Started by Shedman, 11 November 2019, 04:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

The French Revolution is lacking cavalry

Can any one suggest proxies for 1796 French & Austrian Cavalry

Thanks

Alan

Terry37

Good question. As I am a big fan of the period I have also sought options for this area of need. It can be done. pretty easily though Now I game in 15 MM, but I am sure some of the same figures in 10 MM would also work nicely

French - Hussars - SYW with the mirlton, Heavy Cavalry - British or Austrian SYW Dragoon (need lapels - during the revolutionary period only one French Heavy Cav regiment wore the cuirass, the 8th. The French heavy Cav did not become cuirassiers with the helmet and cuirass until 1804),  Chasseurs a Cheval - British Light Dragoon in the Tarleton helmet. Dragoons looked basically the same as they did throughout the era- green coat with facing colors and the brass helmet. This will give you the basic figures to work from.

Austrian - Cuirassiers use SYW Austrian cuirassiers with just the breast plate, Dragoons - use a Russian Dragoon as you do not want lapels, or if you want to stretch it a bit, an ECW armored cav in pot helm and cuirass (but really this was only worn in the war against the Turks), Hussars - any hussar with a shako (the shako was not flared toward the top but was straight sided). Cheveaulegere - this is a bit tough maybe a trough one. They wore a cap like the Austrian Jager in the SYW (in 15 MM I am able to use the American light dragoon from their AWI range, just remove the bill to the cap).

These will give you the basic mounted types. You will want to get appropriate horses to make them look right, which  may not be the one the figures come with, or if a single casting, then paint it as close as possible to the proper shabraque. Also, since the SYW figures usually have a large cuff to their coat, that is easy if you just paint the cuff as the gauntlet to their gloves. And of course the uniform may not be he one that the figure is originally created to be.

If you need pictures or uniform info, just contact me off line and I can provide both.

Hope this helps,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Shedman

Terry - Thanks

As I only needs a handful I will go with Magister Militum

Terry37

Happy to help! Look forward to seeing pics!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams