Huns and Romans again.

Started by FierceKitty, 01 October 2019, 08:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

German mercs broken on first contact by Ostrogoths. :(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Fortunately, the legions held together well, and our cataphracts broke the Hunnic nobles and chased them and Attila off the field. Final result was an indecisive Roman victory. Frankish allies have their uses.

FierceKitty

The Romans got a bit of useful terrain; cavalry-proof scrubland which isolated a probing force of Hunnic LC; when the Frankish allies and the Roman lights nutcrackered these, it could go only one way.

FierceKitty

We had our bad luck too. The Alans were the right troops in the right place with the wrong dice, and the Ostrogoths crunched them up; while the Visigoths on the far right fell victim to Hunnic archery and numbers.

FierceKitty

06 October 2019, 10:42:17 AM #34 Last Edit: 06 October 2019, 10:46:08 AM by FierceKitty
The guards foot did well, however, pelting the hostile Franks with darts and cutting them up effectively with smallarms despite a dangerous Hun attack in their rear. This time Lee's dice let her down very badly. Also note cataphracts and Aetius seeing off the Hun nobles; Attila himself was taken in the pursuit, though it may be that Aetius would have chosen to release him.

FierceKitty

06 October 2019, 10:44:02 AM #35 Last Edit: 06 October 2019, 10:45:37 AM by FierceKitty
We were in the Netherlands a few months ago. I think Lee's learned something about lighting and composition from Dutch artists.

FierceKitty

Note extensive proxying in the Hunnic army. Gepids are Pendraken Picts, Alans are Copplestone Rohirrim, Huns are Pendraken Mongols, and Franks are largely Magister Militum dark ages axemen of some sort. Many of the Goths started life under other banners too.

paulr

Game  :-bd =D> :-bd

Artistic photograph  :-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

And one more time. The Siamese person is getting really keen on Huns...a bit worrying, really...

FierceKitty

Halfway through round one; Aetius has been killed in a single combat, and King Widimer of the Ostrogoths has been transfixed with a catapult bolt.

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 06 October 2019, 10:44:15 PM
Game  :-bd =D> :-bd

Artistic photograph  :-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Agreed.....On both points !

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Hmmmph....dam' silly way to spend Sunday afternoon, when a man should be considering the state of his immortal soul....

FierceKitty

After spearing the Patrician, the Great Khan, God rot his dice, held back in the centre and threw in two strong cavalry wings. My response was less than optimal; the Palatine legions were very lazy about getting into action.

FierceKitty

My Sarmatians lost their shooting match against Lee's, though shooting the Ostrogothic king with a catapult was some comfort. The white-plumed guards infantry had some absurdly lucky rolls with their darts, and a unit of barbarian cavalry skedaddled (though they rallied later).

FierceKitty

I thought I had it here, but a recurring pattern was that outflanked enemy units didn't notice they were being attacked, as I rolled a string of ones.