Saladin and Saracen released!

Started by Leon, 01 November 2019, 10:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Saladins and Saracens ordered,  processed and paid.  Thank you Leon !

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 03 November 2019, 11:04:15 PM
Item 3 on Martin's schedule:

1. Saladin/Saracen - DONE!
2. Trucks -
US - M35
UK - Bedford RL
Russia - ZIL 131
3. MBT's -
UK - Chieftain
    - FV432
Russian - T-64
Germany - Leopard I
France - AMX-30

Oh, my! (Goes all giddy and needs to sit down)

If you would just make variants of the Korean figures currently in bush hats with berets instead I think I'd explode with happiness :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

If you would just make variants of the Korean figures currently in bush hats with berets instead I think I'd explode with happiness :)

When the budget is generated from sales, there are a few figures in that range, I would revisit.

Berets would have a wide proxy application, and the officers need SMGs instead of Mk4 rifles.

sultanbev

"When the budget is generated from sales, there are a few figures in that range, I would revisit. "
I'd prefer you do the Chinese and North Korean anti-tank teams first that are missing from the range, and holding back sales perhaps. Not much point in a customer starting a new army if you can't get the basic company & battalion TOE weapons. I am sure they were put in the original list that was compiled when the range was started, but as a reminder:
Chinese PTRD41 team
Chinese 57mm Type 36 RCL team (M18 copy)
Chinese Type 51 3.5" Bazooka teams (from 1951, copy of US M20)
Some Chinese cavalry would be nice for the recce units too.

North Korean PTRD41 team
North Korean 12.7mm AAHMG team

South Korean 57mm M18 RCL team
South Korean 3.5" M20 bazooka team
South Korean 2.36" bazooka team

Also, their most common heavy weapon, the 60mm mortar, appears to be missing from both Chinese and North Korean armies. Although I guess people can request subsitutions on ordering 82mm mortars, using the WW2 French or South Korean 60mm mortar.
It is because of these omissions I never started making 1950s North Korean and Chinese armies.  :(

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 04 November 2019, 10:16:24 AM
Which Leo 1, the 1A1 or 1A3/4

If it's just the different turret then we'll be doing both.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

There are 3 - the original dome A1 and A2, the rectangular one with spaced armour A3 and A4, and one which the uparmoured dome the 1A1.
Also if the Saracen turret is separate then you have done the ferret turret.

ianS

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 04 November 2019, 04:10:09 PM
There are 3 - the original dome A1 and A2, the rectangular one with spaced armour A3 and A4, and one which the uparmoured dome the 1A1.
Also if the Saracen turret is separate then you have done the ferret turret.

It'll be at least the A1/A2 and A3/A4 turrets, but knowing Mart probably all 3!  I'll have a look at that Saracen turret as I'd not realised it was the same one from the Ferret.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Saladin and Saracen troops have arrived.  Thanks Leon!  :)

Quote from: Sunray on 04 November 2019, 10:45:05 AM
Berets would have a wide proxy application, and the officers need SMGs instead of Mk4 rifles.

No they dont, STENs and Strilongs were mostly discarded in front line infantry units for No 4 rifles or later SLR's as being both lacking in stopping power and a dead give away to snipers.

IanS

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 November 2019, 11:17:33 AM
No they dont, STENs and Strilongs were mostly discarded in front line infantry units for No 4 rifles or later SLR's as being both lacking in stopping power and a dead give away to snipers.

IanS

No Ian.  It depended on the deployment.  When we deployed first on Operation Banner, SMGs (Stirlings) were the universal issue.  They were withdrawn by 1976 due to the PIRA sniper factor and the accuracy issue in an "aid to civil power" scenario.  Back in BAOR the SMGs were again issued up until the early 1980s.
In the Battle of Goose Green, H Jones carried a Stirling SMG when he won his  VC.

I can give you loads of photos for NCOs, R/Os and Officers packing SMGs for policing actions in Cyprus, Aden, Malaya and Kenya.   Personally I preferred the SLR, as it kept the logistics simple.

But have seen No1 on the Charlie G carrying an SLR, and there is that film of the Radio OP following his officer around a field - he has full kit with an SLR, the officer in that case has a sterling. WO's and Field officers may have carried Sterling's, but very few platoon officers would have, and it goes back to WWII as well, read MacDonlad Fraser "Quartered Safe out Here".

It's not official but common practice.

IanS

Sunray

09 November 2019, 05:00:27 PM #27 Last Edit: 09 November 2019, 05:02:09 PM by Sunray
The answer as I said depended on (a) deployment, (b) a personal choice by those who had the rank/sway  to be allowed a choice, and (c) the "culture" of the unit.

In Dofar the ranges in the killing ground tended to be 200 meters +, so the flat shooting SRL was a universal choice.
In BAOR I have seen the Milan man portable (sic) missile team all packing SLRs.  They were Grenadier Guards.  :)  Their officers swanned around with SMGs.
It was not until the Falklands that Warminster School of Infantry began to appreciate the amount of ball needed when supressing a modern enemy. dug in with GPMGs.  
The heresy  prompted by Operation Banner was  to send a man on patrol with 20 operational rounds.  Yes, it made the SLR a light load, but it fed the myth that 80 was sufficient for a `1980s firefight  that might drag on for 12 hours.  

In the day of Gun Group and Rifle Group,  I would argue that there was an acceptance that the SMG gave light suppressive fire in CQB situations.    If your are fired  at by a puny 9mm up to 50 yards away, you will take cover.  That allows debuss and engagement.

It was thus in Northern Ireland until the Yellow Card changed the goal posts.

But the real reason - it was light and handy.  

Orcs

Quote from: sultanbev on 04 November 2019, 12:59:03 PM

South Korean 3.5" M20 bazooka team
South Korean 2.36" bazooka team

In view of the production costs involved is their really a need for both types of bazooka.  In 10mm the barrel diameter difference is less that 0.2mm , and the M20 had a slightly more flared muzzle?  Hard enough to see the difference at 6 inches with a magnifying glass, and I would say impossible at 3 feet.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ben Waterhouse

I was waving a Small Metal Gun around both in the Int Corps and HAC 1978-85
Arma Pacis Fulcra