Visibility help!

Started by gizmok24, 20 September 2019, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmok24

Hey all! so I have a question about the visibility and terrain rules for BKC 4e. I play BKC at a company level where a base of infantry is a squad and a tank is a single tank as i enjoy that level of play more but the visibility ranges for me seem so small I like to use a lot of terrain houses feilds etc and for built-up areas, it's only 5cm range? and fields only 10cm that just seems so small to me I usually play with a house is the built-up area not the whole village the rest is either open or linear etc. But in the example it gives about high area terrain it says that infantry move into a woodland then stop on there next move they can move in and come to the edge they still count as having full visibility and cover for being in the wood but there visibilty is not impared so another infantry squad would need to be within 5cm to see them? and they can see there full 30cm? I just feel like these ranges are small and I was hoping to have some help with this or some suggestions for villages.towns and using buildings and ranges at the level of play I like to play at I use pendrakens 10mm minis also thank you :)

Big Insect

What scale of figures / vehicles are you using? 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm 25/28mm ?

It makes a big difference. The BUA templates are ideal for smaller scale troops and for a game where a unit equals a platoon.

If you are using bigger scale troops/models and so have individual buildings, you can apply the visibility restrictions to looking into the building or when inside it, if it is a big building, looking from room to room.
You'll need to use common sense, if you have a large empty warehouse (for example) then you can probably see end to end inside. But unless it has windows at ground floor level, seeing indide from outside might be impossible (other than through the doors). Generally it is hard (understatement) to see upstairs from downstairs in a building, or through walls  ;) but in a situation where your build template is a partial ruin or there is a lot of rubble or machinery scattered across a factory floor, the 5cm/10cm rule can work well. Representing the difficulties of unclear lines of site and potentially hidden enemy.

The trouble with any set of rules is that they cannot accommodate every situation or circumstance and get tied in knots when they try.
Generally a what you see is what you get approach works best. Woods for example can vary so much in their visibility as to almost require a dozen visibility variants. Some are dense throughout others dense at the edges and virtually open inside.

Hope that helps?

Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

gizmok24

I am using 10mm figures and i love the scale but I like to play at a company level where a base of infantry is a squad one tank is a tank and a house is a house and i like to use buildings for infantry to go into and towns to fight around so im really unsure how to jude the visibility.

Shedman

Treat each building as a separate built-up area and the roads as open so no adjustment required

Big Insect

A good call Shedman - that would certainly work
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.