, raised roof command ones, open topped ones, and radar vehicles.

They lasted til the early 80's and were replaced by Saxons, mainly for Northern Ireland.

IanS

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 November 2019, 10:38:53 AM
Well when Syria invaded Jordan, many years ago a Saladin took out 2-3 T54/5. Hesh rounds are very nasty things. By the early 90's it was not much good, so the Scorpions were refited with Fox turrets.

In period the gun was good enough. There are some oddities - for instance the FGR border police used Saladin's with no MG's.

WE also need Ferrets - Mk 4 and Mk 4 with Vigilant, a "Saldin" troop had 2 heavys, 1 or 2 standard ferrets, or 1 ferret with a pair of Vigilants on the turret, and 2 more stowed in place of one of the spare wheels.

IanS

Thanks Ian.  Yes the HESH was effective in the days of conventional armour. 

Leon

03 November 2019, 11:04:15 PM #14 Last Edit: 03 November 2019, 11:06:42 PM by Leon
Quote from: ianrs54 on 02 November 2019, 01:02:26 PM
...WE WANT Chieftains  

Item 3 on Martin's schedule:

1. Saladin/Saracen - DONE!
2. Trucks -
US - M35
UK - Bedford RL
Russia - ZIL 131
3. MBT's -
UK - Chieftain
    - FV432
Russian - T-64
Germany - Leopard I
France - AMX-30

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 November 2019, 10:38:53 AM
WE also need Ferrets - Mk 4 and Mk 4 with Vigilant...

No plans for further Ferrets at the moment, the Mk 1/2 in the catalogue will have to serve as a proxy for the timebeing!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!