Advice for attaching fiddly bits...

Started by mmcv, 05 October 2019, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Does anyone have a magic method for sticking things with only a small surface area together? With poles and spears that break I tend to drill a hole and insert that way for a bit more security, but if that's not an option what do people do?

For instance, I'm modifying a sword into a hammer but not having much luck attaching the hammer head to the shaft. So far I've tried superglue and modelling paste. I could potentially use some Milliput Superfine though from last experience it's not usually enough for such a small attachment. I suppose I could have a go at sculpting it myself though something that small would likely be difficult.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mmcv

Quote from: Fenton on 05 October 2019, 08:18:54 PM
I would suggest maybe araldite

Ooh there's a thought. Will give it a go thanks.

paulr

Have you tried super glue and baking powder?

I've not tried it really small bits but it certainly dries fast and seems to give a stronger bond than super glue alone
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Super glue gel rather than the liquid variety?  :-\

The extra viscosity is usually strong enough to grip a small part in place whilst it dries and it tends to lose some volume as it dries so you don't tend to end up with too huge a blob around the attachment point...
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

mmcv

Super glue and baking powder was first attempt unfortunately, did hold initially but snapped at the slightest pressure. I have tried the gel ones in the past for similar things and find you end up needing a fairly large blob to hold. Think I've some metallic epoxy that might be worth a go. Might try it out tomorrow if I've time.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mmcv on 05 October 2019, 11:10:12 PM
Super glue and baking powder was first attempt unfortunately, did hold initially but snapped at the slightest pressure. I have tried the gel ones in the past for similar things and find you end up needing a fairly large blob to hold. Think I've some metallic epoxy that might be worth a go. Might try it out tomorrow if I've time.

This may be just too insanely fiddly, but what about a sliver of micropore wrapped over the axe head to act as an anchor?  The glue would soak into the micropore to secure the lot firmly in place.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

mmcv

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 05 October 2019, 11:16:20 PM
This may be just too insanely fiddly, but what about a sliver of micropore wrapped over the axe head to act as an anchor?  The glue would soak into the micropore to secure the lot firmly in place.

Interesting thought. Fiddliness may be an issue as you say but another option to add to the list to try.

lowlylowlycook

I think Infinity and maybe Wyrd are supposed to have minis with tiny little bits to attach.  Maybe find out where those players hang out.

mmcv

Couldn't find the metallic epoxy but did find some cheap resin epoxy I'd got to do water effects and hadn't used yet. Using a small blob of it seems to have held well to gentle prodding. Will have to see how it holds up under the brush but seems good. Cheers guys!

Terry37

Doing as much conversion work as I do this is a constant challenge. Add to that many figure makers don't always create figures to protect the weapon, (sword, bayonet, spear, etc.) from probable damage during a game.  Anyway, here's what I do.

When ever possible I peg things so that the peg helps hold the piece in place and also makes it stronger. Of course I typically game in 15 MM, so it's a lot easier for me to do than if it were 10 MM.

If a weapon looks to be in a perilous position due to the figure's pose I try to re-pose it so I can glue the end of the weapon to say a hat/helmet, or other part of the figure. If the pose doesn't allow for that, then, depending on what type of weapon it is, I remove the cast one, drill a hole in the figures hand and add a new weapon made of brass wire if possible or one I've made from scrap bits. I never liked figures with cast spears, pike,s etc. on a weapon because after the first game they start looking like spaghetti. so I always remove them. But those cast spears are so useful as you can flatten them to make new items/weapons, etc.

I find it very hard to glue a non-pegged piece and that's probably because I can't get a true straight cut, so the bond is weak.

Hope this is of some help,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

mmcv

Hi Terry,

Yeah I've had similar experiences doing minor conversation. I haven't the patience to replace hundreds of spears for an army but have used pinned rods to fix a few snapped weapons or convert units into flag bearers.

The resin epoxy worked pretty well though so I may give it a go again for future breakages.