Painting Yellow

Started by Noktu, 16 September 2019, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I seem to remember that even the old Humbrol Enamels weren't that good in 'the yellow department', as far as covering over anything other than white....but in the tin they looked as tho' they'd even work over a black undercoat. (NO CHANCE !!)  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Just avoid painting east Asian armies! Sheesh, so simple, really.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Terry37

I find both yellow and white are colors that need multiple coats, but I try to keep the paint as thin as possible so brush strokes don't appear. So for these two colors I apply several thin coats and once a fairly decent covering has been made I try to start floating the color on. By that I mean, have it pretty watery and lightly touch the area and just let the color flow. Occasionally it might get on the surrounding color but I just go back and fix that. This works for me most of the time.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

DHautpol

A bit late to the conversation, but I use GW's Citadel "Averland Sunset" as the undercoat and then apply the "Yriel Yellow" over it.

If you dry brush the "Yriel Yellow", the "Averland Sunset" provides the shading too.  It's marketed as a Base colour and is intended to have the thinner paints applied over it; it's much denser than the "Yriel Yellow" which is quite transparent.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!