Faster than a speeding bullet ...

Started by fsn, 21 September 2019, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Well not quite, but blimey!

I placed an order with Pendraken at 23:10 on the 18th. It was shipped 22:40 on the 20th. That is less than 48 hours!

Granted it was just a little top up order but wow:o

IIRC, when I placed my first order in 2013, delivery was 2-3 weeks.

Although the speedy gratification is ... well, gratifying, I do slightly miss the anticipation.

Anyway, thank you Pendraken for a superb service. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Leon, more powerful than a locomotive!  :-bd
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

A question that has occured to me is how, though we go mad waiting between the announcement of a new range and its becoming available, Pendraken does undeniably manage more releases in a year than any competitor in a decade. How do you chaps manage it?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: FierceKitty on 22 September 2019, 02:29:19 AM
A question that has occured to me is how, though we go mad waiting between the announcement of a new range and its becoming available, Pendraken does undeniably manage more releases in a year than any competitor in a decade. How do you chaps manage it?

A combination of lots of people and lots of hours!  The extra casting staff have really helped get the orders out asap now, so there's sometimes days where we're casting them as they come in, which is a nice change. 

The releases side of things has sped up with us training a second mouldmaker, allowing us to get through 3 or 4 moulds per day when we're at full speed.  The trouble with that is that it means I have to spend a lot of time prepping the figures for them, so I'm still doing 70-90 hours per week at the moment.  I'm hoping that once we work through the last of the backlog (Ancients, TB Line, Japanese) that we'll be able to relax into a more reasonable weekly schedule.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Sounds like you might have to train someone up on prepping the figures for the moulds :-\
Or at least the bulk of it...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 23 September 2019, 05:21:45 AM
Sounds like you might have to train someone up on prepping the figures for the moulds :-

I'd love to, but it's one of the things that I don't quite trust anyone else to do properly.  The cleaning up is vital to the quality that you guys receive so I don't want to risk mistakes on it.  Once we've got all of these ranges released though, it won't be as full-on and I'd be able to do maybe 1 or 2 days per month and still be ahead of ourselves.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

I suspected this might be the reason you do it, hence my "Or at least the bulk of it..."
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I have received orders before the email !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

My last order came ahead of expectation - thank you Leon.

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 24 September 2019, 12:56:07 AM
I suspected this might be the reason you do it, hence my "Or at least the bulk of it..."

I'll have a think, there's things like cleaning the bases or puttying any gaps which could be done by someone else possibly. 

Quote from: Norm on 24 September 2019, 03:00:26 PM

No worries!

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 24 September 2019, 03:28:45 PM
I'll have a think, there's things like cleaning the bases or puttying any gaps which could be done by someone else possibly.

This is the real b*gger.....I could do some of these chores umpteen times faster (and better.... :P) than most folk....But it's the back an forth costs that mount up, to the point of silliness.

Cheers - Phil  ;)

Westmarcher

In recent times I've purchased from 3 other manufacturers (don't worry - orders were in other scales) and not only was the shipping of each order far slower than Pendraken, the quality control was poor in each case; for one part of my order, the first manufacturer clearly hadn't lined up both halves of the mould properly, the second manufacturer sent me the wrong code and in the third one's case, one of three pack horses only had three legs!  Keep up the good work, Leon.  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Quote from: Norm on 24 September 2019, 03:00:26 PM

HMMM!!  That's what the Actress accused the Bishop of wasn't it ?  :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11