On the Northern Shoulder of Kursk

Started by bigjackmac, 14 October 2019, 04:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 October 2019, 08:07:54 AM
It is good if you like sausages !
Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 October 2019, 06:11:10 AM
We are talking about Germany here, aren't we?

We go to the christmass markets in Aachen and Köln, never ate anything there i didn't like!

Always bring home gingerbread hearts as well!  :D

Womble67

I really enjoyed this battle report

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Well, thanks and enjoy your sausages, then!

And thanks, Andy!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

German Assault on Karpunevka

It's 0630 on 7 July 1943 in western Russia, where the I Battalion, Panzer Grenadier Regiment 101, 18th Panzer Division is carrying out an assault on Soviet defensive positions in and around the village of Snava (which is also a Soviet supply depot) held by elements of the 2nd Battalion, 676th Rifle Regiment, 15th Rifle Division. This is part of the German offensive to eliminate the Kursk salient, specifically on the northern shoulder of the bulge, as German forces push towards Ponyri.

I am playing this game because I have the good fortune of being buddies with Steve of the "Sound Officer's Call" blog (https://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2019/10/firestorm-ponyri-station-campaign-first.html), and he is running a "Firestorm Ponyri" campaign. He is playing some games with his local buddies, but was unable to play all of the games himself; rather than simply 'dice off' for results of campaign fights they were unable to play on the table top, Steve asked if anyone in the blogosphere wanted to help, so here I am.

It's been a little bit of an issue that I literally just sold off a bunch of German late war gear, so I'm a bit understrength, but Steve is working with me to make sure the fights I get match up with the forces I have. This is the first fight I've played, and I hope it wasn't too much a pain for him, I certainly want to keep going! First, I love to play games; second, it's been way too long since I've played any Eastern Front games (maybe eight years or so?); and lastly, I'm a solo gamer that still craves some comradery, so whenever I can help another wargamer out, I'm always quick to jump at it.

Overview, north is up.  There are a couple primitive roads, mostly running north-south, with a couple patches of heavy wood in the west (left), a large, man-made pond in the south (center bottom right), and the village of Snava in the east (right).  Other than that it's flat terrain covered in crop fields broken up by a few stands of trees, with over grown brush flanking them.  The brush provides limited concealment, but no cover, and does not block line of sight.  The buildings of Snava are stout stone structures, offering good cover.

The orders of battle:

Germans
Battalion Commander
1st Company (three rifle platoons of three rifle squads)
2nd Company (three rifle platoons of three rifle squads)
3rd Company (three rifle platoons of three rifle squads)
Schwere Company (MG platoon of four MG-42s, mortar platoon of four 8.0cm tubes, infantry gun platoon of two 7.5cm guns, and an anti-tank platoon of two PaK-38 5.0cm guns)
Panzer Platoon (five Pz IIIJ with long 50mm)
Battery of 10.5cm Artillery (off table)
Flight of Ju-87 Stuka dive bombers (off table)

Soviet
Battalion Commander
1st Company (three rifle platoons of three rifle squads)
2nd Rifle Company (three platoons of three rifle squads)
Anti-Tank Rifle Platoon (3 x PTRS-41s)
Anti-Tank Platoon (4 x 45mm ATGs)
Field Gun Platoon (3 x 76.2mm "crash-boom" guns)
MG Platoon (4 x Maxim .30-cal MGs)
Mortar Platoon (3 x 82mm mortars)
Tank Platoon (three T-34/76s)

I'm playing in 10mm (figures, vehicles, and gear a mix of Pendraken and Minifigs UK) based at one stand=one squad, weapon, or vehicle. I'm playing this game using Too Fat Lardies' "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" rules, simplified a bit in terms of combat, morale, and movement.

And again, this time with troops present.  The Germans are attacking from the north (top); at top left is their 2nd Company, and at top center right is 1st Company, with their Schwere Company spread between them.  The Soviets are dug-in to four strongpoints:
1) Strongpoint Marta (in woods at left center), where they have 1st Platoon, 1st Company (platoon commander, three rifle squads, a Maxim .30-cal MG, and a 45mm anti-tank gun)
2) Strongpoint Katarina (in stand of woods at bottom center), where they have 2nd Platoon (1st Company, same as 1st Plt)
3) Strongpoint Masha (top right), where they have 3rd Platoon, 1st Company (same as 1st Plt)
4) the village of Nava (right), where they have 1st Platoon, 2nd Company (same as 1st Plt, 1st Co), a platoon of three 76.2mm 'crash booms,' and just in front of them, a platoon of anti-tank rifles dug-in in an ambush position
The Soviets have a platoon of 82mm mortar platoon of a PC and three tubes.

The German Panzer Platoon will start off table but come on as soon as possible following the initial strikes by supporting fires. The Germans are holding their 3rd Company and AT Platoon off table, in reserve.  The Soviets are holding 2nd Platoon, 2nd Company, and their T-34 platoon carrying 3rd Platoon, 2nd Company, off table in reserve.

On the German left, Schwere Company elements (infantry guns, machine guns, and mortars, bottom left) attempt to shoot 1st Company (top left) into Strongpoint Masha (top center, with Snava at top right).

