GridGame

Started by GridGame, 29 October 2019, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GridGame

Me:

Retired, married. Live in Greater Manchester.
Day to day life is being a Charity trustee and weekend volunteer, also helping with a community project (Dementia and Age support) & and a very 'needy' cat.

Wargaming - then:

Wargamed when in secondary education. Found my niche with 6 mm Napoleonic Russians using WRG rules.
I had tended to lose interest as I was the whipping-boy. Until I bought the Russians I had no armies of my own and so always fought with a 'loaner'. With a constant switch to what army I was lent and rules to be used: well 'win' was what my opponent did!

Wargaming – now:

Searching the web I came across the OHW. By proportionally reducing the facings I was wargaming on a 300 x 300 mm board. Armies were card counters. Not happy with the weapon / troop capability / variation I wrote my own rules, (but based on OHW concepts).

Next buy armies: Pendraken was selected: Romans, Ancient Spanish, Carthaginian, Gaul. – but as yet not all figures painted. (And later to be joined by Persians & Greeks).

Next Sudan '82-'85. Generated my own rules, which owe much to OHW and Portable Wargames (PW) as this set of rules is for square grid.
Pendraken miniatures and majority of figures painted and based.

And most recently ECW.
Based on sets of PW type rules found on-line I have generated my own rules in which I hope I have biased troop ability to pre 1645.
Figures: Pendraken – purchased at FIASCO 2019. (Currently the units are card markers).

All the above give me a solo game which can last up to an hour. However the setting up can take up to 30 minutes.
Ancients: dice for which OHW scenario, dice for which armies are to fight & then the composition of those armies.
Sudan: only real decision is which infantry units for the Imperial army.
ECW: dice for armies compositions and then the competence level of those units, dice for terrain,

Short solo games work for me due to many demands on my time which means needing great flexibility for my dairy.

FierceKitty

I like your range of armies. Welcome aboard.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

Welcome to the forum, I think card armies is a great way to feeling your way into how your figures should be based and configured. I think there will be a lot of interest in following how your games / rules / armies develop.

Techno

A very warm welcome !

Cheers - Phil.

petercooman

Welcome aboard!

Finished the punic war armies myself in the beginning of the year, great choice of minis!

FierceKitty

You know you want Hellenistics, Thracians, Scythians, Numidians, and Indians....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Welcome on board and some nice ideas there for your games. I've just ordered the following, which is grid based and looks interesting, so might be worth your while perusing them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ur-Human-Tabletop-conflict-Mesopotamia/dp/1699824924/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=to+ur+is+human&qid=1572348344&sr=8-2

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Welcome to the Forum!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Westmarcher

A warm welcome from me, too.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Welcome to the forum, 

Good to see you have a lead pile.  It is a well known and accepted fact that to thrive Wargamers need at least their on bodyweight in unpainted Lead, resin and Plastic.

Leon is the unrepentant supplier if addictive substances ,(although He does not yet have a blacked out BMW) so you are in the right place.

The Forum is generally full of good ideas help and suggestions.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Welcome to the forum, GridGame!

Quote from: Steve J on 29 October 2019, 11:27:05 AM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ur-Human-Tabletop-conflict-Mesopotamia/dp/1699824924/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=to+ur+is+human&qid=1572348344&sr=8-2

Argh! I need that like I need a hole in the head. But now that I know it exists, and with an Amazon gift card laying close by . . . Curse you, Steve J!

Quote from: Orcs on 29 October 2019, 04:17:50 PM
The Forum is generally full of good ideas help and suggestions.

And occasionally very silly silliness. It usually passes after a day or two.