Encounter on the Barrow Downs

Started by sunjester, 29 September 2019, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

Orcs came over to have another try at my Middle Earth variant of Soldiers of God. Since our last game I'd played with the points a bit (effectively making the elves more expensive and the crap orc snaga units cheaper).

The scenario is a basic encounter battle. Forces of the Witch King were trying to outflank Arnor's army but were intercepted on the Barrow Downs by reinforcements of elves and dwarves marching north to aid the men.

We each went for the same battle plan, a right hook with our strongest units, with the centre advancing in support and the left flank just holding ground. In the event our centre battles never met, my dwarves were delayed in their advance because Mark used a strategy card to demoralise them and it took me ages to get them back into good order.
More on the blog https://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/encounter-on-barrow-downs.html

mmcv

Good game! What made you pick Soldiers of God for the rules? I'm guessing you're giving the action cards a middle earth flavour?

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Nice looking minis!

Are those the plastic trolls from dark alliance? who makes the others?

sunjester

petercooman: Yes the trolls are the 1/72 plastics. The other figures are from a whole range of sources, dwarves from Vendel, elves from Grenadier and Kallistra, orcs from all sorts.

mmcv: I really like Soldiers of God and I have produced my own Middle Earth flavoured cards for it.

mmcv

Yeah it gives an interesting game, I've been meaning to get it in the table again and try out it's campaign system.

Techno

sunjester