Coventry Leg of the 2019 GBnUIT

Started by Terry37, 29 September 2019, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Here is a link to a brief report of the Coventry Leg of the 2019 Good, Bad and Ugly International HOTT Tournament hosted by Pete Duckworth.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ailr4oXqR_o3DDOdGDtdLC11NipU2haT073Lu85f7X8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I was pleased to see that Mark Fry, who expressed interest on this forum about attending took top honors!!!! Congratulations Mark!!!!

Next up will be Bob Carter with the North Yorkshire Leg on October 20th, followed by me with the Nashville Leg on October 26th.

Thanks Pete for getting us off to a great start!!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Good to hear its got off to a good start :)

Congratulations Mark =D> =D> =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Shedman

Big Insect

Thank you folks ... I feel rather embarrassed ... as I hadn't played HoTT in at least 5 years, if not longer ... and had no practice games ahead of last Sunday!  :-[

HoTT is however a truly great set of rules ... possibly the greatest ... as it is simple to get to grips with & remember (like riding a bike); consistently fun; easy to play and so very flexible.

The Godiva/ GBnUIT format was interesting - 2 games with your own army and 2 games with your opponents army ... I used my 15mm 'Riders of Rohan' force consisting of:

Knight General: Theoden
Hero: Eomer
Paladin: Eyowen and Merry
Magician: Gandalf the White
+ 5 Knights: Riders of Rohan
Stronghold: The Halls of Edoras
Terrain: The Riddermark - consisting of 2 pieces of rocky impassable, a large low hill and a small section of Fangorn Forest.
Although I only played on that terrain once and I was the attacker in that game, as the D'regs (see below)

We played 4 games - I won 3 & lost 1
Game 1: was against a 100 Years War French (lots of knights)
Game 2: was against a Celtic army (with a wizardly bunch of druids)
Game 3 (my loss) was me using a Wicked Witch of the West - Wizard of Oz army - a lovely army - but I couldn't throw enough command pips to execute an elaborate plan of envelopment
Game 4: I used a Terry Pratchett D'reg army to win (lots of fanatic camel/knights, fierce flocks and psychotic chickens)

The secret of my success appeared to be my focus on destroying my opponents generals - as I won all 3 of my games that way - and my luck in fighting against or with armies with knights ... which tend to produce decisive games, one way or the other.

Great fun ... and as always I came away with my head brimming over with ideas for new forces or vows to paint up ones I already have in my painting pile (like the very nice frog army I bought from East Riding Miniatures or that John Carter of Mars army with the airships that lies half-converted in a box in the cupboard).

Sadly I don't think I will be able to make the other UK legs of this event due to other commitments. But thanks to Pete for organising it.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

paulr

QuoteThe Godiva/ GBnUIT format was interesting - 2 games with your own army and 2 games with your opponents army

That sounds an interesting format, when using your opponents army I assume they are using yours :-\

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mark - you actually won something !!!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: paulr on 30 September 2019, 09:13:48 PM
That sounds an interesting format, when using your opponents army I assume they are using yours :-

Yes - spot on - it could lead to the possibility of constructing an army that is so fiendish to use that you can win with it but nobody else can ... but I'd suggest that this might be the route to true madness !!!

Maybe an force consisting all of lurkers, flyers and sneakers .... ???
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

Careful Ian !!!

I was once a National Champion in my youth - I cannot even remember what set of rules it was with or what period - possible under 16's ancients and with WRG 5th Edition - but it was so very long ago  :'(

The thing is that I like competitive gaming but I am not actually that concerned about winning for me the competition 'scene' gives me an opportunity to play new people and new armies and learn how other clubs play with sets of rules.

I was (for many years) UK National Umpire for Armati ... which had its challenges, but was for the most part very enjoyable.

Quote from: Big Insect on 01 October 2019, 10:36:37 AM
Careful Ian !!!

That's unlikely.  I also ran both WWII and Modern Comps for the departed nationals, and came 7th in the Worlds. I used to get dumped with the occerd squad, all the hard players ! (no names, no sarth lundun suburbs beginin wit P)  The team won though  :D

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

You finally tipped me over the edge into getting the rules. Terry's posts and projects have peaked my interest in the rules a number of times, though the book has been hard to come by. This time round when I looked it was available on Amazon. Because what I really need in my life right now is ANOTHER set of rules to encourage me into ANOTHER new project...  X_X

paulr

At least they can be small projects and you can do them in the one true scale if you choose ;)

Big Insect

Totally agree paulr - I very often start a HoTT army with a single figure I like or I build out from an existing historical army by adding an element or 2.

So I have a 15mm Teutonic army, to which I added a rather nice mounted fighting bishop (as a Cleric) and just used my existing Order Knights (as Knight); Turkopoles (as Riders), Order Sergeants (as Shooters with Xbows) and a mass of Prussian Estate Levy infantry as Hordes - it worked very nicely as a HoTT army. I also have a sledge mounted bombard as an Artillery piece.

Its opponent is a Pagan Prussian - where  all I needed to do was to add a Magician (as Pagan Priests), as I have the General as a Warband General, but the rest of the army is either Hordes (of spear and axe armed tribesmen) or Lurkers (ambushes). You can add a Sneaker element as a band of raiders if you like. All played on a snowy terrain. With frozen lakes, impassable pine forests and snow drifts.

10mm figures on 40mm frontage bases would work really well. In fact I have seen smaller scale figure (6mm or 10mm) on the 60mm frontage bases to create real scale. That is very effective. The thing with HoTT is the base frontage - either 40mm or 60mm - I often use bigger scale figures to represent specific elements - I once fought against a 15mm Assyrian HoTT army with 30mm Assyrian King of Kings figure leading it ... just like the over large figures of Biblical Kings and Pharaohs in bronze age rock carvings.

All good fun.  I am looking forward to hearing about your HoTT projects mmcv

mmcv

I suspect it'll be a bit before I get into them as I'm embroiled in several new projects currently as is, but I'm thinking it might be a way to get some bigger scale models I've liked but not been inclined to go for a large army with. I've some big Celts and Romans languishing at the bottom of my stash in various stages of painting that could work well. Or start something new altogether and as Paul says could do some pretty cool stuff with the one true scale.

Need to focus on what I have at the moment first though!

Terry37

Catching up on stuff, and reading this makes my heart glad. First off, very well done mark!!! Interesting army too by the way. I was using my Eowyn figure as a hero, but I think I like her better as a Paladin!!! When Pete played in the Nashville Leg two years ago, I made a Green Man John Carter army for him to use, but it did not serve him well - too many mounted and he was the attacker every time so lots of bad going! Maybe you will take part again next year with a new HOTT army!

As for the HOTT rules, I can only agree with all that has been said. To me they are perfect because I find myself interested in so many eras and armies, and  added to that, my being a slow painter, doing large armies would never allow me to get on the battlefield. And, I truly love the flexibility of the rules - you are truly only limited by your imagination in creating an army!!! And you can play totally fictional battles or reconstruct historical ones - I've done both. A typical game lasts about an hour so you can get in multiple games in an afternoon, the playing area is small, and stuff is easy to store. What's not to like!

I will be very anxious to see what armies you all come up with, and offer to be of any help in anyway I can regarding the rules, army creation, etc. Just let me know.

Hoppy Trails

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams