Bank letter scam.

Started by Techno, 29 October 2019, 09:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

But at least in those days when I posted on this forum I instantly had my number of posts increased!  Still, those Caligae do good service, and, if I keep my nose clean, in another hundred years I will be a citizen, if there is anything left to be a citizen of.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Orcs

Here we go --- Cue Monty Pythonesque type comments
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: mollinary on 08 November 2019, 07:46:37 PM
When I started work, I was paid in salt, plus all the garum I could eat! Not that that was much.  :( :( still the caligae were hardwearing.......

Just as long as you didn't wear socks with them.  That would be wrong.

mollinary

Quote from: John Cook on 09 November 2019, 01:41:06 AM
Just as long as you didn't wear socks with them.  That would be wrong.

So wrong!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Surely that depends on the climate - snow were fallin earler in Birkenead !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mollinary

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 November 2019, 11:13:44 AM
Surely that depends on the climate - snow were fallin earler in Birkenead !

Sox is for nesh sutherners!

Ithoriel

Roman soldiers wore socks or footwraps with their caligae, in areas with inclement weather. Britannia, for example.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 November 2019, 05:44:34 PM
Roman soldiers wore socks or footwraps with their caligae, in areas with inclement weather. Britannia, for example.

Please don't confuse a perfectly respectable exchange of nonsense with inconvenient facts!   :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Orcs

There is  retired chap near us who wears a Suit with short trousers and knee length socks and sandals in war weather  it does look rather odd. Particularly as the suit is Sky blue
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

Quote from: Orcs on 09 November 2019, 07:50:06 PM
. . . in war weather . . .

Must look out for that on the forecasts. Sounds like something to avoid . . .

FierceKitty

For those who remember the Van Der Merwe joke (he's an Afrikaaner unencumbered by too much intelligence and very set in his ways).

Writing home from holiday in Canada:

******, it's cold here! I'm wearing two safari suits!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 November 2019, 05:44:34 PM

Alfred Wainwright, who was something of expert on 'up north, had a view about "unsuitable clothing".  I am sure he would take the view that sandals and socks are unsuitable in any circumstances, particularly in inclement weather.  

FierceKitty

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 November 2019, 02:40:30 PM
In my student days in the 80s I opened an account at NewWest, innocent little colonial that I was. I soon came to see my mistake.

Errr...NatWest, that should have been.

Techno

"I soon came to see my mistake."

No you didn't...It took you oodles of posts to spot that.

I read the original as Natwest, anyway. ;D ;D

Anyway.....I keep telling our postie that it's illegal to wear shorts and sandals, once the temperature drops below 5 degrees Centigrade.
I can't understand why he wears shorts and sandals when it's cold....But long trousers in the hot weather. :o

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Go easy on someone who's trying to negotiate favourable armistice terms with senility!