The Soviets (bottom left) try to rally the defenders of Strongpoint Masha as the Germans advance (top right).  This would be location of some of the most bitter, vicious fighting ever seen on a tabletop! ;)

Panzer IIIs advance under fire.

Though the Soviets had a rejoinder...

Of course, these really help.

[img width=600]To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/10/on-northern-shoulder-of-kursk-with_91.html

Well, that was a helluva fight!  I'm really loving how "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" is working out for these games, it's been a lot of fun.  I'd complain about how long they're taking, but, then again, it's kinda my fault: IABSM is designed to play reinforced company-sized games, but I'm playing battalion-sized games, so I really can't blame the rules.

I actually played two fights in Kursk this weekend, so stay tuned for the Soviet counterattack at Kastenwald!

V/R,
Jack

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

petercooman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

That's a big bloody scrap!

nice game!

pierre the shy

Great write up as always Jack  :-bd

Any chance you can share your "simplified house rule" modifications for IABSM here or on your blog please?
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoyed the batrep, it was a helluva fight, lots of fun!

Pierre, ask and ye shall receive!
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/12/i-aint-been-shot-mum-rules-tweaks.html

V/R,
Jack

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

All,

Soviet Counterattack on Kastenwald

It's 1430 on 7 July 1943 in western Russia, where the German 292nd Infanterie Division has been caught off guard by forward elements of the Soviet 57th Tank Brigade. The Germans rear echelon troops (supply, maintenance, training company, administrative, military police, walking wounded, etc...) stage into the nearby treeline to mount a hasty defense and their commanders flee in search of reinforcements, which had better hurry as everyone can hear the roar of T-34 engines!

I am playing this game because I have the good fortune of being buddies with Steve of the "Sound Officer's Call" blog (https://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2019/10/firestorm-ponyri-station-campaign-first.html), and he is running a "Firestorm Ponyri" campaign. He is playing some games with his local buddies, but was unable to play all of the games himself; rather than simply 'dice off' for results of campaign fights they were unable to play on the table top, Steve asked if anyone in the blogosphere wanted to help, so here I am.

Overview, north is up. The objective is the wood at center; there is a healthy hardball unimproved road network running throughout the area, with a small village present in the southwest (bottom left). Other than that it's manmade crop fields interspersed with a few stands of trees and untamed grassland.

This game is a bit smaller than the previous two; the first two were a reinforced German battalion vs a reinforced Soviet company or two.  This one is a Soviet reinforced Company vs a German reinforced platoon, which is actually what the rules are designed for, so went a lot quicker.  Also, there were no off-table reserves in this game, everything started on the table so I could get right at it.  Let me know if it was still a fun read.

The German defenders consist of their rifle platoon and weapons platoon dug-in on the west (left) side of Kastenwald (center), while their mobile force is coming from the northeast (top right).  The concept with the mobile force is that the local HQ Battalion Commander ran off to scrape together whatever reinforcements he could find, and this is what he's back with: a 'panzer' platoon of two Stugs and a Marder, and he flagged down three halftracks to carry all the rest of the clerks, bakers, and candlestick makers he could find, which amounts to another platoon of 'infantry.'  The Soviets have their infantry company maneuvering in from the southwest (bottom left), supported by their weapons platoon, while their tank company (with tank riders) are coming in from the northwest (top left).  The goal is to take/hold the wood.

Orders of battle:
German
Ersatz Infantry Platoon (PC and three rifle squads)
Ersatz Weapons Platoon (PC, two MG-42s, two 8.0cm mortars, and two PaK-38 5.0cm anti-tank guns)
Commanding Officer
Ersatz Mechanized Platoon (PC and three rifle squads in 3 Sdkfz 251 halftracks)
Ersatz Panzer Platoon (two Stug IIIG and one Marder PzJgr)
Off Table 120mm Mortar Platoon

Soviet
Rifle Company (-) two platoons of a PC and three rifle squads)
Weapons Platoon (PC and two Maxim .30-cal MGs, two 50mm mortars, and one 76.2mm 'crash boom' field gun)
Tank Company (-) (two platoons of three T-34s)
Tank Rider Company (-) (two platoons of a PC and three rifle squads)
Off Table 122mm Field Artillery Battery
Off Table 120mm Mortar Battery

I'm playing in 10mm (figures, vehicles, and gear a mix of Pendraken and Minifigs UK) based at one stand=one squad, weapon, or vehicle. I'm playing this game using Too Fat Lardies' "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" rules, simplified a bit in terms of combat, morale, and movement.

Soviet armor rolling forward.

And the German response.

The Soviet attack jumps off, with 1st Rifle Platoon moving forward (bottom center) and firing on the objective.

Soviet tanks deliver their tank riders onto the objective, and they charge straight into close combat.  Look what destruction the Soviet artillery has wrought on the objective!

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/10/on-northern-shoulder-of-kursk-with_27.html

Well, let's see what big Steve has got next for us.  Awaiting my orders ;)

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Excellent report, Jack.  :)

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner