More Help - McVitties size steel biscuit tins.

Started by steve_holmes_11, 25 September 2019, 10:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Can anybody direct me to steel tins like the biscuit selection tins that turned up every Christmas?
About a foot square and 3 or 4 inches deep.

I've found them useful for storing larger magnetized pieces.
Of late all the bikkies seems to be packed in cardboard (Some of those trees were my friends), cellophane or plastic (heartless polluters of the seas).

So an appeal for any current sources of that type of tin.

Thanks

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

slugbalancer

There's usually a better selection around Christmas time.  Be patient, there'll be in the shops shortly.

BTW I'm after Quality Street tins for my 6mm aircraft.  I'll be scouring the shelves going forward.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have loads that Mrs Lemmey hordes, first person to Leighton Buzzard can have 6!  :P
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No post in that part of the country ? Too primitive I suppose !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: slugbalancer on 26 September 2019, 07:47:34 AM
BTW I'm after Quality Street tins for my 6mm aircraft.  I'll be scouring the shelves going forward.

Quality St. (& others) 'tins' of sweets have been plastic for a fair few years now, haven't they?

Nick the Lemming

Have a look at your local pound / dollar stores (depending on location), they often do the same tins as christmas baking tins and you can pick them up for a pittance.

steve_holmes_11

Thanks for all the tips.
As a service I'll summarise suggestions here.

• Wilko's online store: It looks like a steel tin. The site has column inches on allergens, but no details on the packaging. I'm also slightly concerned that the depth of 4.9cm represents a downsizing form the tins that delighted us in our childhood.
  • Pound stores: Well worth a look since they've often got other stuff that only a wargamer could find a use for.
  • Wait for Christmas, since tins of biccies are now a seasonal delight.
  • One that occurred to me later: Mooncake* tins form your friendly local Chinese cash and carry. Another seasonal source, and I've missed the September 13th deadline this year

* The Wagon Wheel (tm) of the East.

slugbalancer

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 September 2019, 10:46:38 AM
Quality St. (& others) 'tins' of sweets have been plastic for a fair few years now, haven't they?
There are QS tins around, The larger sized offerings.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=quality+street&ref=nb_sb_noss
I like the look of the 2.9kg one. :)

jimduncanuk

Quote from: slugbalancer on 26 September 2019, 05:28:42 PM
There are QS tins around, The larger sized offerings.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=quality+street&ref=nb_sb_noss
I like the look of the 2.9kg one. :)

Now if only they had made their tins hexagonal instead of octagonal.
My Ego forbids a signature.

steve_holmes_11

A quick update.

Swizzles / Swizzlers - a vintage sweet assortment of sherbety goodness are in the shops.
Still using the classic almost square metal tin.

Spotted yesterday at Home Bargains, but present in other stores too.

slugbalancer

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 September 2019, 10:46:38 AM
My daughter has bought me a 1kg QS tin for Christmas from Sainsburys.  More hanger space for my 6mm aircraft.

Westmarcher

Running out of storage space for my expanding ECW collection, I bought two tin boxes of Belgian chocolate biscuits from M&S. It's amazing how quickly you can go off Belgian chocolate biscuits. But also exciting (sad life that I lead) when the boxes were empty and became available for my toys.   :-[ 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Denis - my opponent on Thursday - had a short bread tin for his markers for sword point, complained about having to eat the short bread !!

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021