Basing help for Rommel

Started by Dr Dave, 06 October 2019, 12:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

So I've played BKC for years and years. All of my North Africa stuff is based on mdf, 2mm thick. Occasionally I want to play Rommel. These really require unit stats on the base. So I tried post-it notes cut to size with a cm or so sticking out the rear edge to record the strength / type of unit etc. It was OK but not as robust as I'd like. Ideally I'll like thick card on the back edge with the relevant details showing. So I was thinking of a crap glue (like post its) that leaves no residue so I can bin the "stat. card" base and go back to BKC as and when.

Has anyone used anything like this? Is there a better way?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

2 small holes in the back, and add cocktail sticks with stats on a banner might work
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Could you mount them on a sabot base, with the stats on this?

Raider4

fred.

What I do is print the stats on to normal paper, in a strip about 7-10mm deep, then cut these out, leaving a generous amount of paper to go under the base. Then I use prit-stick to glue the labels in place. This holds well for a game, and can be removed pretty easily afterwards.

I do something similar for FKaP.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T13A

Hi Dave

Whenever I have to use labels on the back of bases I use MS excel for the label itself, print off on thin card, cover with see through sticky back plastic (yes, I did watch Blue Peter back in the day) and attach to the base with a small piece of something called 'Invisible Tape' from Tesco. I also put a bit of gloss varnish on the underside of the base just where I attach the label this helps a lot when peeling the label off. The sticky back plastic on the label means I can use non-permanent pens to mark off 'hits' etc and simply wipe off and use them again and again. Hope that helps.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 06 October 2019, 10:40:46 PM
Blu-tack

Thats the stuff...relabelled half the Covenanter army units l used in our last game in about 5 minutes by just blu-tacking pre-prepared labels on them.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Dr Dave on 06 October 2019, 12:20:18 PM
So I've played BKC for years and years. All of my North Africa stuff is based on mdf, 2mm thick. Occasionally I want to play Rommel. These really require unit stats on the base. So I tried post-it notes cut to size with a cm or so sticking out the rear edge to record the strength / type of unit etc. It was OK but not as robust as I'd like. Ideally I'll like thick card on the back edge with the relevant details showing. So I was thinking of a crap glue (like post its) that leaves no residue so I can bin the "stat. card" base and go back to BKC as and when.

Has anyone used anything like this? Is there a better way?

So what did you finally do?  We tend to use off-table sheets as the stats are rapidly learnt and remembered so we just need to mark the casualties.

steve_holmes_11

Are stamp hinges still a thing?

Dr Dave

What did I do?

Laminated cards with the stats protruding out from under the base. Mark off the casualty boxes with a whiteboard marker. Lose the "card" for bkc games.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Dr Dave on 12 February 2020, 07:36:59 PM
What did I do?

Laminated cards with the stats protruding out from under the base. Mark off the casualty boxes with a whiteboard marker. Lose the "card" for bkc games.

Smart move.  We use micro dice to mark the casualties but the laminated card is a trick worth remembering.  BKC are not rules for my taste so the dilemma does not arise.

mmcv

I've been planning to experiment with magnets for armies with multiple rule sets, have some magnetic tape I found on eBay that's about the thickness of a 2mm MDF base that I think will work well for labels combined with some ferrous paper.