Wargaming, the weak Pound and .....Brexit

Started by Sunray, 09 October 2019, 10:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I think that's the real trouble at the moment, that nobody has any idea of what's going to happen so it's difficult to know what we need to do.  We've got our EORI number in place but they've not advised of much beyond that. 

Paperwork for exports is more of a hassle for large companies doing pallet sized exporting, so doesn't affect us as much.  Our export agent for 99% of our packages is Royal Mail, so we would just need to provide a HS Code for whatever we're sending out.  We're moving to a Royal Mail postage account in the next month as well, so that we're dealing with them directly rather than through our current franking machine.  This adds an electronic record of every package sent as well, which ticks more of the boxes for exporting.

If I'm honest, I can't see it affecting a great deal in direct terms for the customers.  If you're in an EU country and we leave the customs union then you'll be getting all of your products at the ex-VAT prices, saving you the 20% VAT on all your purchases.  That would then be offset by whatever your internal country VAT rate is, and most of those are about the same: France 20%, Germany 19%, Belgium 21%, Spain 21%, Netherlands 21%, etc.  I don't know if there are any additional handling charges for processing the parcels (like there is in the UK)?  And whether they catch every package or a large number slip through?  You could potentially get everything a lot cheaper if your Customs people don't check every parcel?

There may be some pricing adjustments on the postage side of things as the Royal Mail and European counterparts work out what they'll be charging each other.

Metal pricing is in $'s but fluctuates more on global market movement than currency exchanges.  When the Chinese were buying up raw materials 7-8 years ago the metal prices went through the roof, but it wasn't sustainable in the long-term and they had to start offloading it again, bringing the price back down.  As I mentioned above, Brexit caused an immediate 20% jump but it's come back down now and is roughly the same as it was just before the referendum.

So, best case is that they figure it all out and nothing really changes in terms of the customs union and exporting.  Worst case is that EU customers will have to pay an internal VAT + handling fee on their purchases and that our shipping charges might need to go up slightly.

(In the latter, smaller wargames businesses will suffer a lot more as they don't have the VAT to knock off for EU customers.  Their existing customers will have to start paying internal VAT + handling on top of the current prices.)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

I believe handling price for customs in belgium is 7€. But small things usually get left alone. They check big ones though, i found that out when i bought a second hand cadian army from the USA.

But by some chance the bill in there stated 100€ instead of 400 (like i paid) and so taxes were minimal  :P ;)

Sunray

And as we speak, the mere hint of a deal - de jury customs border on the Irish border, de facto border Irish sea - and the Pound picks up and heads North.

The DUP won't like it, but the maths at Westminster are changed.  They already conceded a Single Market  check in the Irish Sea, so on a dodgy wicket.

N Ireland might even get a second referendum - "Do you wish to remain in the EU customs union?"   Yes/No :)   

mmcv

Quote from: Sunray on 11 October 2019, 04:57:55 PM
N Ireland might even get a second referendum - "Do you wish to remain in the EU customs union?"   Yes/No :)   

No doubt followed by "Which union would you like to be a part of: UK or EU. Pick one."

Sunray

If the NI Federation of SB get what we lobby for we will have the best of both in an Enhanced Economic Zone. https://fsb.org.uk>doc>default-source-fsb-org-uk-northernireland.  The Six County Area of Northern Ireland would  have Free Port Status.

For example :

I set up a NI company and buy wargame figures from Leon - no duty tax other than UK VAT which I reclaim from HMRC
I simply prime them.  They are now a Product of N Ireland (poni)
I can then sell to Peter and rest of EU without customs duty or paper work as long as bearing the PONI stamp.

Meantime the UK subvention (£10 billion?) under the Barnett Formula gives us NHS, free prescriptions and all other UK benefits.   

Like I said - best of both.   :)

mmcv

Interesting.... What's the chance of that happening? Northern Ireland: Singapore of the West. Could be good.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Quote from: Sunray on 12 October 2019, 09:28:00 AM

I can then sell to Peter and rest of EU without customs duty or paper work as long as bearing the PONI stamp.

Quote from: mmcv on 12 October 2019, 09:42:36 AM
Interesting.... What's the chance of that happening? Northern Ireland: Singapore of the West. Could be good.

