Painting Yellow

Started by Noktu, 16 September 2019, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noktu

Hey,

I've been wondering what yellow should I try out, as my army painter yellow paints are horribly transparent.

I've heard some good things about Vallejo yellows but I'd like your input and experience with the matter.

mmcv

I have similar experiences with army painter yellow, though I find their moon dust (I think it is) yellow to be better. It is quite a pale yellow so sometimes benefits from a layer of the more translucent darker ones over the top. Can't say I've used Vallejo yellow but the few Vallejo paints I do have tend to be a bit thicker and better coverage than the army painter equivalents.

There's a thread here somewhere about the banana smell of Vallejo yellow so I'm sure there's some who've used it here...

steve_holmes_11

I've yet to find an opaque yellow that works over a darker base coat.
I've found 2 solutions to this.

1. Don't use yellow.
2. If you must, then apply a white undercoat first.

Steve J

I've found Vallejo paints to be a good base to paint brighter yellows over. So something like Tan Yellow or Yellow Ochre works well, but the best bet is to look at the bottles and see which one you think works best as a base, if you are able to that is of course! Hope this helps?

Kiwidave

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 September 2019, 09:07:55 AM
2. If you must, then apply a white undercoat first.

This works :)

Painting yellow is my least favourite painting activity is it seems to take about 10 coats to get it looking right

Noktu

Yeah, I've been doing white/beige bases for the yellow. And to apply shading, a bit of mid brown wash to the recesses.

Like you said Mccv, moon dust is a rather pale yellow. So I'm looking for a good yellow base to highlight upwards from. Unimpressed with the AP stuff.

Steve J

Yellow is such a thin pigment, it is a sod to work with. We hate having to spray it at work, even with a dedicated base coat, it still takes a good few coats to get it looking right.

steve_holmes_11

Which makes me wonder why it's so difficult to get Turmeric stains off my worktops and even some cooking utenslis.

Further evidence that paint suppliers are in league with the illuminati.

FierceKitty

My better half loves my curries, but threatens me with mutilation if I spill turmeric. She'd sympathise with you.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

I was advised by a very good painter and trader that you should paint flesh tone first then top coat with yellow.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

jimduncanuk

I do my sci-fi yellows over a triple coat of white.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2018/10/warbases-loading-shovel.html

My British facing colour yellows are dry-brushed over an orange undercoat.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2019/06/fiw-british-infantry-wip-part-2.html

The yellow in both cases is Citadel YRIEL YELLOW.

My Ego forbids a signature.

fred.

Good work Jim, very strong yellows.

I hate painting yellow, and for some reason I have ended up with a huge epic Imperial Fits army - who are predominately yellow. White undercoat is key, using one of the yellow/brown base coats helps. Putting a pale brown wash over the top can help, if you want a slightly dirtier shade.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

Quote from: fred. on 16 September 2019, 07:55:52 PM

I hate painting yellow, and for some reason I have ended up with a huge epic Imperial Fits army - who are predominately yellow. White undercoat is key, using one of the yellow/brown base coats helps. Putting a pale brown wash over the top can help, if you want a slightly dirtier shade.

I have Epic Imperial Fists too.

I undercoated mine with white then dry-brushed/wet-brushed with orange/yellow combinations and then yellow/white highlights.

I must finish them one day and get them sold as I'll never play Epic again.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

I use Vallejo yellows and definitely endorse the two coat approaches above
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

I haven't used the army painter colours, but I've found yellow seems to work over a flesh base.