Is David Starkey wrong?

Started by fsn, 17 September 2019, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

I was listening to David Starkey on the Brendan O'Neil podcast. He was his usual peppery self, and no-one could ever accuse Starkey of being a delicate wallflower or anything except opinionated.

Anyway, he did say something that I disagreed with. He said that Cromwell cleared Parliament out in 1653 at the point of a bayonet. As a Scotsman, it is of some painful recollection that the first use of the bayonet was Killiecrankie in 1689.

Did Starkey mis-speak or have I erred?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

Isn't it a turn of phrase - at the point of a bayonet ie physically motivated by sharp pointy things - rather than specifically meaning using bayonets
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

flamingpig0

I remember Brendan O'Neil when he was the enfant terrible of the Revolutionary ( or as  I called them at the time Rococo) Communist Party

As to Starkey I am pretty sure he is just using a turn of phrase rathe than being literal.

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

fsn

He may have been using a turn of phrase, but I do think it behooves him to be accurate. "Gunpoint" perhaps would have been a better phrase.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 17 September 2019, 10:01:26 AM
He may have been using a turn of phrase, but I do think it behooves him to be accurate. "Gunpoint" perhaps would have been a better phrase.

Implying Cromwell brought artillery into the House?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

He mis-spoke. An anachronistic error. Like someone commanding a body of archers to shoot at the enemy by shouting, "Fire!" I've always considered "at the point of the bayonet" as meaning to go in to the attack in close combat; face to face, hand to hand.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

The first time Lee encountered the term "charge home", she thought it implied routing back to camp. Reasonably enough.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

David Starkey, like several other notable historians has an established field of expertise.

The transition to the higher pay-grade of celebrity historian requires him to step outside that area.

I could muse for a while on the nature of historians: Is Dan Snow for example a better historian than Jeremy Clarkson.

Instead I'll suggest (implying no slight to Dr Starkey) that when dragged into comment on a spen of 5,000 years, celebrity historians are frequently wrong.

mollinary

But he is the acknowledged world authority on the activities of Henry VIII's Groom of the Stool in the afternoon of Thursday October 26th 1528.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Quote from: Westmarcher on 17 September 2019, 10:13:37 AM
He mis-spoke. An anachronistic error. Like someone commanding a body of archers to shoot at the enemy by shouting, "Fire!" I've always considered "at the point of the bayonet" as meaning to go in to the attack in close combat; face to face, hand to hand.
There historical sources for the use of fire as the command at times.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

Details, please. Interested in this one for a while now.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I thought the correct command to bowmen was "loose". Likewise the command to fire today is "watch and shoot" since if you shout fire everyone does, without aiming !

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 23 September 2019, 07:52:59 AM
. . . if you shout fire everyone does, without aiming !

ah, so Hollywood is right then!

Do they also have unlimited ammunition? At least up until the point where it's suddenly vital to the plot that they run out?

FierceKitty

23 September 2019, 08:27:59 AM #14 Last Edit: 23 September 2019, 08:29:52 AM by FierceKitty
Only if you mean the kind of arrows that drive clean through plate at two hundred yards but never wound the unprotected hero (or his even less clad feisty but dependent female sidekick) at twenty.