And then, like with cheap products from china, we claim we didn't get them and ask our money back via paypal  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Cook

Quote from: petercooman on 12 October 2019, 11:53:48 AM
And then, like with cheap products from china, we claim we didn't get them and ask our money back via paypal  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That would be dishonest.

petercooman

Quote from: John Cook on 12 October 2019, 12:07:27 PM
That would be dishonest.

Just a joke, wouldn't do it if it's not necesarry. Had to do it on one occasion though, really didn't get what i ordered. China is a bit hit and miss on shipping.

John Cook

As I understand it, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, all goods traded between the UK and the EU after 23:00 on 31 October 2019 will be subject to the same requirements as if the UK were a non-EU 3rd Party Country, with which the EU has no trading agreement.  
Duty-free trading between the UK and EU will cease and EU tariffs will be applied to UK goods.  Customs and other declarations will be required by the EU and all other EU rules and regulations for non-EU countries will apply to movements between the EU and the UK.
HMRC will apply tariffs to all imports from the EU as it sees fit.
This will make UK exports more expensive for EU customers and EU imports more expensive for UK customers.  
This does not take into account a potentially devalued pound.

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 12 October 2019, 09:42:36 AM

The Irish Gov OK'ed, the EU need more discussion, the Brits interested .....Only the DUP whinge about deviation from UK customs and standards. But with the changing maths in the Division lobbies......that can be circumvented....

Hence the idea of a referendum.

petercooman

Quote from: John Cook on 12 October 2019, 12:34:30 PM
As I understand it, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, all goods traded between the UK and the EU after 23:00 on 31 October 2019 will be subject to the same requirements as if the UK were a non-EU 3rd Party Country, with which the EU has no trading agreement.  
Duty-free trading between the UK and EU will cease and EU tariffs will be applied to UK goods.  Customs and other declarations will be required by the EU and all other EU rules and regulations for non-EU countries will apply to movements between the EU and the UK.
HMRC will apply tariffs to all imports from the EU as it sees fit.
This will make UK exports more expensive for EU customers and EU imports more expensive for UK customers.  
This does not take into account a potentially devalued pound.

I already paid for my crisis pre orders, so does that count as before 31 october? Even if i receive them after that  :P

John Cook

Quote from: petercooman on 12 October 2019, 01:42:40 PM
I already paid for my crisis pre orders, so does that count as before 31 october? Even if i receive them after that  :P

Not sure but I suspect it will if it enters the country after the deadline.  I buy quite a lot of stuff from the US and depending on the value declared by the sender you have to pay VAT and Duty on imported goods.  Unless some kind of deal is struck with the EU I assume the same regime will apply to goods imported from the EU. If it does do the charges are collected by Royal Mail before delivery, and they make an additional charge for the 'service'.  Presently gifts under £39 and other imports worth less than £15 from outside the EU are not taxed and do not have duty applied.  I presume this will apply to imports from the EU after Brexit.

I have found that, generally, anything around a value of £30 gets through, gift or otherwise.  I suspect that it costs too much to collect the tax and duty such a small amount attracts.     

Sunray

Quote from: petercooman on 12 October 2019, 01:42:40 PM

I can confirm that tariff incurs  on and at the date of entry into the State/country/trading community in question.  In this case the EU,   but PEASE Peter,  hold fire until we see what deal emerges in the current talks.

I fully take your point Peter that a "Crisis" collection saves on postage. The goods are technically yours, but the tariff - if there is one -  hangs on the deal.

Perhaps Leon, it would be prudent to advise European customers who order for a Crisis collection that the quoted price is based on EU status quo and in a "worst case scenario" there may be a tariff ?  They can then choose to (a) await the Brexit outcome or (b) incur postage  for immediate delivery.

I am just back from the Oireachtas. Not a Government TD in  sight. They have all been muzzled and hacks were asking me if I knew anything about how the DUP were responding.  The senators I dined with, confided that the news blackout was a  very positive sign.  A lot hangs on the more Eastern State members of the 27.

But what I can say is that by the Brussels  summit  in four days time the prospect of a orderly deal will be leaked.  If its definitely on,  collect at Crisis, if in doubt, count the beans between postage and the tariff .   

I hope this intel is of some help, and thanks to Phil for letting the thread run.