Plastic discs for Hatches etc

Started by Heedless Horseman, 11 September 2019, 01:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Hmm. Could anyone advise me of an EASY way...(or supplier!!!)...of cutting small discs/circles of plastic card. Thinking 3-5mm diameter and .25mm or so thick. Thought about leather punch but discs will probably just stick in punch. Have tried slicing sprue but tends to fracture...cutting corners from a square can be a real pain and there is no way that edges can be filed when this small...and in quantities of dozens!  :o :'( ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

Print them to the right size, then glue the page to card. At least you'll be cutting out a printed outline. You might also consider finding a pro at a nail-maintenance beauty salon whose limited training has doubtless given her dexterity way beyond yours or mine in handling scissors. A polite word and a box of chocolates can work miracles.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Terry37

Not sure if this will work for you, but when I need something like that I take an old cast spear/lance and slice it. Depending on the scale of the figure you take it from can give a variety of sizes.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

A paper hole punch ?  :-\

That ought to cut thro' the really thin sheets of plasticard.

Cheers - Phil

OldenBUA

A leather hole punch will work fine. Yes, the discs will stick in the punch, but they can be pushed out easily. At least with mine, which has a revolving head with different hole sizes.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Heedless Horseman

Leather Punch does work, although fiddly...will only do one at a time...maybe blunt cutter.

FK...now that does sound good...however, a cold bath was required... :o ;)

Ithoriel

I use small discs of grey board to mark command values of BKC commanders and ship rating for ancient galleys. I cut a strip of 1mm grey board and feed it through a standard desk hole punch. Thin plastic shouldn't be much harder to work with.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Should be no problem with plastic at all. Only problem is getting small enough punches.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

The standard for your basic paper hole punch is a 6mm diameter hole (+/- 0.5,mm).

Heedless Horseman

13 September 2019, 02:08:05 AM #9 Last Edit: 13 September 2019, 02:45:29 AM by Heedless Horseman
'Normal' paper punches give bigger discs than what I am after...although I think I have seen a 'Christmas Cracker' single hole punch which may have made smaller holes...will look on ebay if can be bothered!  :o  Thanks for the advice, though, all of you!  :)

Have now ordered a single hole 'plier style' paper/ticket punch with 3mm option for under £5 on ebay...(Guess where from???  lol). Will have to try it and see!.

Aksu

I use a hollow punch set. Unlike the squeeze-like-pliers leather punches these are hit-with-hammer straight tubes. The plastic is easy-ish to push out with a stick.
A 3-12 mm set shouldn't cost too much.
Cheers,
Aksu