WW2 M3 half tracks with British seated troops with side backpack and rolls etc.

Started by MartinKnight1333, 09 October 2019, 10:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinKnight1333

is this something that might be in the offering as I woul dhave 14 immediately  :D

Zippee

Leon

Seated troops are looming very soon, for all of the major nations, along with drivers as well...
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Course Martin only nees 12 M5's, CHQ rode in M3 White Scout Cars. (Feeling pedantic).

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 09 October 2019, 02:48:20 PM
Seated troops are looming very soon, for all of the major nations, along with drivers as well...

If you base them in the vehicle with a small blob of Bluetack,  you can show the APC empty when they debus.  :)  Simple.

Dr Dave

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 October 2019, 04:04:24 PM
Course Martin only nees 12 M5's, CHQ rode in M3 White Scout Cars. (Feeling pedantic).

IanS

I'm politely asking Ian to make a bit of room in his sandpit as I join him and add: "But BHQ would be back in the M5, or more likely an M9."

Pedantry is a gift, a skill... a way of life.

MartinKnight1333

I want M3 half tracks for motorised infantry not m5 light tanks lol ;D

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

MartinKnight1333

There is no refernece to M5 for half track in any book I have ?

I stick with M3 as the M5 was not British but a later M3 model in production only.

The M5 is a different model of 1/2 track, has a different engine and rounded corners, mostly supplied on lend lease, although a lot of the British ones were converted from M14's to troop carriers. That's why many British 1/2 tracks lack the pulpit of the "A" variant. A rough guide is M5 equates to an M3, M9 to M2 but with a full sized body, M14 to M13, M17 to M16. As an aside most of the Israeli 1/2 tracks came from British reserve stocks in the late 50's, so would be M5/M9. Many many years ago Airfix Mag published a photo of one being loaded in Liverpool.

IanS

ps - that's why I used M3 for all the 1/2 tracks in the tabletop books, and had someone write to point out that the Russians had only 2 M3's
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

M5 half-track
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The M5 half-track (officially the Carrier, Personnel, Half-track, M5) was an American armored personnel carrier in use during World War II. It was developed in 1942 when existing manufacturers of the M2 half-track car, and M3 half-track could not keep up with production demand. International Harvester (IH) had capacity to produce a similar vehicle to the M3, but some differences from the M3 had to be accepted due to different production equipment. IH produced the M5 from December 1942 to October 1943.

Using the same chassis as their M5, IH could produce an equivalent to the M2, which was the M9 half-track. There were also variants of the M13 and M16 MGMCs based on the M5. The M13 and M16 were exported to the United Kingdom and to Soviet Union respectively. The M5 was supplied to Allied nations (the British Commonwealth, France, and the Soviet Union) under the Lend-Lease. After WWII, the M5 was leased to many NATO countries. The Israel Defense Forces used it in several wars and developed it into the M3 Mark A and the M3 Mark B.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

The pertinent question being, are any of these differences visible on a 10mm model?

And if they are how would you convert an M3 to an M5?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

MartinKnight1333

10MM in this scale it really doesn't matter as the differneces are miniscule.

the M% was still a later variant of the M3, so it all depends on when and where its used at what time.

So endex all i want is the troops in lol :)

Dr Dave

Quote from: MartinKnight1333 on 10 October 2019, 08:19:17 PM
10MM in this scale it really doesn't matter as the differneces are miniscule.

the M% was still a later variant of the M3, so it all depends on when and where its used at what time.

So endex all i want is the troops in lol :)

I fear that the differences are quite apparent. The most obvious is the M5 and later types have very different front mudguards to the US M3.

The issue goes beyond WW2. The Israelis refer to ALL of their 1/2 tracks as M3, even when they're clearly not.